• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of PS Audio PerfectWave DirectStream DAC

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is that part I don't understand. It makes two assumptions:

1. All DACs sound different.
2. A high price tag makes it sound more different than the others.

All that to me is the hallmark of a pure subjectivist

thinking that it will change the sound of your system is just bonkers, if you ask me.

The impact of seeing a larger DAC case (Hugo 2 TT vs a smaller one Qutest) can seriously warp our perception of sound quality due to larger = better. Heck even just changing the color can impact our perception of loudness https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-on-perception-of-loudness.10217/#post-279298

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Oh and while you can totally correlate measurements to sound, you CANNOT correlate them to perception.

something I think would be fascinating would be to get dac and other audio reviews from someone with synesthesia.
Before talking anything else let's go through some steps. Don't say anything unless you go through these steps.
1, If you like something and don't want to know why then it's good. You enjoy music. If you want to know the answer you have to be scientific.
2, Do proper controlled listening tests before conclusion. Remove all the bias before asking any question. Does your mom know that you are retarded? The part "you are retarded" is unproven. So you will NOT get an answer.
3, Reading through things carefully and trying to truly understand it before trashing it or forming a "neutral" opinion. 1+1=2 or 3? It is mostly 2, but I think 3 has its own reasons. I can take both 2 and 3.

If you go through these steps you will realize:
1, You didn't really want a true answer but an answer that fits your imagination.
2, You cannot hear any difference between dacs. Because to untrained ears, distortion is way less audible.
3, You didn't bother to read anything scientific, and didn't bother to really understand what measurements are and what do they mean. Threshold of each measurements.

After going through all steps, you will realize there was no question. It's all because of the biased sighted listening.

amnesia0287

Before talking anything else let's go through some steps. Don't say anything unless you go through these steps.
1, If you like something and don't want to know why then it's good. You enjoy music. If you want to know the answer you have to be scientific.
2, Do proper controlled listening tests before conclusion. Remove all the bias before asking any question. Does your mom know that you are retarded? The part "you are retarded" is unproven. So you will NOT get an answer.
3, Reading through things carefully and trying to truly understand it before trashing it or forming a "neutral" opinion. 1+1=2 or 3? It is mostly 2, but I think 3 has its own reasons. I can take both 2 and 3.

If you go through these steps you will realize:
1, You didn't really want a true answer but an answer that fits your imagination.
2, You cannot hear any difference between dacs. Because to untrained ears, distortion is way less audible.
3, You didn't bother to read anything scientific, and didn't bother to really understand what measurements are and what do they mean. Threshold of each measurements.

After going through all steps, you will realize there was no question. It's all because of the biased sighted listening.

You clearly don’t understand what perception is. For example the color blue, we both recognize the same thing as blue, we both call it blue, but I have no clue what blue looks like to you and likewise you have no clue what blue looks like to me. If I could somehow see through your eyes, it’s entirely possible what I in my mind consider blue would appear green through your eyes. You also have to factor in the unique shapes of everyones ears, no two people hear the exact same.

Do you even know what the word theory is? Audio science is based in theory not fact, because that is how science works. My most used dac is still my Apple dongles (both the iPhone and usb ipad ones). I chose to splurge on my home theater despite knowing full well I am NOT a discerning listener. It has also become increasingly clear as I upgrade my system, the dac is amongst the least important components in terms of overall sound quality compared to all the things downstream. I feel like I can hear small differences in dacs, but since I can’t describe them, I’ve always assumed it was in my head. I still don’t regret my purchase at all, why does it matter to any of you what i buy? It’s not as if the alternative was me wiring you the remainder.

Anyway, there is no point in posting here anymore amongst people who would rather insult me and call me stupid or retarded (also that’s not very pc these days bruh) and attack me even when I am not disputing either the measurements nor the analysis, I am simply saying I like how it sounds regardless of what the data says. I’m not sure if you guys are just like worrying about my wallet or what, but I like how my dac sounds and I like how the stack with my preamp looks on my shelf.

Either way, I’m and adult and I prefer civil debate to trumpist style attack your “enemies” slugfests. Since it’s clear no one is considering what I am trying to say nor trying to be civil so I see no reason to even humor you further. Just a suggestion for the future, being rude to people simply because they don’t share the same opinion as you is neither useful or effective. It’s one of the biggest side effects of the internet in my personal opinion, everyone congregates into their own little echo chambers and attack anyone who they feel doesn’t belong. The days of debate are seemingly over.

Thank you to the few who provided useful and understanding responses. I think I will try a modi 3 just for kicks (or one of the dac/headamps since I need one for work anyway). I’ve been wanting to try more Schiit with my own ears anyway.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You clearly don’t understand what perception is. For example the color blue, we both recognize the same thing as blue, we both call it blue, but I have no clue what blue looks like to you and likewise you have no clue what blue looks like to me. If I could somehow see through your eyes, it’s entirely possible what I in my mind consider blue would appear green through your eyes. You also have to factor in the unique shapes of everyones ears, no two people hear the exact same.

Do you even know what the word theory is? Audio science is based in theory not fact, because that is how science works. My most used dac is still my Apple dongles (both the iPhone and usb ipad ones). I chose to splurge on my home theater despite knowing full well I am NOT a discerning listener. It has also become increasingly clear as I upgrade my system, the dac is amongst the least important components in terms of overall sound quality compared to all the things downstream. I feel like I can hear small differences in dacs, but since I can’t describe them, I’ve always assumed it was in my head. I still don’t regret my purchase at all, why does it matter to any of you what i buy? It’s not as if the alternative was me wiring you the remainder.

Anyway, there is no point in posting here anymore amongst people who would rather insult me and call me stupid or retarded (also that’s not very pc these days bruh) and attack me even when I am not disputing either the measurements nor the analysis, I am simply saying I like how it sounds regardless of what the data says. I’m not sure if you guys are just like worrying about my wallet or what, but I like how my dac sounds and I like how the stack with my preamp looks on my shelf.

Either way, I’m and adult and I prefer civil debate to trumpist style attack your “enemies” slugfests. Since it’s clear no one is considering what I am trying to say nor trying to be civil so I see no reason to even humor you further. Just a suggestion for the future, being rude to people simply because they don’t share the same opinion as you is neither useful or effective. It’s one of the biggest side effects of the internet in my personal opinion, everyone congregates into their own little echo chambers and attack anyone who they feel doesn’t belong. The days of debate are seemingly over.

Thank you to the few who provided useful and understanding responses. I think I will try a modi 3 just for kicks (or one of the dac/headamps since I need one for work anyway). I’ve been wanting to try more Schiit with my own ears anyway.
You clearly didn't read, did you? You didn't care to understand what I was saying, did you? I couldn't care less when you like something or dislike something. I jumped in because you were accusing the measurements amir did were wrong due to the complete lack of understanding of measurements and basic English.
You did exactly the same here, you didn't even care to take in what I said. You don't want to prove anything but proceed to make unrealistic claims and trash others work. This is all what you did here.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
ASR purists believe their judgements are based on objective truth in precision measurement. At least so far as audio equipment goes. So when someone has an opinion that stands outside the undeniable (grrrr) evidence it flies in the face of the purist beliefs. Then some of the purists get their underwears uncomfortably bunched up and they look straight down their noses at the outsiders. It's kind of obvious for most who casually watch what's new here. Pretty much like this anywhere you go where outside opinions fly in the face of core beliefs. Because we're humans with faults and beliefs we often can't conceptualize or rationalize. So we have faith and believe in the invisible.

You can't argue with stupid. Stupid is usually something you have to tolerate and when it's right there in front of you it can be very frustrating and irritating. Right? And stupid makes a good target for venting especially when it's stupid's fault.

I appreciate ASR.

:cool:
Always easy to be a cynic and reduce all matters to matters of belief.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
if you can explain why I like a particular sound or sound signature that others dislike, can you then also explain why I specifically like the color green more than blue?
Did you go into your TV settings and change the tint control so that the whole picture looks a lot more green? It is your favorite color, right? Surely that would be your preference in the picture to see skin colors being green. Red lips being green. Correct?

I bet you haven't. That if I made such a change, you would throw up and ask for neutral colors.

So don't use analogies like this. They make no sense. I have already explained to you how controlled research shows that we have similar preference in sound, not different. This is a misconception that you and many audiophiles have based on lay intuition as you reckon. "I like green better than blue" and hence I must like distorted sound better. No, you would not like distorted sound better if the only experience you had was the sound.

Which is a great thing. It means we can design audio gear that appeals to largest set of audiences out there. You would do well to read Dr. Toole's fantastic book, Sound Reproduction, Loudspeakers and Rooms:

1575937079351.png

He goes on to say later:
1575937216426.png

See? There is no indication that you should have a green sounding speaker and someone else, a blue sounding one. Above is based on decades of research into listener preferences in speakers and rooms.

So as you see, your perception of audio science is completely wrong to bring that color analogy. As I said to you before, in this forum, we go by what we can prove. And we have the research to prove your point of view to be incorrect.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Anyway, there is no point in posting here anymore amongst people who would rather insult me and call me stupid or retarded (also that’s not very pc these days bruh) and attack me even when I am not disputing either the measurements nor the analysis, I am simply saying I like how it sounds regardless of what the data says.
You don't how something "sounds." You know what you perceive. High-end chefs make pretty dinner plates because of the old saying of "you eat with your eyes." They are trying to get you to like something more than how it tastes. Same with DACs. You are fed stories and theories on why it sounds better. You used that in your brain to integrated with the sound and wind up with final conclusions. If you ever need to know how something sounds like, you need to only listen to sound (i.e. blind) and control other variables (e.g. level). Until you do that, you have a combination of factors, most of which dominate your perception far, far more than the sound.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Since it’s clear no one is considering what I am trying to say nor trying to be civil so I see no reason to even humor you further.
Have you considered that we have heard your point of view 1000 times? That we experience it ourselves? So we don't need you to come here with a protest flag to repeat it with no back up whatsoever? What about this forum led you to believe we just want to hear you give us their lay opinion, devoid of any research data to back it, and do it in such a disrespectful manner?

You think if a bunch of doctors were having a convention, you as a lay person could walk in and tell them you think smoking dried oregano cures cancer? Or taking a billion dose of multivitamins? Next time read the forum for a while and think hard before jumping in and challenging stuff left and right.

Despite all this, you have received a lot of civil answers. Your reaction has been to put your fingers in your ears and complain. We have no use for that.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

You have posted so much , no one here has a single worry or objection to you having a preference.

Don't conflate your preference with any greater meaning or truth other than what it is. You can attach any significance you like to your preference as it relates to you but don't expect us to consider it's worth beyond yourself and certainly don't expect anyone here to throw in all they know to comply with you and your imagination or perception as you like to call it .

You've made a ton of fuss where there is non.

It's quite simple.

zuli

Forum Donor
Probably it's a dumb question, but would it be possible to improve the performance of this DAC changing the output transformer? And if yes, which one?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Probably it's a dumb question, but would it be possible to improve the performance of this DAC changing the output transformer? And if yes, which one?

Putting a transformer in where it brings no advantage is a fundamentally poor design decision. So rather than spending a lot of money for a better transformer and putting in a great deal of engineering time validating and modifying the circuit to accommodate this change, a much better and cheaper idea is to buy a good DAC.

zuli

Forum Donor
Putting a transformer in where it brings no advantage is a fundamentally poor design decision. So rather than spending a lot of money for a better transformer and putting in a great deal of engineering time validating and modifying the circuit to accommodate this change, a much better and cheaper idea is to buy a good DAC.
Well, I guess my problem is that I'm a "proud" owner of as PS Audio "Not-so-Perfectwave" Directstream :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When it sounds good to you I see no reason for you not to use it.

The transformer seems to be an integral part of the filter so no, not easy to remove/bypass.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Well, I guess my problem is that I'm a "proud" owner of as PS Audio "Not-so-Perfectwave" Directstream :)

Use my “next sucker” principle, and that will give you the funds to buy something better. Polishing a turd only results in a smoother turd.

Cortes

Pass on this and buy a new great and cheap DAC. For old enough people around here, we have all been victims of marketing in some moment of our lives. I've a broken (a few months after warranty expired) multi $K AMR DP-777 dac serving as a great paperweight.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Pride of ownership and impressing friends and family IRL can overcome a lot bud :D

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Use my “next sucker” principle, and that will give you the funds to buy something better.Polishing a turd only results in a smoother turd .
Cryogenic treatment makes this much less unpleasant and messy .

Top Bottom