• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

Blur

Forum Donor
Yep, Fiio K5 Pro feeding the SP-200 via RCA unbalanced, resulting in buzzing noise for some reason - I guess my cheap RCA cable is the culprit.
Also, wondering if I should invest in Balanced DAC (like SU-8)...

Yes, a pass-through would be perfect and nothing much can't be said to the volume knob.

lol, shame this saying doesn't rhyme perfectly with my wallet, this is really an expensive hobby.
KNUPAC, did you resolve your buzzing. RCA is a great guess. First make sure the ones you have are fully inserted etc.

makmeksam

I was thinking to buy this if they had not skewed the body in a weird way! Why do they do such weird things?

Sak

Attachments

• IMG_20191127_113525.jpg
    IMG_20191127_113525.jpg
    1,021.9 KB · Views: 452

KNUPAC

Throwing a honest opinion,

For the past two days, after carefully listened thru SP-200, may i say this amp is dead cold? it feel soo sterile in a sense there is almost no wow factor beside it's overwhelming power.

I've tested a number of different sources
- Fiio K5 Pro via XLR/RCA connected to PC
- Hiby R3 via Line Out
- Hiby - Fiio - SP200

Cans/iems : K701, KXXS, MH755 and PK1

If i'm being totally honest, the amp on Fiio or Hiby is feel more dynamic / livelier compared to sp200.

but again, will continue listening with it

Jumbotron

For the past two days, after carefully listened thru SP-200, may i say this amp is dead cold? it feel soo sterile in a sense there is almost no wow factor beside it's overwhelming power.

- Hiby R3 via Line Out
- Hiby - Fiio - SP200

If i'm being totally honest, the amp on Fiio or Hiby is feel more dynamic / livelier compared to sp200.

In my case, I came from a portable Fiio E12 Mont Blanc. The change to SP200 for the better has been really noticeable.

MRphotography

It's definitely a true to source and headphone revealing amp.

I just got my Schiit SYS and LOKI and set them up the SMSL SU-8 and SMSL SP200 THX and if there is a recording that feels too sterile to me or as the OP @KNUPAC posted feels dead cold a little tone control and boom. Also allows me to get a different experience from my headphones.

or965

I contacted to the hifi-express store, where I bought from the Smsl sp200 about the hiss noise with earphone, especially with low impedance earphones like the kz as10 that has impedance of 14 ohms and after 4 days and two messages they replied,
"14Ω< 16Ω
The headset is too sensitive to hear the current sound of the thx module,not suggest to connect it with KZ AS10."

This is really upsetting response, the funny part is that before I bought the AMP from them I ask them if the AMP work with earphone that has minimum impedance of 8 and they said "yes,it can" .After I told them that they told me the I need to get a "Impedance noise reduction rod " which is a 3.5mm Impedance Adapter . I ask them for a replacement or a refund as I got a defective AMP but they still did not reply.

Blur

Forum Donor
It would be nice in the future if this amp, on low gain, is setup to run low impedance and high sensitivity IEM's. They have plenty of gain elsewhere for other more demanding headphones. It would expand the market for them as well.

Veri

Master Contributor
Would the SMSL SP200 be an upgrade to a JDS LABS ATOM in Sound Quality?
Definitely not. Geshelli Archel2, Atom, Heresy, THX amps are all extremely transparent. I cannot hear any difference, how could there be after all. They all measure at the same 0.0001% THD range. Differences will be power output, connections(input/output), aesthetics, ...

Blur

Forum Donor
If you don't enjoy your setup try the Schiit Magni 3 or swap out your headphones. The headphone swap is my highest recommendation if you want a change. Trying to change the sound quality by swapping out components designed to be transparent is not going to give you the results you seek. Been there many-o-time my friend.

MRphotography

Definitely not. Geshelli Archel2, Atom, Heresy, THX amps are all extremely transparent. I cannot hear any difference, how could there be after all. They all measure at the same 0.0001% THD range. Differences will be power output, connections(input/output), aesthetics, ...

Out of curiosity what would be an improvement in sound? Or does most of this forum just lean towards the most transparent best measuring device?

raif71

Major Contributor

- Hiby R3 via Line Out
- Hiby - Fiio - SP200

You prefer Fiio K5? , Nice to hear :p

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Out of curiosity what would be an improvement in sound? Or does most of this forum just lean towards the most transparent best measuring device?
1, When measurable distortion is under certain threshold, you cannot discern difference.
2, Better measuring devices are still preferable. But often also expensive. Cheaper good performer is the best. Mid-range to lower-end products that measure good are most recommended.

snowsurfer

I just want to pop in here to say that mine has been stuck in customs in Spain from Nov 28th and still not moving. I am now wondering whether all the origin documents are OK, but at the post office they had no further info. It seems that Shenzhen Audio (via Ali) may have messed this up. To throw a bone to our local EU retailers, I have to say that I could have bought at @Audiophonics and avoided this shitshow, while having a EU warranty - and it probably would end up costing me less...

EDIT: Shenzhen Audio has done everything perfectly, it is my post office that messed up and did not send an e-mail requesting the invoice for import.

Last edited:
Top Bottom