• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magni Heresy

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
Well, I would be happy to supply Amir with some equipment if he wishes to review a Magni 3+ and Heresy. My name is Tyler Noble and I am the Finance Director at Schiit Audio. Amir, I would be happy to be your contact if you would like to review a few of our new products. Feel free to send me a line.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Well, I would be happy to supply Amir with some equipment if he wishes to review a Magni 3+ and Heresy. My name is Tyler Noble and I am the Finance Director at Schiit Audio. Amir, I would be happy to be your contact if you would like to review a few of our new products. Feel free to send me a line.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the kind offer. I will indeed take you up on that. I will start a conversation with you shortly.

Veri

Master Contributor
That is very kind/cool of you! welcome :D

OP
T

Toroid

So cool that Schiit reached out like that. Amir, if you can also get them to send you a Vidar, would be fantastic. I've been considering that amp for a while. The Aegir is very nice but not enough juice to run my inefficient Vandies.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Note CE mark.

magni3plus-rear-19202.jpg

Modi 3 has an additional mark:

modi3-rr-19202.jpg

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
@amirm

+1 on the new schitt review offer!

May I suggest you ask for permission to also do a non-destructive teardown of the reviewed units? Given Schitts poor manual soldering with both loose and sticking solder 'bits and blobs' - this absolutely must be a part of the reviews..

Tks

Major Contributor
Anyone recall the days people would tell Amir "you think anyone cares about your niche little group of people who care about what analyzers say? I'll go back to enjoying the art of my music"

That didn't age well at all.

Regardless, this is amazing headway. And amazing to see when people take an honest look at doing something the proper way. And we now have T.M Noble offering to let a slew of products to cross proper third party objective review. Goes to show how when honest people honestly interact, the best sort of progress is made.

Jason Stoddard is an entertaining writer and discussed the new Magni amps in Full Heresy Mode.

I read this, and what a great introflection about both sides of the fence with respect to audio gear, especially with the parody's. Unlike some of the incendiary nonsense you see in other forums and review comments sections. The fact that he's able to condense both sides fairly like that goes to show the headway being made in AT LEAST understanding each side has gained about the other.

Great to see things going in a nice direction for a change on the planet these days.

Daverz

Major Contributor

Oo oo oo, I want to see a Freya S review.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm

May I suggest you ask for permission to also do a non-destructive teardown of the reviewed units? Given Schitts poor manual soldering with both loose and sticking solder 'bits and blobs' - this absolutely must be a part of the reviews..

Hope Schiit gives him a chance but it might be a slim chance though since someone tampered with the Schiit Ragnarok 2 loaner tour that they had offered earlier this year

deafenears

Forum Donor
Probably true, but that's what product development is about. By the time a product is released to customers it should be well sorted. Unfortunately in the past at least Schiit have had a habit of putting half baked products on sale and using customer experience to figure out what bugs still need to be addressed. A good and fairly recent example is the turntable mess.
No company can ever guarantee a new product is 100% sorted when it goes on sale, but companies like JDS and Benchmark put effort into getting it right before sending products to customers.
Minimum viable product - seems to be working for Schiit. Look at the market share they have compared to the likes of JDS and Benchmark.

makmeksam

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the kind offer. I will indeed take you up on that. I will start a conversation with you shortly.
Good things are happening. Wish to see a comparison of Heresy with JDS Labs Atom. Can’t wait to see the review!

Last edited:

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
@amirm

I see no problem with that. Have at it.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Schiit reminds me of a high Street fashion store , you have to squeeze lead times to get your products to market in time to benefit from the fashion buzz.

This can be a challenge, ultimately schiit offer a bunch of ' high street ' products that offer something at a obtainable price.

If they've managed to sort out their design and manufacturing process so those products are of respectable quality then I say well done to them .

Customers will be getting a better product thanks to the increased levels of scrutiny places like ASR have bought the industry.

I look forward to the results. Tackling this increased level of scrutiny head on and engaging in this way is smart and forward thinking , I thank @T.M.Noble for his willingness in this regard.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I'd follow up the test of the Schiit supplied item with one purchased retail if possible. Trust in Schiit management needs to be independently established given their past canning of ASR test results.
Don't%20tell%20anyone.gif

threni

Major Contributor
I'd follow up the test of the Schiit supplied item with one purchased retail if possible. Trust in Schiit management needs to be independently established given their past canning of ASR test results. View attachment 41476
How could it not be possible? Just need 5 sometime to pay for it though.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
I'd follow up the test of the Schiit supplied item with one purchased retail if possible. Trust in Schiit management needs to be independently established given their past canning of ASR test results. View attachment 41476

As this is the forum that tries to be as objective as possible in regards to our audio choices, I assume it would be fair to hold Schiit's products to the same standards as the other manufacturers. I am not exactly sure how Amir receives products but I imagine it is a combination of audio companies sending in their products, Amir purchasing these products himself, as well as private owners sending in units they have purchased on loan. Each of these options could show variability and bias. Companies can send in ringers. Consumers are variable on how they care for their equipment. As this seems as a non-unique problem for Schiit but a problem for any company who loans equipment to Amir, I would be more than happy to listen to what criteria Schiit Audio would need to follow that would better relieve your concerns.

What I can do is tell you how we selected these products. On the inventory shelf we grabbed two units. All of these units were previously tested, both by analyzer and human ears. We shipped it. Same way we do with all of our retail products.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
Schiit reminds me of a high Street fashion store , you have to squeeze lead times to get your products to market in time to benefit from the fashion buzz.

This can be a challenge, ultimately schiit offer a bunch of ' high street ' products that offer something at a obtainable price.

If they've managed to sort out their design and manufacturing process so those products are of respectable quality then I say well done to them .

Customers will be getting a better product thanks to the increased levels of scrutiny places like ASR have bought the industry.

I look forward to the results. Tackling this increased level of scrutiny head on and engaging in this way is smart and forward thinking , I thank @T.M.Noble for his willingness in this regard.

I appreciate the kind words. We are genuinely interested in making high quality equipment that is affordable and desirable. However, we also like making products that are interesting and fun to us. This is what brings us back to work each day. It's why this company has been a lot of fun to work at for five years. This telos has defined us. Some people love us for that, others don't. I get it.

I think Magni Heresy, as well as the published measurements we have put out of late, is proof positive that your concerns were heard. We like being ridiculous but we also need a consumer base that is satisfied with their purchase. I think Heresy is the manifestation of those ideas.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I don't think Schiit has anything to worry about sending in stuff like Modi3, Magni3 and Heresy.
1: They also measure it using AP555 and know for certain it will measure well = good review, no beheaded Panther.
2: There is no power supply in the devices so there will be no safety issues = good review
3: Very affordable and good looking (to me) = win.

This is excellent advertising for certain Schiit stuff (and rightfully so in that case) on the website that is said to be anti Schiit.
It is often said ASR are Schiit haters... 'we' are not.
When something measures poorly or there are concerns it is ruthlessly shown.
When something can be shown to be overly expensive or snake-oil then it is exposed as such.
When it measures great it is lauded and recommended.
Regardless of brand.

It may be another matter when scrutinizing mains fed stuff and R2R with all its technical challenges so to speak.
Schiit cannot go/do wrong with the mentioned budget devices (nor with Sys, Hel (providing decent USB), Mani etc.)

The only thing I wonder about is why you guys do not simply add DC protection on your amps.
One IC does it all and costs next to nothing compared to the already used relay.

I know that it isn't really needed when one has a Schiit stack and chances are the mentioned devices rarely, if ever, fail catastrophically taking out headphones but consider the fact that at some point someone will connect something that does have DC and kills his headphone without knowing or warning. You can save folks such hardship and avoid embarrassment and negative publicity.

Let's be clear I actually like Schiit, their humor and the down to earth approach.

Last edited:

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Seems that the new approach with OPA1688 in the loop of OPA1662 measures very well indeed, so quite a good performer:

Magni_Heresy.png

Source: schiit.com​

Top Bottom