• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magni Heresy

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You guys know that Schiit made this for schiits and giggles right? Then again I don't know how much QC effort they put on this since even Schiit themselves are schitting on this product. Then again at least you get 2 year warranty with questionable customer service for the cost of a Benjamin

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Looks well made and quite nice to me.
magni-heresy-pcb-1920.jpg

Just $ 99.- and a nice metal enclosure.
Measures just a little bit poorer than Archel2. More power though.
Someday, someone will send one to Amir and we get to see other measurements too.

My only comment would be the lack of DC protection (the amp is DC coupled) which would be really easy to implement given they already have an output relay in there.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Look one post above yours and/or on SBAF

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
How about the soldering job? Manual? Loose bits and blobs? Stuck on bits and blobs?

Or completely clean surface mount and thru hole by machine?

Does the output relay mean there is no worry about 'pops and clicks' if you don't have the volume at zero when turning on/off? (Unlike Geshelli?)

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Does the output relay mean there is no worry about 'pops and clicks' if you don't have the volume at zero when turning on/off?

That's what the relay is there for. It would not cost much more to use the same relay for DC protection on the output.
If only because the design is DC coupled.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The Heresy appears to be a little ball-tearer of a product for USD$99

I like the look of it. The red and black are fabulous. I think I might want one. Is that bad? :)
Christ, someone needs to restore John's sensibilities.

OP
T

Toroid

I'm not great at reading the results. Does it appear at first glance that it's on par (or even better than) the Atom?

threni

Major Contributor
The Heresy appears to be a little ball-tearer of a product for USD$99

I like the look of it. The red and black are fabulous. I think I might want one. Is that bad? :)

On this site it would appear to be! I actually became aware of this site whilst investigating whether I should buy the Asgard 3 and despite a lot of negativity the only root cause for it I could find was moaning about customer service and a short-lived technical problem with an amp they sold 10 years ago. I wonder if, during A/B testing of a schitt amp/dac and an alternative of a similar price/generation, the haters would actually be able to identify which was which? (I subsequently bought it, and think it's great).

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
This implementation should work very well, 8 opamps per channel in parallel. But how do they have such mediocre performance (for the component they chose). They are selling it for 99 dollars so I don't think there's anything bad about it either. Adi2dac has better distortion vs amplitude with two less opa1688s. (similar circuits)

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The guy who gets it right the first time probably failed a bunch of times before he started counting his trials.

Probably true, but that's what product development is about. By the time a product is released to customers it should be well sorted. Unfortunately in the past at least Schiit have had a habit of putting half baked products on sale and using customer experience to figure out what bugs still need to be addressed. A good and fairly recent example is the turntable mess.
No company can ever guarantee a new product is 100% sorted when it goes on sale, but companies like JDS and Benchmark put effort into getting it right before sending products to customers.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm not great at reading the results. Does it appear at first glance that it's on par (or even better than) the Atom?
I guess they didnt aim to be clearer than the Atom, just clear enough with way more power. 2.4 watts @32ohms is close to "can drive anything" mark.

Last edited:
Top Bottom