• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VU Meters: Let's See 'Em!!

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Here's mine.
Exa.JPG

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I don't really use one in real-time. But occasionally I run this to examine some horrendously "hot" tracks on the fly.

1574291495107.png

*Typical listening levels.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Anthem's new electronics have some pretty cool VU meters. They're mesmerizing in use:
str-stack.jpg

I always liked the original Squeezebox VU meters too:
slimdevices-squeezebox6.jpg

I'd love to see and hear one of these:
View attachment 39566

Martin

I hate to be a negative Nancy, I've just never found digital VU meters to be as enthralling as analog ones.

I don't know why.

Something different in the way they move....

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
If it’s just in the way it moves then that likely can be replicated/emulated digitally.

ajawamnet

I know I posted this in another topic - but if you like watching VU meters here's a vid I made of a great emulation of the old analog meters:

http://www.ajawamnet.com/ajawam2/lz-wll-vu1.mp4

vumeters.jpg

this was done as part of a remix project I did: http://www.ajawamnet.com/ajawamnet/remixoflz.html

The VU meter VST plugin is really nice. It's from TB Pro Audio and has various skins, ref levels, ballistics, etc

I have a set in my monitor path in Reaper - along with a bunch of other monitoring stuff:
meters.jpg

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is an interesting meter: The Stromtank. I think it's just a power conditioner of some sort.

st.jpg

Umm...that's not it. That's just the box. I know everyone wants to see the box it comes it. Below is the actual meter. I don't know what it measures, but it looks pretty cool. I guess.

S10000001.jpg

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As to McIntosh, they really do try to press every last dollar out of that VU meter fetish. Cheap at $1,800.
McClock-Angle-J.ashx

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Eh, never mind. I could fill every single wall I have with clocks of all shapes and sizes for that kind of money... the cacophony of ticking noises, besides.

JS Hoover

1975 Heathkit AA-1640 power amp (a "Franken-kit" once available based upon a combination design of surplus parts from a G.A.S. Ampzilla and Marantz 510M...however: it is a serious hunk of a tank moreso than those two and similar-era Dynaco):
heathkit 1975.JPG

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
As to McIntosh, they really do try to press every last dollar out of that VU meter fetish. Cheap at $1,800.
McClock-Angle-J.ashx
I gotta have one of those,
If only I could afford it. :(

1975 Heathkit AA-1640 power amp (a "Franken-kit" once available based upon a combination design of surplus parts from a G.A.S. Ampzilla and Marantz 510M...however: it is a serious hunk of a tank moreso than those two and similar-era Dynaco):
That is so KOOL, what a item for a vintage collector.
I know @restorer-john is drooling LOL
I love it. Is it yours, did you build it?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to have one of these in a full Pioneer rack system: TX-9800 tuner, SPEC-1 preamp, SG-9800 equaliizer, SPEC-2 amplifier.
pspec21.jpg

pioneer_spec-2_power_amplifier.jpg

Always wanted one of these: Pioneer SX-1280
pioneer-sx-1280-front2.jpg

Martin

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I had one of these for a couple of years:
509mitr.1.jpg

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to have one of these in a full Pioneer rack system: TX-9800 tuner, SPEC-1 preamp, SG-9800 equaliizer, SPEC-2 amplifier.

Always wanted one of these: Pioneer SX-1280
pioneer-sx-1280-front2.jpg

Martin
IMO, those were the glory days of audio. Sure, it was all analog, but for your dollar you could buy something, almost anything, that performed exceptionally well, and was really nice to look at. Although I admit that loudspeakers are generally a lot better today, than what was sold back then.

Top Bottom