• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Let's talk about food!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I hope you all share my love of good food. I thought I create a thread to post any all related food items. Anything is game as long as it looks or sounds delicious!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Google recommended this neat video of quick and dirty wood fired pizza oven. We have a fancy one that is in our kitchen but seeing this video makes me think it is all about family, comradery and simplicity

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Grilled Salmon, a bed of rice with steamed frozen mixed vegetables on top, Cream of Cocoanut with Panang Curry as a sauce on top of the veggies, a slice of grilled sweet onion, and some wasabi-laced soy sauce for the salmon.

This isn't exactly "as described", looks like somebody else here had the veggie idea that night, but should give the general idea.

It's one of my "Home Alone" dishes, which I had to prepare for myself by myself today. If I hadn't already eaten it I could have provided a correct picture.

upload_2016-10-16_23-5-5.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
That looks delicious Ray. Can you share the recipe for the curry and salmon wasabi sauce?

Recipe? For temporary bachelor food? Uh, ok...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

Curry Paste:

Ok. I prefer Mae Ploy curry paste, but I usually can't find it at the store, so Maesri brand is a substitute. I like Panang, there are many other flavors from which to choose

https://www.amazon.com/Mae-Ploy-Panang-Curry-Paste/dp/B000EICJWA

Coconut Cream:

Well! Whaddaya know. It's a case of 24 x 19 oz cans of Mae Ploy (told you I like them) Coconut Cream in my pantry:

https://www.amazon.com/Mae-Ploy-Coconut-Cream-Pack/dp/B01AZH2E1U

There can be some confusion here: Coconut Cream is a little thicker than Coconut Milk, but it's not insanely sweetened like Cream of Coconut (see Coco Lopez) which is used to make mixed drinks and not dinner.

Maybe it came from Amazon, more likely the little woman got it at a secret Asian store across town near the Buddhist Temple.

Wasabi Powder:

You can buy little tubs of wasabi goo that's ready to go, but, it's better to make it "fresh" from a bag of powder.

It's all fake. It's green tinted horseradish powder. Examle: https://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Powder-Japanese-Horseradish-2-2/dp/B001CWI8C2

Real Wasabi
upload_2016-10-16_23-59-13.png

Real wasabi is rare/expensive. It grows in the cool waters of flowing mountain streams between the rocks where everything is just right, although they can cultivate it. I've had it once.

A "rich guy" that worked at NEC for something to do and was part of the project invited us visiting cowboys out to dinner one night. Park on the side of the road, I didn't see a sign, just dirt. Walk up a winding trail through a bamboo forest (that was the name of the restaurant) for a hundred yards or so, come to a door that sort of looks more like the entry to a cave than a building. Nobody there in the lobby, but he walks to the room he had reserved. A concealed sliding door in the back of the room opens after a few minutes and the hot towels and drinks and appetizers and food courses come over a period of a couple of hours. This is where I had real wasabi. Looks like a little green pine cone, and you shred some off with a wasabi grater. Eventually we were done, and just got up and left. I assume he ran a tab there. Probably a real big one.

Soy Sauce:

Buying Soy Sauce at the Asia Store is hit or miss. There are hundreds of brands. Maybe avoid Chinese brands if you can figure out which ones they are. I have no recommendations for any of them because I can't read the labels, though I tried a couple because they looked like a bargain.

Kikkoman is good enough, costs a little more than the illegibles, but at least you get what you expect and it tastes like you expect and there's no mercury or other industrial waste in it as far as I know.

Now the important part!

How to:

Coconut Cream Curry Sauce Recipe:

Put a can of coconut cream in a saucepan and heat. Don't boil. If it boils it starts to separate. Add curry paste to taste (a heaping small spoonful) when it gets hot. Stir.

That was easy!

---

Wasabi Soy Sauce Recipe:

Japanese would cringe if they saw me put wasabi into soy sauce, so don't let them see you do it. This is my own invention. Hot Soy Sauce.

Put some soy sauce in a little bowl. Add wasabi powder, stirring it up, to taste. You aren't making a paste. Pour some on food and eat.

That was easy too!

If you want to make the wasabi balls like at the restaurant, put a spoonful of wasabi powder in a little bowl and add water just a drop at a time (do not add too many drops of water), stirring with the end of your hashi (chopstick). When none of it looks dry any more, roll it into a ball between your hands.

How easy is all this!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Excellent. Will try it soon!

We can find real Wasabi here. I have bought it a couple of times and the freshness reminds of being in Japan but they are tiny and there is not much of them in a root.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Oh, I have been to Shizuoka but did not know at all about it being a major producer of Wasabi! Neat.

Boy, made me salivate at the thought of having some great Sashimi in Japan with fresh wasabi! Yummm...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I envy this Canadian Foodie's Mandarin speaking skills. Been to Shanghai but only for business and business dinners that were ordered for me. Would have loved to walk the street with a local foodie and taste things as he is doing:

Ronm1

Had to make a snack after watching

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Our funny sounding food blogger is now in India. Given how much I like curry and Indian food in general, he really makes me salivate to be there:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The only worry I have about doing what he is doing is the number of days spent on the toilet after eating all of that! :eek: I wonder about safety and cleanliness of street food for non-locals who are not acclimated to what all may be in it that doesn't belong there!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I follow this channel for Chinese cooking. But can this really taste good?

I am a fan of simple Japanese cooking so perhaps this does. Must try it.
That looks good, I enjoy very simple rice dishes, can make a whole meal from plain rice and just a little something to add flavor like butter, soy sauce, sweet/sour sauce, etc; or various fried rice dishes.
But I drew the damn line at the Vietnamese eating fish heads and rice. :eek:
Gag me with a spoon! LOL
http://wanderingchopsticks.blogspot.com/2007/08/canh-chua-ca-vietnamese-sour-fish-soup.html

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If you like simple rice dishes, here is one I make for breakfast. I cook a runny egg using sous vide and then put it on Japanese cooked rice. Add some toasted sesame seeds, shredded seaweed and soy sauce and you are in business! Hmmm. Should make it tomorrow! :D

On the fish head soup, I have not had it but I am game for anything.... Once! :)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
If you like simple rice dishes, here is one I make for breakfast. I cook a runny egg using sous vide and then put it on Japanese cooked rice. Add some toasted sesame seeds, shredded seaweed and soy sauce and you are in business! Hmmm. Should make it tomorrow! :D

On the fish head soup, I have not had it but I am game for anything.... Once! :)
Any fish broth worth its salt has fish heads in it!

Sal is a delicate flower though, best take them out before serving him the soup:D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It is in English too! I can't place it. Wonder what his original nationality is.

think I heard him say Canada mate

Top Bottom