• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs EL AMP II Headphone Review

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

PPP

My understanding is that they want to be lazy and money saving. EL AMP II and EL DAC II come from stripped down version of Element II. So they use the same Element II pcb (without soldering the DAC chips) for EL AMP II, and duplicate the layout as much as possible for the DAC.

As a result, all output stage has exactly the same position on the PCB, and Amp's IN does not match with DAC's OUT.

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
It states these are new on their site:
https://jdslabs.com/product/stack-rca-cables/

Ghent and Worlds Best Cables (on Amazon) also have some options for <$25.

I was thinking a cable shaped like this but rca, would be nicer

atom.PNG

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the review amirm.
I rather like this amp. I have a JDS atom and while it performs impeccably with my headphones I can't help thinking when I look at it that I wish it looked a bit more HiFi and a little less plastic.
I'm pretty certain with my expectation bias this model will sound even better.
While is may be a deception, if it sounds better to me, for whatever reason, then subjectively its the better bit of kit.:p:D
Oh yeah, one other advantage, I won't be tempted to put anything on top of it. I'm pretty good like that but for those of you with partners/family who can't stand seeing a bare surface and are compelled to decorate it this could be the answer.

Hugo9000

Atom has two inputs and costs less, but you have to unplug headphones to use the preamp out function.

El Amp II looks beautiful in its simplicity and has a nicer enclosure, has a touch more power, and output is switched via a button on the rear, rather than unplugging headphones. Also, the volume knob can be left where you like it when you turn the unit off, as the volume knob is separate from power. The downside is that it costs more, and has only one input.

I use both inputs on my Atom at my desk (although I have additional digital inputs to my DAC, so I could reconfigure that way if I wanted).

Thanks, @amirm for reviewing this and the new DAC. Looking forward to the Element II review!

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks, @amirm for reviewing this and the new DAC. Looking forward to the Element II review!

Indeed. Let's see how it fares as an all-in-one! As soon as there will be returned B-stock units, that will be a crazy deal for Element II!

SEKLEM

How much voltage is available from the outputs on the rear before a precipitous rise in distortion?

Last edited:

thomasjast

I guess my dream piece of equipment would be a JDS Element III+ with balanced out and digital volume control? :)

thomasjast

No need for balance of it is clean already

If it's a combo device, I'd like the ability to output balanced to an outboard amp. And likewise, no downside in having 2x the power for a headphone if it supports it.

Veri

Master Contributor
And likewise, no downside in having 2x the power for a headphone if it supports it.

Imo, balanced 4V input makes most traditional headphones way too loud way too fast. Definitely if you have balanced output like on the 789/887.
But yeah I guess it's cool to have the inputs for convenience, like the smsl sp200 handles it (balanced input, SE output).

audio_tony

I just received these cables yesterday for my Atom/D50s stack. They work and look pretty nice though I would prefer right angle RCAs.
View attachment 39379

Wow, that looks pretty ungainly, and surely the units are difficult to keep aligned?

I would have thought practically any half decent shielded cable would suffice for such a short link.

Kane1972

I hope JDS make a DAC to accompany the Atom sometime. Be nice to see what they can do with a AK4497 or ESS 9038 Pro.

Top Bottom