• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shootout - Superb Measuring cheap DAC against hi-end DAC - measuring tool - the "ears"

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
So is this evidence that some (if not all) solid state electronics are affected by vibration - perhaps only in a small way or indeed a large way? Which would at least tie up to what I am hearing at home.

SIY is correct, in this case the two legs of the interferometer after beam splitters etc. are summed at an optical detector which generates the analog signal. All the vibration does is affect the optical path not the electronics.

Last edited:

zanzibar

Not inexpensive...

Seems to be the key element used to determine value far too often.
I'd rather see some kind of controlled test that may tell me something.

Can you reference any of his technical papers regarding his substantial contribution to the audio realm?

I mean auto and audio are similar sounding words, I'm sure the expertise translates.

Here you go, Alvin Lloyd has a technical and engineering team. I recall seeing something but it was a while ago.
I've spoken to him before the purchase. He had a unique buy now and return it no questions asked policy.
He was that confident about the impact of his product. And he was right. I didn't return the Grand Prix Monaco stand.

https://www.grandprixaudio.com/aboutus

zanzibar

So is this evidence that some (if not all) solid state electronics are affected by vibration - perhaps only in a small way or indeed a large way? Which would at least tie up to what I am hearing at home.

This was in about 2000 when I had a distinctly mid-fi but decent Rotel 200 watt amp. Think it was matched with their preamp models 991 and 995.

When the amp went on the Grand Prix Audio Monaco stand, it sounded like it was on steroids. It literally sounded louder.
So anyone who says vibration doesn't affect solid state equipment just doesn't know. I was astounded and won't forget it.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I'd rather see some kind of controlled test that may tell me something.

Can you reference any of his technical papers regarding his substantial contribution to the audio realm?

He had a unique buy now and return it no questions asked policy.
He was that confident about the impact of his product. And he was right. I didn't return the Grand Prix Monaco stand.

https://www.grandprixaudio.com/aboutus

I didn't see the part with the listening tests...just a typical rotation of testimonials.

Definitely cool looking stuff...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
When the amp went on the Grand Prix Audio Monaco stand, it sounded like it was on steroids. It literally sounded louder.
So anyone who says vibration doesn't affect solid state equipment just doesn't know. .

No one is saying it can't ever or doesn't, just that if it does you should probably take it in to the shop...

solderdude

Grand Contributor
This was in about 2000 when I had a distinctly mid-fi but decent Rotel 200 watt amp. Think it was matched with their preamp models 991 and 995.

So anyone who says vibration doesn't affect solid state equipment just doesn't know. I was astounded and won't forget it.

Uh huh...

Audio Science Review or Audio Opinion Review ?

OP
S

snapcrackle

This is ASR, you're gonna get plenty of people saying that vibration doesn't affect ss equipment unless you can measure it :)

If your ears tell you it does make a difference then it most certainly does. Unfortunately my wallet is telling me it does too.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
This is ASR, you're gonna get plenty of people saying that vibration doesn't affect ss equipment unless you can measure it :)

If your ears tell you it does make a difference then it most certainly does. Unfortunately my wallet is telling me it does too.

Would you like to place a bet, that he can tell that difference blind? You are very sure of his ears...and particularly dismissive of people who actually know what they are talking about. Why is what people pull out of their asses more valid than measurable science...?

Determined ignorance is a tough hurdle...

Last edited:

zanzibar

Vibrations affect everything in our known universe. There's plenty of science behind this, not just in audio.

zanzibar

Would you like to place a bet, that he can tell that difference blind? You are very sure of his ears...and particularly dismissive of people who actually know what they are talking about. Why is what people pull out of their asses more valid than measurable science...?

Determined ignorance is a tough hurdle...

I'd take ALL bets. I know my ears and frankly, it's not hard.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I'd take ALL bets. I know my ears and frankly, it's not hard.

Outstanding!
This might be worth pursuing...

How much? @ahofer , we may have a sucker candidate!

If you are serious, put a new post up with the $$$ you are willing to bet on your amazingness, where you intend to set up the escrow account, and watch the funds line up for the taking.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
This has come up many times, once the perp realizes that all the cheats are covered they run for the hills.
Always worth a try...i could use another vacation place...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Vibrations affect everything in our known universe.

Wow...yeah...
That's just (cough cough cough) deep man...
Have you been bogarting the joint?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Zanz

Do not construct this as anything but a serious query .. Aside from the amplifier sounding louder, what else did you notice as compared to , off the stand?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Haven't been following this, but if we can run a blind, level-matched test in Seattle, run by Amir, of electronics or tweaks that measure similarly (or negligibly), do we have a taker? $10k to your named charity if you can tell the difference in 9/10 trials. Loser pays $1k to Amir for his time.

I hadn't considered a vibration-isolation bet, or stands, but I think it is do-able. Is this simply lifting an amp on the Monaco Grand Prix du Tweak stand, or something like that?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Haven't been following this, but if we can run a blind, level-matched test in Seattle, run by Amir, of electronics or tweaks that measure similarly (or negligibly), do we have a taker? $10k to your named charity if you can tell the difference in 9/10 trials. Loser pays $1k to Amir for his time.

I hadn't considered a vibration-isolation bet, or stands, but I think it is do-able. Is this simply lifting an amp on the Monaco Grand Prix du Tweak stand, or something like that?

Yep. That's it.

Top Bottom