• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do we need a high quality and expensive power cord?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yea you measure the cord and il measure the incoming Butthurt it's bound to inspire.

What could possibly go wrong.

As J Kenny already mentioned, guessing is guessing, measurements is measuring...

Oh my ... I have been infected.:eek:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hard to do as my TT's are all in the attick.
Last time I looked it was an inferior and ancient method for reproducing music.

I just took some anti-idiotics to get rid of my infestation.:oops:

But in the past sometimes I was bothered by audible hum... always turned out to be a grounding issue.

On a more serious note, for screening to properly work the screen should be connected to the ground pin and the groundpin in the power inlet of said device must be connected as short as possible to the chassis of the device.
I would recommend twisted mains wiring and screened only in very specific cases where one cannot use properly screened and high source impedance low voltage sources.
Otherwise me thinks a decent power cord is sufficient.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Test them... for what?
Whether they can be used to punish your forum moderator....

Alternatively, their current carrying ability.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Most Hifi equipment is designed to be mains powered.
If anybody working for me had designed -anything- which didn't work properly unless used with some sort of special mains lead or signal conditioner They would have been looking for another job.
I don't believe it could, myself, but any piece of hifi which benefits from a special power lead has been incompetently designed and I would recommend avoiding all products from that particular manufacturer.
Mains poweret kit needing special mains cables - ffs!

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Whether they can be used to punish your forum moderator....

Alternatively, their current carrying ability.
upset.jpg

Juhazi

Major Contributor
"The only relevant measurement for hifi power cords is length" (Someone might want to add resistance?)

And it needs be sufficient, there is no absolute value :cool:

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Wombat

Master Contributor
Like this one? Smile.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
...tweeters are fine, as long as you do not go well beyond clipping with that signal. As the spectrum shows, there is not much energy at higher frequencies (as long as you design the test signal properly, i. e. switching the 400Hz bursts during zero crossing!)

have al look:
View attachment 38781

I meant with music signals.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ultra High-End Audiophile High-Five Resolution for maximum transfer audio current energy below one fraction of a hertz and above one billion kilohertz power amplifier UHF-Fi & UFO-HI AC⚡DC cables...between $30 and $50 ...
* Some of the above description is only very slightly deliberately exaggerated for maximum delivery and impact.

• Red color: https://www.amazon.com/Hi-End-Coppe...NBC6X0CH166&psc=1&refRID=5NWM21D1WNBC6X0CH166

• Comes in Blue: https://www.amazon.com/Hi-End-HiFi-...3PC7HMTH4WX&psc=1&refRID=SEYRBZP3Q3PC7HMTH4WX

https://www.amazon.com/WAudio-Hi-En...NBC6X0CH166&psc=1&refRID=5NWM21D1WNBC6X0CH166

☆ THE ULTIMATE ...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F6JM22...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

☆ THE TOP OF THE CROP ...
https://www.amazon.com/WAudio-Hi-En...N71H244PEWK&psc=1&refRID=T3YXF5QXYN71H244PEWK

Such pretty cables!

Still too expensive but I guess you have to pay for pretty. Might as well buy Pangea cables at those prices: https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGAC14

I spent $101.64 to replace all 12 power cords in my home theater and stereo with 14AWG TrippLites. Hoping to make between $500-$600 selling my Pangea cables.

Martin

eliash

Such pretty cables!

Still too expensive but I guess you have to pay for pretty.

I spent $101.64 to replace all 12 power cords in my home theater and stereo with 14AWG TrippLites. Hoping to make between $500-$600 selling my Pangea cables.

Martin

...you leave no choice to me;),

one from a bunch of shielded ones (this one extra short for a converter´s DC power supply),
home made, around 10€, depending on the min. length of industrial shielded cable you get a hold of, this one has
2x 1.5mm² plus shield as ground line:
20191114_151007.jpg

blackmetalboon

...you leave no choice to me;),

one from a bunch of shielded ones (this one extra short for a converter´s DC power supply),
home made, around 10€, depending on the min. length of industrial shielded cable you get a hold of, this one has
2x 1.5mm² plus shield as ground line:
View attachment 38800

Any reason why you didn’t use a 3 core cable? Quote often the screen is not rated to withstand potential fault currents.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It would also depend on whether the screen would be steel or copper.
Good catch, when it concerns safety earth (and is what it indeed is for)
Best would indeed be to use a 3-wire cable and the screen connected directly to the chassis.
Alas mains plugs only have 3 connections so the screen would have to be connected to safety earth (PE).

Top Bottom