• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PSI AVAA

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you very much for posting this! Very interesting. Impressive in many ways. But wouldn’t one be able to achieve much of the same result just be some eq in the bass and taking down the extra energy in the peaks? It seems strange to me that they had that big peaks using multiple subwoofers... they can’t have used any eq before putting the Avaa in place it seems.
The spectrograms are the more interesting result of the 2 graphs.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Multiple subs don't guarantee even response across the room and won't fix room modes, even if they do redistribute standing waves. It's a physical problem that can't be fixed with EQ. If you try to boost, null will get deeper. If you take everything down, it won't affect the ringing at all.

It's basically their speaker drivers mounted in a box with a microphone, working in reverse.

A presentation/lecture on it is here:

Interesting, Thanks. Will see the lecture tomorrow. This goes against my commonsensical layman understanding of the issues though... Say there is much ringing/overhang at a certain frequency. Even if it doesn’t disappear, it will certainly be less noticeable if we just take down some of the level/energy around that frequency? No? What I am missing here?

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
EQ of a low frequency peak will work quite well to minimize the resonance (time domain) if it's minimum phase. Sometime it is and sometimes it isn't.
But even if it's not minimum phase; the resonance will also go down some at one spot simply due to the fact that the level is now lower. However, you can loose dynamics that way and the response may get worse in other places of the room (when it's not minimum phase). It's never as good as treating it physically, but it's decent compromise in many situations. A good rule is to not reduce the peak with too many decibels and treat the room first as much as practically possible.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
A presentation/lecture on it is here:

We recommend two to keep symmetrical characteristics in your listening
Lol. Like that matters at all! IMO some misunderstanding about small room acoustics in the video.

Not saying the device doesn't work though but the price raises an eye brow. One needs to question oneself: Is it better to buy two of these or something like 8-9 broadband pressure based traps that work in a much broader frequency area.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. I wonder what it dials into the signal.
My best guess is that once it's over it's activation threshold it dials back the problem frequency whilst the note is sustained, and then when it's over generates some form of anti phase version of it to cancel the energy trapped in the room.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not saying the device doesn't work though but the price raises an eye brow.
That's my problem with it as well, it seems excessive. If a single unit was able to work wonders whilst positioned almost anywhere in the room it would be different.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What was said is correct. You can flatten FR but you can’t alter RT60 at low frequencies which is often called as bass is not tight or bass is loose.

The frequency vs SPL chart you see is half of what frequency response is. The other half is time depended. A layman talks about the former as FR but it is only half of the story.

I’m considering buying two but not sure two will be enough.

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dang. I just became interested in the AVAA traps and was excited to find someone on ASR was going to give their report on how they perform. This post turned out to be not much more than a tease bereft of much actual report or detail, unfortunately. At least someone ended up posting more detail from another review.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dang. I just became interested in the AVAA traps and was excited to find someone on ASR was going to give their report on how they perform. This post turned out to be not much more than a tease bereft of much actual report or detail, unfortunately. At least someone ended up posting more detail from another review.
It’s always a problem when dealers tell their experiences.

Top Bottom