• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unabashed Beyerdynamic A2 Knockoff

Wombat

Master Contributor

SpeedyRodent

The Beyerdynamic A2 is a fairly nice headphone amp. The msrp price is somewhere in the range of $1600+US.

No idea how good of quality of this particular clone is. The problem with clones is it is common to use lower quality components. Also, it is hard to tell how good they cloned the pcb. The real A2 has gain and output impedance switches on the bottom. I wonder if this one has that feature.

Funny thing with clone headphone amps is a lot of the established Chinese companies started out by producing clone amps. Matrix got their start by making a clone of the Lehmann Linear and calling it the "M-Stage". Gustard also became known after cloning the Violectric V200 and called it the "H10". Some people are very opposed to clones. Not sure where I stand on the subject myself. I try to support Chinese companies that come up with their own designs.

Last edited:
OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Real one:

beyerdynamic_a2_headphone_amplifier_open_majorhifi.jpg

The fake:

s-l500.jpg

SpeedyRodent

Honestly, I would probably stay away from this amp. You can tell obvious differences from the pictures. I also looked up this amp on Ali-Express to get a better idea of what is inside. There are issues like the 3 pin on the IEC connector not being grounded to the chassis. Who knows what other issues this amp might have.

Probably better off buying a $95 Objective 2 from Massdrop.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sort of surprised that EBay allow these to be advertised as being effectively knock off copies, is that not against their rules? I guess they're not fakes in the sense of fake watches as they are not branded Beyerdynamic and the casework is completely different but with an electronic item the internal IP is the important bit.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm sort of surprised that EBay allow these to be advertised as being effectively knock off copies, is that not against their rules? I guess they're not fakes in the sense of fake watches as they are not branded Beyerdynamic and the casework is completely different but with an electronic item the internal IP is the important bit.
Beyerdynamic needs to file a complaint. Without it, it is impossible for ebay to police so many listings.

greeny

Just purchased this clone from AliExpress to replace my Topping combo which I passed it over to my son for his dorm use. The build
components are of quality source. Have to let this settle down and hear any different.

a2.jpg

greeny

There are two OpAmp on the pcb. Can roll the OpAMp with a better one like Burson V5? Btw, what's the OpAmp part number? Can't really see on the pcb with my poor eyesight.

Audiodoc

I have the schematic of the design as i had DIYed one in 2011. Will search tomorrow. Is bass heavy and has two resistors after the output stage. The large ones in front of the relay. Used BD130 BD140s in the output stage.

Audiodoc

Here is a schematic and opamp name MC33078

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191207-031558.jpg
    Screenshot_20191207-031558.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,322
  • Screenshot_20191207-031336.jpg
    Screenshot_20191207-031336.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 1,365
Top Bottom