• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can Amir, as a trained listener, spot audible difference between DACs?

Are you interested if Amir, as trained listener, spot audible difference between DACs?

• Yes

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 15 17.2%

• Total voters

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We can ask if Guttenberg is available ?
I also don't see a point in testing Amir's hearing abilities.
As has been said this is not a requirement for performing electronic tests.
True, but there is a listening element to his reviews as well. As there should be.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW, I don’t mind if the reviewer (Amir) is a “golden ear” or not. The important thing is I want them to be able to perceive and express their subjective experience accurately. A “golden ear” is unlikely to have a subjective experience similar to most people. I have a lot of experience in the wine industry and I see a lot of parallels here. Most wine professionals are NOT “supertasters” (that is a real physiological thing) and often disagree on what they taste. But if one knows their own personal bias, they can interpret what they taste and explain how a given wine will be preferred/not preferred by others.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My son and I did this. I have a Matrix Audio X SABRE PRO MQA and a Dragonfly Red. He swapped them out several times playing different tracks from Tidal then I did the same for him and we both got 100% correct. They sound completely different.
I’m curious, you mentioned they sounded different. How would you describe your preference?

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
You think valid DBT can only be done in an anechoic chamber?

I'd put my neck out and say, technically no. But when comparing things of these levels of vanishing distortion, not only is an anechoic chamber making the DBT "more valid" (because validity isn't an on/off switch all the time), it's essentially impossible to conduct the DBT without having noise under ambient a non-factor, because ambiet masks it in that instance.

EDIT: What I mean't was, if noise of ambient is so high, and you're trying to DBT something like a -100 vs -110 DAC in any normal home, you're wasting your time.

Unless of course, (this seems to be a trend today me mentioning this) unless you're the Rob dude claiming he can hear -300db down :)

EDIT again: I voted no, simply in the interest of not wasting Amir's time in getting his work done. Maybe if he had a "subjective partner" that would be cool though.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know the question was about Amir, so I answered “yes” so he can give even more reliable reviews. The crux of the question is if ANY reasonably experienced listener can hear the difference. (And how big a difference is required to be audible.)

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Maybe if he had a "subjective partner" that would be cool though.
I'm sure someone will volunteer. Though the "subjective partner" would have to be a trained listener and have access to a specialized listening room. Research-standard, if possible, with plenty of controls to match the analytical depth of an APx555 in the subjective realm. Such a person should also be be acceptably expert in psychoacoustics.

@MediumRare If you read the older reviews you'll see that Amir has made this kind of comparison many times. In most instances he has not noticed audible differences.

Last edited:

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It is quite easy to rig a DBT with the appropriate media and a bit of knowledge about the strengths and weaknesses of the replay chain.
Before accepting any DBT results one really needs a complete description of the circumstances under which it was conducted.
I'm with Restorer John on this one who it seems lives in the real world even if it is a restored version.
Under fair test conditions with a range of unknown recorded music I haven't been able to differentiate between one main stream dac and another under DBT conditions.
I f someone states they can, then I would like to repeat the test under supervision.
There seems to be a desperate need in people to have their thinking done for them and to follow sheep like a particular personality without question.
It doesn't really make the slightest diference to me, and probably shouldn't to anyone else what another person can hear because when all is said and done you don't have their hearing and you don't have the same equipment of listening space.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
DBT-ing files is easy.. DBT'ing DACs and amps is far from easy. Once you tried it you will know why (have actually done this).
Latency differences, level matching within 0.1dB and appropriate switch boxes as well as random generator operating it and keeping logs (or someone else operating it out of sight) and or giving the tester the option to control the switch moment is a far from easy task.

Sure there are ways around this but for a noob performing a properly conducted DBT seems impossible to me.
Blind tests are already a challenge but double blind even more.

My results are the same as yours, but I do not have ears similar to those of Pass, Paul McG, or S. Guttenberg :eek:

Wombat

Master Contributor
DBT-ing files is easy.. DBT'ing DACs and amps is far from easy. Once you tried it you will know why (have actually done this).
Latency differences, level matching within 0.1dB and appropriate switch boxes as well as random generator operating it and keeping logs (or someone else operating it out of sight) and or giving the tester the option to control the switch moment is a far from easy task.

Sure there are ways around this but for a noob performing a properly conducted DBT seems impossible to me.
Blind tests are already a challenge but double blind even more.

My results are the same as yours, but I do not have ears similar to those of Pass, Paul McG, or S. Guttenberg :eek:

Re ears: serious? Don't undersell yourself compared to these self-appointed gurus. In the absence of verified comparisons these guys are also getting on in hearing years.

Trust your signature. ;)

Wombat

Master Contributor
I do ... I just can't hear what they are convinced they can hear.

The question to consider is: Your problem or their problem? There are people who believe they see ghosts. Audio has its equivalents.

Top Bottom