• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

tharos96

With the DX3 Pro V2 not having measurements what would be a better alternative with proven sound quality? Preferably DAC/Amp combined (so excluding Schiit Stack etc).

DouglasteR

Also @amirm hasn't done a review of the V2 unit like he did for SMSL SU-8 V2, which is very curious indeed... Well probably because in the case of SMSL SU-8, V2 was a big improvement, while for DX3 Pro V2 the performance definitely dropped especially in headphone amp performance, so @amirm probably doesn't wanna anger his Topping affliates.

I firmly believe this is not the case. @amirm have bashed much more expensive equipment from more powerful companies.

One of the pillars of this forum is credibility, any other thing is suicide.

heyagod

DX3 Pro v2 (LDAC)

Mine sounds pretty good :)

That's what I'd get. (Now that I've finally got one that works. LOL)
Nah, no one should buy a DX3 Pro v2 LDAC, we don't know what has changed in terms of measurements, and 10ohms impedance for headphone amp is shit. When @amirm stops being a Topping shill and actually does a V2 review, then based on that review we shall see if DX3 Pro v2 is a product that should be recommended. As of now, no one should buy DX3 Pro especially while being conned into doing so due to reading v1's review.

heyagod

I firmly believe this is not the case. @amirm have bashed much more expensive equipment from more powerful companies.

One of the pillars of this forum is credibility, any other thing is suicide.
Except there is a clear double standard with regards to Topping. While SMSL Su-8 v2 got a review after it was released, Dx3 Pro V2 and its drop in performance was conveniently ignored because it would hurt his relationship with Topping.

Schackmannen

Forum Donor
Nah, no one should buy a DX3 Pro v2 LDAC, we don't know what has changed in terms of measurements, and 10ohms impedance for headphone amp is shit. When @amirm stops being a Topping shill and actually does a V2 review, then based on that review we shall see if DX3 Pro v2 is a product that should be recommended. As of now, no one should buy DX3 Pro especially while being conned into doing so due to reading v1's review.
Why would you trust his reviews anyways if you think he's a Topping shill? Also Topping has their own measurements of the LDAC version on their website, they're pretty much the same as the V1 except for lower output power into 32 Ohm.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Except there is a clear double standard with regards to Topping. While SMSL Su-8 v2 got a review after it was released, Dx3 Pro V2 and its drop in performance was conveniently ignored because it would hurt his relationship with Topping.

Order one and dropship it to @amirm then if you are so desperate for it to be reviewed/ measured.

JD Wolfe

Hi,

I've had a DX3 Pro (I believe it's a v2; has the new remote) since July. I picked up the DX3 Pro based on Amir's review (which I later learned, was on an earlier version than mine). I've run about 500hrs on it.

Signal Chain: JRiver (Mac Dual Boot with Windows) > USB to DX3 Pro > Museatex AVC Preamp > Meitner Power Amp > NHT Super Ones

This DAC drives me nuts.

Quite revealing (of certain frequencies) but dry and harsh on the top end with thin low-mids. No boogie in the bass. Anyone familiar with the monstrously huge bass on Steely Dan's "Morph the Cat" knows how it should effectively crush the listener with Freddie Washington's bass line (on the DX3 Pro it's taps you on the shoulder). When I listen to Michael Jackson's "Thriller" the bass is so anemic it's depressing. I can only stand to listen to the DX3 Pro at low volume as the sibilance gets irritatingly edgy and anxiously insistent. I have A/B tested the Oppo UDP-205 (dual ES9038PRO) for comparison and can verify that, other than the DX3 Pro, my signal chain - though unexceptional - is just fine.

So based on the above I have a few questions:
What is with the DX3 Pro V2?
Was the V1 that much better?
Based on what I've described does it sound like I have a bum unit?
Is there a fix for my unit?
Does anyone here have a suggestion for a better DAC/Headamp option (i.e., does anyone have experience with the Sabaj D5 or SMSL M500, while being familiar with the sonic characteristics of the DX3 Pro v2 as comparison)?

Curious to hear from anyone who may have insights on any of my questions or have had similar experiences.

Thanks for your time and consideration,

JD

Last edited:

noel_fs

Hi,

I've had a DX3 Pro (I believe it's a v2; has the new remote) since July. I picked up the DX3 Pro based on Amir's review (which I later learned, was on an earlier version than mine). I've run about 500hrs on it.

Signal Chain: JRiver (Mac Dual Boot with Windows) > USB to DX3 Pro > Museatex AVC Preamp > Meitner Power Amp > NHT Super Ones

This DAC drives me nuts.

Quite revealing (of certain frequencies) but dry and harsh on the top end with thin low-mids. No boogie in the bass. Anyone familiar with the monstrously huge bass on Steely Dan's "Morph the Cat" knows how it should effectively crush the listener with Freddie Washington's bass line (on the DX3 Pro it's taps you on the shoulder). When I listen to Michael Jackson's "Thriller" the bass is so anemic it's depressing. I can only stand to listen to the DX3 Pro at low volume as the sibilance gets irritatingly edgy and anxiously insistent. I have A/B tested the Oppo UDP-205 (dual ES9038PRO) for comparison and can verify that, other than the DX3 Pro, my signal chain - though unexceptional - is just fine.

So based on the above I have a few questions:
What is with the DX3 Pro V2?
Was the V1 that much better?
Based on what I've described does it sound like I have a bum unit?
Is there a fix for my unit?
Does anyone here have a suggestion for a better DAC/Headamp option (i.e., does anyone have experience with the Sabaj D5 or SMSL M500, while being familiar with the sonic characteristics of the DX3 Pro v2 as comparison)?

Curious to hear from anyone who may have insights on any of my questions or have had similar experiences.

Thanks for your time and consideration,

JD
You are using a preamp on a device that already has a preamp so who the fuck knows the fuck you are doing, your opinion is just invalid for me

JD Wolfe

....your opinion is just invalid for me

Likewise, I'm sure.... This is indeed a friendly place, filled with charming and eloquent characters. Anyone else care to share their thoughts?

FYI: I use the preamp because of the connections on the power amp are not RCA and I have other analogue devices running through it - it is a matter of convenience. The DX3 Pro headphone stage displays exactly the same issues on my HD650, DT880, Q701 and HE-400i. The DAC is the common denominator.

Likewise, I'm sure.... This is indeed a friendly place, filled with charming and eloquent characters. Anyone else care to share their thoughts?

FYI: I use the preamp because of the connections on the power amp are not RCA and I have other analogue devices running through it - it is a matter of convenience. The DX3 Pro headphone stage displays exactly the same issues on my HD650, DT880, Q701 and HE-400i. The DAC is the common denominator.

The headphone amp has output impedance of 10ohms, which may or may not contribute to your problem. Not to mention that other headphone amp measurements have also decreased in performance due to change in design. If we are to fully understand the drop in performance, I guess Amir needs to work on a V2 review

You should take a more systematic approach to testing first before pointing fault at the DAC first.

And as someone above mentioned, you have 2 preamps so how can you even confidently say it's DX3pro DAC's problem?
Unplug your headphones and try going into DAC mode, so you are only using 1 preamp, then see if you still hear the same issues on your speakers, or if it has improved.

I overlayed the V1 and V2 Line Out THD+N Ratio graphs that @heyagod provided, seems like there is a decrease in V2's Line Out performance from 1kHz onwards?

Attachments

• dx3p lineout thd+n overlay.jpg
    dx3p lineout thd+n overlay.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 362

Schackmannen

Forum Donor
I overlayed the V1 and V2 Line Out THD+N Ratio graphs that @heyagod provided, seems like there is a decrease in V2's Line Out performance from 1kHz onwards?
Note that the graph is zoomed in so the difference is super small and not an issue at all. Before I purchased the LDAC version (V2) I compared the specs of the two and IIRC the specs for the line out were pretty much identical because I don't think they really changed anything significant there, it was only the headphone output they redesigned. For the headphone output the LDAC version actually performs a little bit better close to max output into 300 Ohm but of course has less output power into 33 Ohm due to the higher output impedance. Still I think the only potential audible difference between the two versions is if you use some headphones that has somewhat low impedance that varies with frequency.

Hoinar

Hello.
I'm new to this forum and I'm glad I found you.
I have a request to you and I respectfully ask you to help me.
I have a setup composed of: amplifier Creek evolution 50a and speakers elac bs 244.
I would like a dac for use in desktop mode.
I thought of two dacs: topping dx3 pro v2 and topping d50 s.
Please tell me which one you think is best.
Only the function if and if so will be used.
What's the v2 variant like?
On the one hand I am afraid that the d50 s has a cold sound, on the other hand I am afraid of the problems from the dx3 pro.
I really like the warm sound ..... I understood that the d50 would have a cold sound.
Please give me some advice, which would be ok
Thank you.
Respectfully.

P.S. Please forgive my English

Schackmannen

Forum Donor
Hello.
I'm new to this forum and I'm glad I found you.
I have a request to you and I respectfully ask you to help me.
I have a setup composed of: amplifier Creek evolution 50a and speakers elac bs 244.
I would like a dac for use in desktop mode.
I thought of two dacs: topping dx3 pro v2 and topping d50 s.
Please tell me which one you think is best.
Only the function if and if so will be used.
What's the v2 variant like?
On the one hand I am afraid that the d50 s has a cold sound, on the other hand I am afraid of the problems from the dx3 pro.
I really like the warm sound ..... I understood that the d50 would have a cold sound.
Please give me some advice, which would be ok
Thank you.
Respectfully.

P.S. Please forgive my English
Not sure what you mean by cold and warm sound but both DACs are transparent and should sound the same, i.e not change the sound at all. If you don't need a headphone amplifier I would go with the D50s but you can't really go wrong with either.

Hoinar

Not sure what you mean by cold and warm sound but both DACs are transparent and should sound the same, i.e not change the sound at all. If you don't need a headphone amplifier I would go with the D50s but you can't really go wrong with either.

I mean the sonic signature of the two dacs, their transparency, resolution. I'm afraid I won't like the sound of ess sabre.

Veri

Master Contributor
I mean the sonic signature of the two dacs, their transparency, resolution. I'm afraid I won't like the sound of ess sabre.
I have a Burson swing, it has ESS 9038Q2M chip. It sounds totally unlike people describing sabre dacs online "harsh" etc, it is super smooth and really just a very nice sounding product. So no, don't believe what people say online. ESS sabre is not digital/harsh shounding ... some urban myth.

thomasjast

As a previous owner of a DX3, I will say there are devices that output more power in the headphones output, which can alter the amount of bass you hear on some headphones.

However, the device sounds great in every way, and only individual use cases differ based on end headphones. @JD Wolfe , you got way too many things in your audio chain.

Top Bottom