• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Aegir PWR Amplifier

SEKLEM

This is nice to see. It's a shame about the power limitations, but for low power on a desktop, this could be great.

Especially if your office is in need of a space heater.

Other than being kinda "neat" this product is far less interesting than the other power amplifier they offer.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Most amps double the minimum load spec when bridged so using an 8-ohm load in bridged mode does make sense. Maybe there is some current-limiter someplace?
Since the amplifier topology is marketed as current feedback, I guess the current limiter is somehow included by default.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Since the amplifier topology is marketed as current feedback, I guess the current limiter is somehow included by default.

Disclaimer: My current feedback design experience is almost all non-audio (RF/mW/mmW).

Current feedback doesn't (usually) say anything about current limiting in the output stage. Current feedback amps tend to have greater bandwidth and also greater noise than voltage-mode, and often higher distortion but less increase with rising frequency, and lower overall feedback (loop gain). I was thinking there may be a current-limiting circuit for protection or whatever that is pulling down the output when driving a 4-ohm load. Trying to give them the benefit of the doubt...

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Disclaimer: My current feedback design experience is almost all non-audio (RF/mW/mmW).

Current feedback doesn't (usually) say anything about current limiting in the output stage. Current feedback amps tend to have greater bandwidth and also greater noise than voltage-mode, and often higher distortion but less increase with rising frequency, and lower overall feedback (loop gain). I was thinking there may be a current-limiting circuit for protection or whatever that is pulling down the output when driving a 4-ohm load. Trying to give them the benefit of the doubt...
My bad. Thinking before writing is sometimes useful...
Current limit may also come from the power supply. Anyhow we agree that something is limiting the current somewhere, that's the most important :)

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my book an anaemic amplifier like this is pretty useless, and all the more so when less money buys far more and better power.

I don't disagree, but I must say the Schiit industrial design is quite nice.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For the same $799, I would really, really like to see Amirm test this:

Yamaha A-S701SL Natural Sound Integrated Stereo Amplifier (Silver) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MXUCMXS/

It would be great if he can test such an AVR derived integrated amp, though I do expect them to perform about the same, may be a touch better than the recently tested RX-A1080.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And oh, I set up a nasty contraption to take the shots you see in this review. My wife has not seen it yet but I am sure once she does, you can add being homeless to the list of reasons I need money from you all! Hope you are happy pushing me in this direction!!!
The results are worth the hard stare she will give you.

maty

Major Contributor
All Solid State / Schiit Aegir

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.p...ae9q2k47n2&topic=163445.msg1759841#msg1759841

by CSI

[ I own them both. The Aegir has terrific bass and lots of power in-spite of it's lowish RMS rating. But after two weeks I'm sending it back. My F-7 (which costs a lot more and has the same power rating) is better in every way but, most importantly, it seems to connect better to the performers emotionally (sorry for the audio-nut language).

The Aegir is a superb value and gets you into real Class A performance with extra headroom (into my 4 ohm Spatials). It has a nifty stand by button on the front which drops it down to about 15 watts so you can leave it on all day when you aren't listening - a much greener approach.

I had a Vidar for about a year and it, too, it is great amp for the money (and a lot more power). The Aegir is better (to my ears) but the F-7 is in another league (as you might expect for the difference in cost). So I'll live with the 175 watt current draw (at idle) and reach around behind my rack to turn it off when I leave the room (Nelson doesn't want things to be too easy for us, I guess). ]

First Watt F7

[PDF] http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/prod_f7_man.pdf

First-Watt-F7.png

Again, H2 dominant, monotonously decreasing harmonic profile -> Emotion

Last edited:

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
These are excellent photos!!!

Next time, people will demand using tilt and shift lens, then digital backs and technical cameras. Watch out, @amirm :p:p:p

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
These are excellent photos!!!

Next time, people will demand using tilt and shift lens, then digital backs and technical cameras. Watch out, @amirm :p:p:p
I actually have a Canon TS lens! Hate using it though as it takes so much time to use it.

Dana reed

I only get 23 watts of usable power which is hardly more than 19.5 watts I got in stereo mode. The curve tilts to the right more now so marketing department went to town there to spec the "80 watt number."
Did you do the xlr mono input into 4 Ohms? They don't specify a power rating for mono into 4 Ohm, only for 8 Ohm.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did you do the xlr mono input into 4 Ohms? They don't specify a power rating for mono into 4 Ohm, only for 8 Ohm.
Ah, I missed that. If I have time, I will remeasure.

imagidominc

Forum Donor
The new photo space looks great! The Pink Panther gives it a signature ASR look. As for this product, can you believe people actually thought Amir had an unfair bias against Schitt? It’s very simple: make better products, get better reviews!

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am liking small form factors. But as others comment, at such low power I'm not sure what the market is for this sort of thing. At this price (which is not exactly dirt cheap) what is its intended application? For a small space, I'd think a set of powered speakers would be the way to go. I don't know. I guess they will sell a lot of them.

I'd like to see a small US firm make it 'big' with decent and affordable value products. That's not been the case with them, always. I'm hoping Schiitt get into measurement mode, and start going for 'bang for the buck' top rate engineering. Like David Hafler used to provide, in the days of Dyna. I don't think they will go that way, but who knows?

PS: what is going on in bridged mode? Strange.

Last edited:

ishouldbeking

Thanks for the review--all very interesting. Any plans to measure/review the Asgard 3? Sounds like the class-A/AB "Continuity" circuit from the Aegir and Lyr is also used in the newest iteration of the Asgard. I'm very curious to see how that pans out in an affordable headphone amp, particularly whether the power ratings Schiit advertises are even close to your numbers.

Top Bottom