• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

To EQ Or Not To EQ, that’s the question.

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Enkay25

Would love an EQ setting for Hifiman Sundara to get a better flat response.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I tried to EQ my Focal Clear and Audeze LCD2C with their presets. It's just sound like an over-trebelly mess. I don't think auto eq based on measurements is a good idea. Everyone should EQ according to their own hearing and taste.
I believe the curves are EQed flat, which explains the trebelly mess. If you create your own custom curves you can work with tilt. Personally I like -1 to -1.5dB which should come close to the Sean Olive/Harman curve. See frequency_response.py on https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq.

While EQing to taste is everyone's decision, I believe without measurements we're stumbling in the dark.

Fluffy

Measurements are helpful in finding abnormalities such as sharp peaks and dips, or the general tilt. But transferring from the measurement directly to a correction preset ignores the fact that some abnormalities could actually sound good. Therefore, it is better to take guidance from the measurements, but decide on your own what is the ideal response you are looking for.

Of course, I'm not talking about pure accuracy and flatness. I don't think that is achievable of even desirable, because what is accurate is heavily dependent on what music you are listening to and also on the accuracy of your own hearing.

pwjazz

Forum Donor
I tried to EQ my Focal Clear and Audeze LCD2C with their presets. It's just sound like an over-trebelly mess. I don't think auto eq based on measurements is a good idea. Everyone should EQ according to their own hearing and taste.

The problem is that the trend is to EQ to a Harman response, which I personally find too thin in the bass which makes everything sound overly bright. Also the LCD2C measures with a giant 4K dip that doesn't sound as recessed as it measures, so when strictly correcting that to Harman it just sounds wrong.

flipflop

Would love an EQ setting for Hifiman Sundara to get a better flat response.
Filter 1: Low shelf, 70 Hz, Gain 4 dB
Filter 2: Peak, 2200 Hz, Gain 2 dB, Q 3.5
Filter 3: Peak, 4900 Hz, Gain -3 dB, Q 8
Filter 4: Peak, 9400 Hz, Gain -4 dB, Q 8
Preamp: -4.5 dB

Peace config file: https://mega.nz/#!woRUWCrR!1dW4d2AcCsVZIiAPojniaxysHjxCpQbpisZp4dOBNeU

Should look like this:
fghfgh.PNG

Measurements:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANSundara.pdf
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/hifiman/sundara

Tks

Major Contributor

Speaking of LCD2C's ..

Oratory1990 has an EQ for them that basically makes them sound like a whole new headphone. I couldn't believe the difference that EQ made.

I tried the one for HD58X's and HD6XX's.. meh I hear the difference, but it wasn't anything earth shatteringly different as compared to what his EQ for the LCD2C's did for my ears.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
@Tks Take any headphone and crank up some frequencies by 10 db, and you will get a whole new headphone.
Or a broken headphone if you drive it too hard.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
I think EQing is great, because it lets you improve the sound of your system to your liking, and fill any gaps that your headphones or speakers may have. I EQ both my headphones and speakers via the manual tone controls found on my integrated amp, where I add some bass and treble. I use the same setting for both, because they turned out to have similar recessed low end that comes out via the EQ (esp the speakers).

soundwave76

Forum Donor
After using EQ to many of my headphones (Elegia, HD800, HD58X, Stax L300 Limited etc) there’s no question in mind -> I will always apply EQ also in the future. The same applies to loudspeakers, where Genelec’s built in room correction handles everything for me.

OP
Patrick1958

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Update :
Solderdude recently measured my HD650 and it turns out i really have a veiled model and also a damaged driver, an inwards pushed speaker dome that he was able to fix.
Knowing where the frequency problem is i was able to correct via PEQ, and to my surprise the HD650 now is on top of my favorite Senns.

Pflamingo

Hi Patrick, just saw this thread.
Bought the DT990pro and would like to use your EQ settings. But I'm using the Equalizer APO + Peace GUI. Is there any way you could help me with a txt file or just tell me what to input based on your Foobar settings from the screenshot? Thanks.

OP
Patrick1958

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Hi Patrick, just saw this thread.
Bought the DT990pro and would like to use your EQ settings. But I'm using the Equalizer APO + Peace GUI. Is there any way you could help me with a txt file or just tell me what to input based on your Foobar settings from the screenshot? Thanks.
Have a try at these from oratory1990. I'm confident they are more accurate than mine. Both the measurements for the new earpads and the worn earpads:cool:

Pflamingo

Have a try at these from oratory1990. I'm confident they are more accurate than mine. Both the measurements for the new earpads and the worn earpads:cool:
Thanks, man. Tried to apply the filter settings from the 'new earpads' measurements page, into the APO configuration. Please see attached. Is this correctly done?

Attachments

• Anmærkning 2020-05-16 205740.png
    Anmærkning 2020-05-16 205740.png
    75.4 KB · Views: 596

flipflop

Thanks, man. Tried to apply the filter settings from the 'new earpads' measurements page, into the APO configuration. Please see attached. Is this correctly done?
Click the box with the green curve below 'Effects'. What you see is supposed to match the 'EQ Curve total' (middle-right) in oratory's .pdf.

OP
Patrick1958

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Looks good. The oratory curves are a starting point, on some of my headphones i tweak them a little, don't hesitate to experiment.

Top Bottom