• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room Measurement Tutorial for Dummies Part 1

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thanks very much for chiming in, guys.
Looks like I can still explore REW, albeit in a limited way. Interesting aspect of audio which is new to me. Cheers!
REW is an excellent measurement tool, get a Umik-1 and you can do an unbelievable amount of diagnostics as you learn the ins and outs. I've only scratched the surface of it's capabilities.
That said, there are many other ways to implement room correction filters and many (most) are far easier to use.

Consider making a small donation at some point if you like it. John Mulchay puts a tremendous amount of work in designing and maintaining this free software. :)
https://www.avnirvana.com/forums/official-rew-room-eq-wizard-support-forum.10/

Roasty

Thanks, guys. Have just placed an order for the umik1 and it should be arriving early Oct. Will do some more reading up.

By the way, I've read part 1 and 2 of this thread series.. Is there a part 3 somewhere?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Roasty

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This video is also a comprehensive and excellent tutorial on using miniDSP UMIK-1 with REW and exporting the correction to Equalizer APO.

fsos

This video audacity temp mail originis also a comprehensive and excellent tutorial on using miniDSP UMIK-1 with REW and exporting the correction to Equalizer APO.

If nothing plays, then you have a playback problem in your computer. Start your favorite media player and have it play some music on your laptop. If you have changed the default output to USB DACs, etc. you need to defeat those so that the music comes out of the laptop speakers. Once there, then REW should work just the same and the broadband test noise playing by hitting Check Levels again.

Last edited:

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It came with my sub but doesn’t have any markings other than Velodyne. It looks like a Umik but has XLR out. I have 1/4 and 3.5mm adapters.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It came with my sub but doesn’t have any markings other than Velodyne. It looks like a Umik but has XLR out. I have 1/4 and 3.5mm adapters.
Ah, it will be difficult to know how to use that mic without the subwoofer. The subwoofer may have had calibration settings for that mic built in, which would make results of measurements taken without the sub unreliable.

It probably would be easier just to get an inexpensive measurement mic with USB out.

murl

Does anyone know why REW won't recognize the internal microphone on a MacBook Pro 2016 running 10.15.1? I checked system settings and it doesn't seem to be muted and picks up noises in system settings.

murl

No, but I don't think the built-in mic will take useful measurements...

i was just trying to learn the software. I plan to buy the suggested mic. If I buy a microphone can I generate the signal in room for it to measure?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
If I buy a microphone can I generate the signal in room for it to measure?

If you can select your system for playback, you should be able to.

1576366165773.png

That part can be confirmed without the microphone.

Use the "Generator" function after setting the system as the output in "Preferences" to verify it works.

1576366273490.png

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Remember gentleman, REW is freeware written and maintained almost entirely by a man named John Mulcahy. He has been dedicated to this program for 15+ years and really would deserve a little Christmas bonus. IME it's very rare to see such dedicated work for so long on a freeware project. Merry Christmas John !!! ;)
https://www.roomeqwizard.com/

murl

I'm playing around with measuring the Dutch and Dutch in my new room. What am I doing wrong with the parameters on this graft?

Attachments

• Frequency response.jpg
    Frequency response.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 302

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm playing around with measuring the Dutch and Dutch in my new room. What am I doing wrong with the parameters on this graft?

If you are referring to the hash on the right, you can apply a smoothing filter to clean it up (e.g. 1/6 per octave, psychoacoustic, variable, etc.).

If you are referring to something else, please specify.

datrumole

Attempting to get accurate SPL levels is the biggest mistake users of REW make! Do not fall in that trap. There is no useful information in there. Getting accurate levels is possible but requires extensive detective and configuration work with no net value. Get an SPL meter if you want to calibrate your system.

this can't be entirely accurate, misleading at best for new users, or perhaps i just fall into a specific subset of REW users

i use a PC --(USB)--> udac8 (bought before i saw the review on asr) --(RCA)--> icepower 500asp (2x500a) for LCR fixed gain and 2310ci for SUR volume set to -75 on the receiver and two iNuke NU3000DSP (knobs set to +15, no dsp processing)

my PC uses EqualizerAPO for all aspects of my tuning, as well as is my volume control

using my UMIK1, and my computer volume set to 52, which equates to -10dB in the udac8, i know exactly where i stand in the dB FS scale

that means when i play a -12dB FS test signal in REW, my TARGET output should be -22dB FS (-12 from the signal + -10 from the volume control) or 83dB as measured by REW (+/- for the respective house curves and such). Personally i measure at a nicer level with a -22db FS test signal for a 73dB target

after measurement, i have the possibility to read well over said target, in the EQ, i then set for my target DB, and the EQ pulls down all respective frequencies to match (no boost)

i now have an appropriate SPL level set on my setup

i will agree that those who have multiple volume/pots in their chain there is some additional setup that needs to be done

for instance, i used umik1 with pink noise set at -22dB FS and sent the signal to each SUR speaker, i then bumped up the volume knob until i was about +5dB hotter than my target, this way i knew there was enough head room, and the EQ would bring it down

for the iNukes, with no load hooked up, i ran a -0dB FS 100hz sine wave signal to it, and with the iNuke software i monitored each knob count until i began to clip the signal, then went two less than clipping. that ensured i was gain matched, and the EQ again would ensure my target level was matched

so i can't fully agree to this statement, while there is plenty to be done, encouraging folks to discard their SPL data can't be a good thing to do

Top Bottom