• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sabaj D5 DAC & Amp

DeepSpace57

I cannot understand why people insist on headphones output of Sabaj D5. Just underline xlr headphone output has a SINAD of 106, while xlr dac output has a SINAD of 119. Moreover, SE output could be around 102, considering xlr headphone output.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The op amps and transistors from the headphone amplifiers are erased. You see only the name of the op amp producer: ST.

OPA1612 all 4 of them, not erased by the way its just the angle and flash which made it not visible.
excellent opamps.

The second photo is a power supply section.
The headphone amp section is on the right front corner of the PCB (near the green caps)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I cannot understand why people insist on headphones output of Sabaj D5. Just underline xlr headphone output has a SINAD of 106, while xlr dac output has a SINAD of 119. Moreover, SE output could be around 102, considering xlr headphone output.

Is there a clear relation between SINAD and SQ to you ?
Where would you consider to be the audible limit of this ?

OPA1612 all 4 of them, not erased by the way its just the angle and flash which made it not visible.
excellent opamps.

The second photo is a power supply section.
The headphone amp section is on the right front corner of the PCB (near the green caps)

Did you read all my words ? I am talking about headphone amplifiers not about I/V converter and LPF of the DAC. The pictures are from output stage of the DAC and power supply. From that pictures you see very well OPA1612.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Why show pics that do not show the opamps used for the headphone amplifiers and then state (or ask) about the chips used for the headphone amp section ?

marco07

I think that for some of us we purchased the D5 to have an all-in-one. I understand that the amp section isn't the same quality as the mighty Atom or the 789 but it is good enough, especially for the price I paid. Maybe later down the road I will get a better, separate amp but for now this is what I got.

As for my personal experience, I'm running my Aivas from the SE output and I'm usually in the low 20's. Once in a while when I crank it up I go into the high 20s and that's pretty loud for me. I'm currently waiting on an XLR adapter because the Aivas come with a cable terminated in 4.4 balanced so right now I'm going through two adapters (4.4-3.5-1/4) to get my music.

Why show pics that do not show the opamps used for the headphone amplifiers and then state (or ask) about the chips used for the headphone amp section ?

Out of curiosity. Beyound that, if I have Sabaj D5 and Topping D70 and I want to compare them, It's ok to have at the outputs 260mVp-p and 268mVp-p ? That 8mVp-p difference count ?

Kane1972

I seem to remember the D70 measuring better turned down a little anyway, so level match them

Last edited:

D70 has 0.268mVp-p at "-26.5dB" and D5 has 0.260mVp-p at "18". It's ok for testing ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
D70 has 0.268mVp-p at "-26.5dB" and D5 has 0.260mVp-p at "18". It's ok for testing ?

Questionable as it is a difference of 0.26dB. In proper blind test protocol you would want this at 0.1dB (1%)
I can detect 0.5dB differences reliably.
It is better than no level matching for sure.

I'll try with "17" or "19" volume level at Sabaj, maybe I'll get closer to D70.

Harry1973

I had the Sabaj D5 for a short while. Impressively detailed and a very open sound, with smooth, silky, and extended highs. In comparison, the mojo sounded slightly mellower, but also less fatiguing. Headphones used: AKG K812 and Oppo PM3. I use the mojo mostly on the move and sometimes during the night at home, when I am too lazy to get an extension and connect to the Soekris DAC1541 in my main system.

I would say they deliver the same amount of audible detail, the mojo is less fatiguing, the D5 may be slightly more exuberant (a tiny bit of extra dynamics) and they are in the same ballpark.

The Soekris, even though it most likely measures worse than the D5, beats it on all (subjective) sound parameters. I know these are not objective.

Also I had the SW problem with the dial not recognising rotational movement after waking up from standby.

Finally, the headphone SE output of the D5 is weak. It could not drive my headphones loud enough with some tracks that were recorded too low (as it sometimes happens with hires - they do not compress the dynamics...). So the D5 was sent back.

Good review. I can not judge sound via headphones as I have never really listened that way.
-Does your main system have loudspeakers? Did you by any change try out Sajab D5 and Mojo in your main system? I think Mojo is a great dac and will keep it for my other set. -However in my system that I have had for 20 years, when levels (approx) matched, Mojo seems to produce more narrower and forward image between loudspeakers (I guess also illusion of more punch). Sajab D5 soundstage goes a bit wider and image is more relaxed and more behind the loudspeaker line. I dont get fatigue from either of ´em.

Side note to whom it may concern ;)My comments, like all others, are obviously purely subjective notions and not recommended to be taken as facts. For me and in my system, this is my subjective illusion, which I liked to share -I am all for objective measurements and blind tests and I am very very allergic to snakeoil, but who really cares to be very scientific and set up ABX studies in their own homes in case affordable components.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
My comments, like all others, are obviously purely subjective notions and not recommended to be taken as facts. For me and in my system, this is my subjective illusion, which I liked to share -I am all for objective measurements and blind tests and I am very very allergic to snakeoil

refreshing... such a disclaimer.

jruser

FYI, they actually have to ship a device to flash the fixed firmware. They have told me that device will be available for shipping next week.

First my subjective impressions after Sabaj D5 vs Topping D70 test. When both devices are cold, Sabaj D5 sound a little congested and D70 much more airy. In the same time period D5 is a little aggressive at 5khz-7khz. After one hour of playing music with resistive load and then return in the audio system, the sound is very similar, it is almost impossible to detect any difference between them. Maybe Sabaje D5 is a little better, is more focused. Anyway, after one hour of music, both DAC's are very very competent. ;)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Maybe Amir could do a multitone test with the D5 in cold condition and warmed up ?

Last edited:

wadec22

Maybe @amirm could do a multitone test with the D5 in cold condition and warmed up ?

just curious, for what purpose? seems a waste of time. we already know it performs better warm than cold. if you own one, you will wait for it to warm. if you don't have that time/patience/luxury then you wouldn't buy it.

Nice to see that they use top quality Nichicon Fine Gold capacitors there.

All the pieces from inside are very good quality. Is not a joke ! The only strange things are headphone amplifier op-amps and transistors. The writing on them is erased.

cinstance

All the pieces from inside are very good quality. Is not a joke ! The only strange things are headphone amplifier op-amps and transistors. The writing on them is erased.
I guess the reason is that they do not want competitors to know their design, or maybe the headphone amplifier section is not something they are proud of :). More likely the latter.

Top Bottom