• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon launches lossless high-res music service!

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does it still have the bad feet taste?

Dove Milk Chocolate tastes good (not like their soap).

81mKgvec2-L._SL1500_.jpg

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Yup since Amazon Music HD was free for three months I signed up. Spent a few hours last night comparing same tracks on Amazon HD to Qobuz and heard the same loss of sound quality in Amazon HD you did. Amazon HD uses Windows mixer, does not let an external DAC take control like Tidal or Qobuz (at least not yet.) I will keep Amazon HD around for a few months but I don't see it replacing Qobuz for me.
So, is there still a difference when using Qobuz also with Windows mixer?

Ratatoskr

So, is there still a difference when using Qobuz also with Windows mixer?

I don't use the Qobuz desktop app, I use Audirvana+ to stream Qobuz on Windows 10 Pro. Audirvana+ bypasses Windows mixer and uses WASAPI exclusive mode connected to my DAC. That is what I am comparing Amazon Music HD to.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Opinion differed in our office between it being bad feet, or stale parmesan, whatever it is it's nasty.

Pretty well known that they treat the milk with butyric acid to extend shelf life, I guess they're competing with Twinkies and Keith Richardson. I'll stick with Callebaut.

MSNWatch

Can they compete on price? I don't know what the margins are. Otherwise I can imagine them moving to niche markets (hi-res on obscure labels. etc.) that the big players don't bother with. Either way it will be a struggle.

From what has been reported Tidal and Qobuz are both losing money and from Spotify continuing to hemorrhage money it doesn't look like something that can be fixed by more subscribers. I think the only way Tidal, Qobuz and the like survive is fewer subs at a significantly higher subscription rate. That is unlikely to be enough if Apple and Spotify offer HD music options.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I don't use the Qobuz desktop app, I use Audirvana+ to stream Qobuz on Windows 10 Pro. Audirvana+ bypasses Windows mixer and uses WASAPI exclusive mode connected to my DAC. That is what I am comparing Amazon Music HD to.
So that is not a fair comparison, is it?

Top Bottom