• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon launches lossless high-res music service!

raif71

Major Contributor
Your subjective perceptions are noted, but this being Audio Science Review, I am afraid they won't carry much weight here.
What if more people chime in, agreeing with the poster? Just wondering

ktm125

[QUOTE="Amazon HD uses Windows mixer, does not let an external DAC take control like Tidal or Qobuz[/QUOTE]

If I have USB from PC to DAC, does your quote apply to me?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Has anyone else tried to bite a chunk off a Toblerone and stabbed the roof of their mouth, or is just me being daft?
What's a Toblerone???

Anyone done any listening tests comparing the lossless streaming services?
I did a quick test yesterday of a couple of tracks on Amazon vs. Tidal (non MQA) and my own ripped Flac files. And I must say (via iOS a Chord Mojo and decent IEM's) that Amazon lagged behind the other two in terms of micro detail, ambience and sound staging in what heard.

What if more people chime in, agreeing with the poster? Just wondering
Set up a bias controlled, level matched DBT test, Invite at least a few friends to participate.
Then return detailing the conditions of the DBT and the results.
Now those results will be taken seriously. ;)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will it work outside the USA? FWIW, Amazon Video offering is very sparse outside the US... They have a section named "Watch while Abroad" ... Selection is flimsy at best. Not a Netflix alternative by any stretch ... Would their music selection perform the same way?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Now this is real Milk Chocolate yummmmm
jumbo-hersheys-milk-chocolate-128303-ic.jpg

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The OT drifts are hilarious.
Yes, I've done the Toblerone roof-of-mouth-ouch thing, AND I actually have a Pono player too!!
(Bought it super cheap on ebay, works pretty nicely as a bed side player, but has a really Meh UI.)
So...it occurred to me that with Amazon in this now - I could just use my 'fire stick' to access 'decent res' music - then realized it'd be a) via HDMI, and b) Wifi (not terribly good in my place).
Also I hate the intrusive-ness of the alexa/fire stuff, much preferring the Roku for streaming video.
So I did some digging and see that Roku only offers one streamer with ethernet ports - I think I may give that a try, and trial the Amazon offering. It also supports various surround formats - will be curious to see if the Amazon service will 'do' multi-channel.
If I like it and end up with a PC'/NUC driving the upgraded system, it might be nice to use that ( or Roon, Quboz, whatever) not to mention YTube. Sure are lots of 'details' to consider!
So, I'm likely to sign up, and at least try it for a while...and hope that someone gets to the bottom of the 'windows drivers or not' issues mentioned above! At least with amazon it's easy enough to drop subscriptions.
Thanks!!

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
I do not need lossless. I need loudnesswarless.

That's what I like about going the used CD route. You can find the stuff made before the loudness wars. Great dynamic range at less than half price. Plus, you OWN it.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
LOOL That is NOT how you're supposed to eat it! You're supposed to gently push one triangle at the top toward the rest of them - that will break that triangle at the bottom so you can put it in your mouth harmlessly. :D

I've been doing it wrong for years. I though it worked like a stripper clip.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stripper_clip

Maybe this is a good time to stop using a funnel to drink beer.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Top Bottom