• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any women on this forum?

OP
ayane

ayane

Forum Donor
I might as well confess, that despite I love and adore women, I just can't understand how some 98% of them are heterosexual and want to live with men. It must have something to do with evolution and practical reasons, because men just look ugly, can't discuss, behave or dress well and smell bad!
This is the funniest thing I have read all week; thank you for the laugh =)

Sure, many guys can be dicks, but a lot of men are handsome and dress well; strong, cool, and bold; sweet and caring; and smell exciting. It's like hi-fi electronics - despite having various price ranges and many measuring and looking like hot garbage, there are a few gems out there whose measurements will blow your socks off and/or draw you in with features, reliability, and design =)

The world needs ya!

And it is thus complete... a thread started by a woman for women has been almost completely hijacked by guys, however well meaning we might have been.
You underestimate the patience (and silliness) of OP; she's a teacher and she thinks spending hours diagnosing crosstalk issues is a fun hobby!

Last edited:

mannye

And it is thus complete... a thread started by a woman for women has been almost completely hijacked by guys, however well meaning we might have been.

Well, if there are metrics on demographics on the board, I can bet the men are in the high 90 percent of members.

This is like a cable thread on other boards. Kryptonite.

But what hasn't been mentioned is that over the years, the hobby has been "distilled" by the jerks. I remember walking into high end stereo shops in the 80's as a teen and the guys in there being total assholes. I wasn't turned off from the hobby, but I'll bet dollars to donuts that a great percentage of teens that walked into high end stores all over the nation in the past 30-40 years decided to do something else with their time and money.

So what's left? All the stuck up assholes that ran the stores and the customers that liked the exclusive (in the negative of inclusive) atmosphere of the hobby. Foreshots, Heads, Hearts and Tails.... all jerkos coming out of the still.

Thankfully, the resurgence of vinyl has bred a younger, less uptight group of enthusiasts who don't give a shit what these old assholes think and are responsible for resurrecting and restoring a lot of old dusty equipment. And, also thankfully, some of them, a very few, but some, are women.

Let 's not forget to mention that it's really unfair to paint all 50 something guys as misogynist assholes. Some of us are just assholes. :)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
My wife has only a passing interest in audio, but she loves music, loves the idea that I have something that interests me and occupies my mind, does all the photography for my AudioXpress articles, patiently fixes my computer and software issues, and actually is delighted if I tell her that Scott Wurcer, Jan Didden, Morgan Jones, or Pete Millett are coming to visit. Something like "WAF" would not only not offend her, she would have contempt for anyone who was offended by the term.

If someone condescended to her, it would not end up well for him.

OP
ayane

ayane

Forum Donor
Well, if there are metrics on demographics on the board, I can bet the men are in the high 90 percent of members.
According to @amirm earlier in the thread, 4% of the site users were women >_>

But what hasn't been mentioned is that over the years, the hobby has been "distilled" by the jerks.
Oh it's been mentioned earlier in the thread too, haha. I've had my fair share of those experiences but I'm too much of a nerd to be fazed by it =)

There's a ton of forums out there for the hobby, but I like this one (and Hydrogenaudio) the most because it's an engineering-oriented environment, and one without the quasi-religious woo and brand chauvinism that's common in the other forums. Amir's got integrity and I (and many users here) respect and appreciate that, which is what keeps me coming back here. Just wish there were more women, lol.

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
.......... in the early 1970's and lived in El Cerrito, CA. She was a student at U.C. Berkeley, working towards what ended up as a Ph.,D in Exercise Physiology. Laura went on to specialize in physical fitness training for seniors, although she also worked with some East Bay women who were Olympic athletes. She is now in her 60's, I am a 77 y/o expatriate living in Panama, and we haven't been in contact for years. Unlike me, she has no internet presence, and has moved back to the Denver region where she grew up, and has drifted into obscurity.

Hmm... you wouldn't happen to know the Harryman's do you ?
They have been in the area since the 70's and are still living there.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
I worked in an operational environment for 35 years. When things were slow, and the stakes low, every form of politics prevailed. When things were busy, and the stakes high (imminent loss of life), it didn't matter if you were a man, woman, gay, straight, white, black, brown, yellow or bloody purple. If you knew what you were talking about and had the info (or ammo) needed to mitigate disaster, people were interested in what you had/had to say.

Anyone who has faced a grave medical condition or injury will relate. You don't care about the hair colour, gender, age, religion, political beliefs, or racial characteristics of the medic, nurse, or doctor. You want the one who knows their $hit better than anyone else. Or is in control of the pain meds.

The gender balance on this site doesn't interest me in the least. Its either because audio is important to me or the whole gender debate in society amongst politicos bores my hole off.

Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But what hasn't been mentioned is that over the years, the hobby has been "distilled" by the jerks. I remember walking into high end stereo shops in the 80's as a teen and the guys in there being total assholes. I wasn't turned off from the hobby, but I'll bet dollars to donuts that a great percentage of teens that walked into high end stores all over the nation in the past 30-40 years decided to do something else with their time and money.

Hi Fi Shop

mannye

According to @amirm earlier in the thread, 4% of the site users were women >_>

Oh it's been mentioned earlier in the thread too, haha. I've had my fair share of those experiences but I'm too much of a nerd to be fazed by it =)

There's a ton of forums out there for the hobby, but I like this one (and Hydrogenaudio) the most because it's an engineering-oriented environment, and one without the quasi-religious woo and brand chauvinism that's common in the other forums. Amir's got integrity and I (and many users here) respect and appreciate that, which is what keeps me coming back here. Just wish there were more women, lol.

Oops! I didn't read through all the posts.

I'm sure the owners of the other boards are also great people, but after reading post after post filled with rude remarks instead of good and civil arguments I stopped participating.

I too wish there were more women in the hobby, and more men too. As I stated earlier, most of us are the only ones on the block. Especially here in Miami Beach where I live.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
The hobby is full of men who are borderline misogynist or just straight out sexist.

I can't use any names but some of the worst sexist, racist, homophobic, and/or misogynistic guys I have met were famous audio designers. I was requested to arrange a dinner so one could meet the designer of one of our op-amps because he could not believe it was a "girl". It was a horribly embarrassing experience, at least she laughs about it. Sorry to expose anyone to that.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Let 's not forget to mention that it's really unfair to paint all 50 something guys as misogynist assholes. Some of us are just assholes. :)

IMG_20190916_143337_718.jpg

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
System logs say roughly 4% of our total visitors (not just members) are female. Definitely interested in what we could do to increase that.
How does your system detect whether a visitor if male or female?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What were the Harbeths guilty of? :rolleyes:
Nothing of course, but I can understand why they were sold. The mind relates the speaker with the bad experience which can spoil the fun listening to them. I once had a similar experience (not in audio though) and it took quite a while to not think about the bad experience when using it.

Fregly

There's usually oodles of mansplainin' goin' on [guys do it to guys, ya know], usually repellant to the fairer sex.
This is the way men talk to men. Why does it become mansplaining when women are involved? If you require special genteel provisions you are not being an equal colleague.

Top Bottom