• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fess up: What's your guilty pleasure?

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
Someone here admitted that they enjoy listening to music run through the 7-channel surround sound DSP setting on their AVR. I tried it on mine and love it! For casual listening, it gives pretty good instrument separation and makes the room almost disappear.

What is your secret not-so-audiophile weakness? High-distortion tube amps? Beats headphones? Taylor Swift's latest album? Defend your audio blasphemy if you can.

Taylor Swift's new album is great... looove it...
:)

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Guilty pleasure...

Scouring music stores for used classic and progressive rock, pop, new wave, CDs, of the highest dynamic range. Bringing the CDs home, ripping them into lossless format, storing them on my music server before placing the physical copies in a dark, cool, and dry place.

My favourites are usually groups' second album releases or releases of particularly high dynamic ranges, from start to finish, which I listen to on free evenings (at least twice a week).

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Taylor Swift's new album is great... looove it...

Made me look.

Was surprised (for some reason) to find her voice autotuned.

I mean, there were were only like four notes she had to hit.

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
Made me look.

Did you do a rigorous scientific analysis of this or is this your opinion?
Let's see the data...

Robin L

Master Contributor
Portamenti & excessive vibrato.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see why enjoying any music should be a guilty pleasure as such, if it gives you pleasure then it gives you pleasure. People laugh at me for being an avid Carpenters fan and I sometimes call it a guilty pleasure but their music gives me an awful lot of pleasure.

Robin L

Master Contributor

murraycamp

Forum Donor
Vinyl.

And the Butthole Surfers.

Twitch54

OK, I'll bite ..............

it's a warm summers evening, I'm on my back deck after dinner sipping on some Irish Whiskey (Red Breast) , smoking a 'laFlora Dominicana' (dbl ligero) and listening to Pandora played through a bluetooth connection to my Sony 'boom box'

garbulky

Major Contributor
OK, I'll bite ..............

it's a warm summers evening, I'm on my back deck after dinner sipping on some Irish Whiskey (Red Breast) , smoking a 'laFlora Dominicana' (dbl ligero) and listening to Pandora played through a bluetooth connection to my Sony 'boom box'
I too use Pandora and bluetooth to terrible speakers for similar reasons! I think if I'm outside the house I don't care. :D :D

digicidal

Major Contributor
Made me look.

I could understand it if there were only two, but you really expect a modern pop singer to hit four separate notes... in the same song?!? Some people's standards are just way too high. :facepalm:

Anime soundtracks.... It's good I never had kids 'cuz I can only imagine the looks. Best of all, most of them are JP-only imports... so the DR is far better than on domestic recordings for the most part. Mostly just the movies, but there are a few broadcast series that I enjoy as well - as you might have guessed by my avatar. Love the Yoko Kanno compositions and Origa is fantastic as well.

OP
T

Tircuit

Forum Donor

Brave admission!

But yeah, I'm a black communist and dig some of this neo-nazi band's early stuff, lol. But I grew up with a lot of mod and (non-racist) skinhead friends.

Top Bottom