• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's your dream system?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Dear Old Sysop -- as I am insatiably curious, what do you see as my "generalized judgement errors"? I reread what I wrote and confess I seem blind to whichever I inadvertently made.

Sal was replying to him...Not him to you...

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't heard enough stuff to know what my "dream system" is.

In terms of electronics, I have never used RoomPerfect or the full version of Trinnov Optimizer, for example. (I did have a Sherwood AVR with Trinnov Lite, and a boatload of HDMI and control issues.)

In terms of speakers a "dream system" for me would look like a comfortable living room with nice furniture and tasteful artwork, but sound like an orchestra (or other concert) when called upon. Yet, the sample size of excellent in-wall or in-ceiling speakers I have heard is just 2: JBL SCL-3, the old Pioneer EX line with TAD technology.

Daverz

Major Contributor
I'd start with just the equipment I already have, but in a house in the country with a room built from the ground up for audio...

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Neumann KH420’s with KH805 matching subs. Just arrived.
Bryston BP-26 cause i’m Canadian
Bryston BPD-3 “ “
Bryston BDA-3 “ “
Marantz 6004, which I would use a very little
VPI Classic 3, cause it looks good and use even less
MiniDSP. DD24, cause I don’t have a perfect room.

Oh, I already have this, if I could find that perfect room the Shangri La.

I’d like the to have the KH420 as well in a surround setup... but I think even before that I’d rather have “perfect hearing” back first as when I was younger, and secondarily, perfectly treated and sized room(s) for music and movies that'll fit the entire family — and pet proof, too — not just a room for myself alone.

*what good is the perfect audio system when your hearing is shit/faulty as hell.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
None of this gear really even goes together, but it's sort of what I'd like if I lived in Windsor Castle, and if dollars were pennies. Mainly because it looks cool. Otherwise I'd just stick with my Benchmark stuff. LOL

lnp-2l.JPG

carver.jpg

trio-classico-xd-header.jpg

dp-100m-h.jpg

revox.jpg

nak.jpg

Old Listener

Good thread, @Ron Texas. I not longer aspire to have the biggest and best audio gear so I had to think. I'm not dreaming of much beyond the h/w and s/w that I use now.

My guiding principles for years have been

1. simplicity - fewer boxes, fewer wires, fewer hassles.

2. reliability - Make the gear and software work like appliances. If it works well today, it should work well tomorrow and the next day.

3. ease of use - Music player UI has been very important to me for 13 years. Remote volume control from the listening position is important as is browsing and selecting music from the listening position. One button on/off power control is important.

4. Good sound for the material that I play - I've put plenty of thought into what matters to me and I make choices that meet my own needs without concern for things that don't matter to me.

5. buy and hold - I want gear that.I can use for 7 to 10 years before replacement.

6. cost effective - There are always more things to spend money on than there are dollars to spend. Spending carelessly is not a fun activity for me.

I listen to music and TV sound through four systems":

main system - Intel i5 NUC, Win 8.1, JRiver player s/w,SDAC Balanced Dac , Dynaudio LYD48 active monitors (3-way, 8" woofer). 10" Android tablet for remote control and sometimes watching videos.

Office system - Intel i5 NUC, Win 10. JRiver s/w, Audioquest Dragonfire Red Dac, Audioengine HD6 powered speakers

Living room - TCL 43" Roku (smart) TV, Audioengine HD6 powered speakers, Sennheiser RS 120 wireless headphones

Walking around/exercise - Moo G6 smartphone, Koss KTXPRO1 headphones

And of course, REW s/w and a measurement mic.

Nothing very expensive but most of the h/w and s/w was chosen to fit my own needs. The Koss phones were bought for a video project but work well for daily exercise entertainment.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Old Listener I pretty much follow the same rules although I don't worry about one button power control. My main system is on a Pentium NUC. It doesn't take a whole lot of CPU cycles to play music. I see you like active speakers which does cut down on the boxes.

Sekenenz

This is my point of reference and dream... but at least I can go and listen to it from time to time.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm dreaming small. In order to have a dream that can come true.
Pre-amp: miniDSP SHD
Power amp: March Audio P122
Speakers: NewForm Reasearch Ribbon Tower 30 w/external crossovers
A larger Listening Room say 12'H X 16'W X 20'L instead of the cramped 8'H X 11'W X 17'L I have.
My sources are sufficient as is.

Well, the room is not going to happen. Also, Rhymik Subs if needed.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had forgotten all about the Mark Levinson LNP-2! Beautiful to behold but there's a lot of point to point wiring inside that unit, not to mention epoxy-encapsulated active circuits. But the hardware is all stainless steel, and the markings are all engraved and paint-filled which is great.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In a perfect world, all I'd need would be a cinema receiver, and a tiny, decor-friendly 7.1-channel speaker array which would be totally satisfying for music listening as well as movies. Much of it would be wireless and about this size:
1-wonderboom2-front-deep-space-black.png.imgw.1000.1000.png

Tool

My dream system (For the start;)):

MARK LEVINSON NO 52

MARK LEVINSON NO 53

And this speakers:

1568300123305.png

Maybe some day:cool:

LDKTA

2 Ch:
JBL M2s
(2) Crown iTech 5000HD
Trinnov ST2 Pro

HT:
JBL M2s (LCR) + (3) Crown iTech 5000HDs
(10) JBL 708i's -- Surrounds + (10) Crown DCi 2/600s
(10) JBL 705i's -- Atmos + 10) Crown DCi 2/600s
Trinnov Altitude 48ext
(12) Custom Sundown Audio/Stereo Integrity TEAM 24" Subwoofers
(6) SpeakerPower SP2-12000-DPs

Theater would be built from the ground up to be soundproofed, room treated, hermetically sealed with custom AC. All amplification and the processor will be in a different room... that'll also be soundproofed from the outside in. Lol, I'm sure I can think of more but that'll do for now.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Interesting. I know very little about high-end equipment, so it is almost pointless for me to draw up a "dream" system. But my parameters appear to be similar to this- something fairly minimalist in footprint, built around a music server, and with very low profile speakers.

I would not call the KH420 and accompanying sub low profile. But if one could afford (and have the space) to build a surround sound home theater/music room with the speakers (KH310 as surrounds instead of all 420s) and subs completely flush with the walls -- and LED lights switches turned off -- then maybe you could make it appear minimalist enough.

Maybe something that superficially looks a bit like this: Brolic Media: Seats and Media Server Update

Although, I would prefer different seats that's more suited to music listening, and some less spaceship-like lighting effects.

*I particularly have a strong (aesthetic) dislike of those klipsch speakers with the very obvious colored drivers which seems to be so common in many American home theaters. I want my speakers to "disappear" in the background (couldn't care less if they cost an arm and a leg).

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to dream of a dedicated audio room with a huge system. When I lived in the suburbs, I had a finished basement more or less to myself for a while, and I had my Thiels down there and got things set up. But I was never going down there. I like listening in the Living Room, a nice, comfortable space, with my wife sitting next to me. Now that I live in an apartment, it's a necessity, but I know I wouldn't use a listening room if I had one.

So it's really about the system that fits into that lifestyle but sounds natural and keeps me coming back. No guarantees, but my current system (Cambridge Audio->March Audio-Harbeth) is doing the job, and fits nicely into how I use my space. In fact, I think I'll lose the system shelving soon. I no longer have cable TV and I listen to music and read just about every night I'm home.

[listening to Walton's viola concerto right now - Hong-Mei Xiao and Budapest Symphony Orchestra]

Last edited:
Top Bottom