• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crucial MX500 1TB SSD

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Don't be an early adopter unless you can commercially justify it or the money is burning a hole in your pocket and your ego can put out the fire. o_O
Depends on the circumstances. As I said in the OP, I paid $189.00 for a 60gb SSD back in 2008 and never regretted a penny of it.
The increase in the speed of booting, loading apps, etc was staggering, I had never seen anything like it back then. LOL
A huge boost in performance and it's still the home for my workstation PCLinuxOS partition. Love it. ;)

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Keep buying these drives -- it keeps me employed :)
You work there?
How bout pickin me up a couple 2TB MX500's at employee cost?
Thst would be a real nice thing to do for a ASR brother. ;)

Wombat

Master Contributor
Depends on the circumstances. As I said in the OP, I paid $189.00 for a 60gb SSD back in 2008 and never regretted a penny of it.
The increase in the speed of booting, loading apps, etc was staggering, I had never seen anything like it back then. LOL
A huge boost in performance and it's still the home for my workstation PCLinuxOS partition. Love it. ;)

My Desktop's 500GB HDD crapped out last week. I had it replaced by a 2.5" Crucial 480 GB SSD plus an almost new 500GB HDD fitted for system back-ups(salvaged from my recently deceased laptop - full mug of coffee direct hit). There are also 2x Portable HDDs for files.

The Crucial was $AU145($US99) retail. Boot up is faster and smoother. :)

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I've been using a Crucial MX500 1TB SSD for a month now. It works just fine.
So good to listen to music in silence...

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
(salvaged from my recently deceased laptop - full mug of coffee direct hit)
Ouch, that sucks in a major way. Been there, done that. :mad:

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sal, glad to read that the ripping program is working for you. 2TB? Don't do it. Go way, way, more if you're seriously considering growing a multi channel music collection. NAS (or at least JBOD). I have a QNAP 4 bay with 6TB drives in a Raid 5 config, giving me about 16TB of actual capacity. Recently I max'ed it out and had to get an expansion unit with two 10TB drives. I should have got an 8 bay QNAP in the first place but at the time I never thought I'd come close to filling up the 4 bay.
Well you were right Ron, I was running out of space again. LOL I just pulled the plug on a 2 TB Crucial MX500 for $219 at Newegg. As for going even bigger, as it stands right now I could buy 2x2TB for $438 while 4TB are running well over $500.
Brother the mch files eat disc space fast. ;)

Last edited:

adc

I have two older drives that I keep stored - query, does the data degrade from just sitting there?

Platters generally should be fine for a long time as long as they are stored correctly (reasonable humidity and cool temps, away from sources of magnetism).

SSD cells' information will, in theory, decay eventually without power, but as far as I know, there's no good data yet on how problematic that is in practice and at what point in time. Speaking for myself, I'd avoid using SSDs for long term cold storage until that is better understood, particularly the low-cost, higher-density types that are entering the market. I'd welcome quality data on that point if it's out there.

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The period of decay of a proton is something like the expected age of the universe. Possibly that informs of the answer.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
SSD cells' information will, in theory, decay eventually without power, but as far as I know, there's no good data yet on how problematic that is in practice and at what point in time. Speaking for myself, I'd avoid using SSDs for long term cold storage until that is better understood, particularly the low-cost, higher-density types that are entering the market. I'd welcome quality data on that point if it's out there.
A good percentage of those here are too old to worry about it. :p

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
Well you were right Ron, I was running out of space again. LOL I just pulled the plug on a 2 TB Crucial MX500 for $219 at Newegg. As for going even bigger, as it stands right now I could buy 2x2TB for $438 while 4TB are running well over $500.
Brother the mch files eat disc space fast. ;)

:)

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Actually, since the universe is already a massive computation and storage device, I wonder why we're bothering to re-store what is already being recorded. Now, if only I could find that god-*%!$ed underlying hard drive!

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In October I bought a barebones Intel NUC8i7 mini desktop PC (although it is a desktop, it uses a "laptop CPU) and installed 16Mb of double bank Crucial DIMM memory and a 1Tb Crucial M.2 SSD ($96 from Amazon). I used the Windows 10 license from my dead Toshiba laptop.

My new Gen 8 NUC is lightning fast - 15 seconds boot time, and Novabench scores it at about 25% faster than my older and MUCH BIGGER Lenovo M900 ThinkCentre desktop with an Intel Core i7 (Kaby Lake) CPU and a 1Tb Crucial 2.5" SATA SSD. I now use that Crucial SATA SSD to backup the NUC.

(I find it amazing to have such a powerful mini-PC that is about as small as my SMSL Q5 Pro desktop DAC/Amp that sits next to it. The compactness of my current computer and audio system is astounding to someone who became an audiophile in the last year of monaural vacuum-tube only audio (1958) and started using PC's with the original IBM PC in 1984.)

Unfortunately, intermittent freezing requiring a power-button hard reboot seems to be fairly common with NUCs, and my new NUC would freeze anywhere from a couple of times a day to a dozen times or more. With a 15 second reboot time and no problem restoring Firefox sessions, I put up with it. But this morning it was really bad, so I finally did a bit of Google searching, which indicated that it was likely graphics related. I used the Intel driver update utility, and it found a new graphics driver that was dated December 3. After installing the latest driver this morning, my NUC hasn't frozen once. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I found a long-term solution.

I have a older Celeron-based Intel NUC that I dual-boot to Daphile for audio, or to LibreElec/Kodi for video. Right now it's much faster that using my Synology to copy video files to a USB 3 flash drive and carry it 10 feet from my PC desk to the media center NUC. I watch and delete movies, but have a "permanent" music library that I maintain. All of my thousands of digital music files are on a Synology single-bay 4Tb NAS. But a typical NAS is far too complicated with way too many functions and extra apps for what I need.

So why not a simple "smart" ethernet-attached SDD? Apparently that is an idea that Toshiba is apparently developing - a NAS substitute without the bulk and complexity of a traditional NAS.

But for now, I will continue to use a USB 3 to SATA adapter (below) for sharing and moving files - much, much faster than reading from and writing to my NAS with its mechanical hard drives. The internal SATA 2.5 SSD drives are completely enclosed, the connector is recessed, and in a dry, clean environment, I don't see the need to be put them into an "external drive" enclosure. I simply treat them like big USB flash drives.

Inatek USB3-SATA Adapter.jpg

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I just pulled the plug on a 2 TB Crucial MX500
This move was made for the immediate future coverage of doing backups.
The next step will be for some type of off-site storage and use all I have now for the first level file storage.
I've looked at a few options but still investigating the pro/cons.

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
The period of decay of a proton is something like the expected age of the universe. Possibly that informs of the answer.

Data retention on SSD drives is determined by how long electrons can stay put on the floating gate of the NAND flash cells. This is how the data is actually stored and read out. There are numerous mechanisms that degrade the charge stored on the floating gates...

threni

Major Contributor
Hi,

I've been using a Crucial MX500 1TB SSD for a month now. It works just fine.
So good to listen to music in silence...

I'm not sure how loud a cheap 4tb 2.5" laptop hard drive would have to be to make me want to shell out loads more $$$ for a much smaller SSD one! You must have extremely sensitive hearing!

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure how loud a cheap 4tb 2.5" laptop hard drive would have to be to make me want to shell out loads more $$$ for a much smaller SSD one! You must have extremely sensitive hearing!

Fair enough but then you do not need a DAC with better SINAD than 50dB say.

Top Bottom