• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Totaldac d1-six DAC

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Archimago conducted the survey on a quite small population of 151 listeners but the results were quite surprisingly.
Interestingly, the total listeners with setups worth > $6,000 preferring the 320k were almost twice the others (55.6% vs. 29.6%).
How low the background noise of a setup is plays a BIG role in differentiating an High-Res track ---> MP3 ---> FLAC.

Veri

Master Contributor
Generally cd players measure a lot better than external dacs, even ancient cd players were jitterless..

Looking at Archimago's posts on DACs, modern ones are all just about jitter-free too...

peanuts

John Curl is crazy, have you seen his bybee nonsense over on diyaudio? he passoinatly promotes a resistor fraud.

bybee_03.jpg

Attachments

• bybee.JPG
    bybee.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 215

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds more like the 'mute output on digital zero' trick that was common in those times...
Still common these days I think, in a domestic environment I think it's a good idea, no idea about studios, does make testing slightly trickier.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
John Curl is crazy, have you seen his bybee nonsense over on diyaudio? he passoinatly promotes a resistor fraud.

John likes to use this as an attention-getting device when he feels like he's not the center of attention. He drags it out, talks all about how Bybee taught Feynman about superconductivity, posts a graph with squiggles and circles on it that he's kept for many decades, gets lots of predictable responses, and feels better.

I did some extensive measurements some years back. It's indeed just a low value resistor wrapped in a fairy tale. Even the materials claims were fraudulent.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I don't understand what is purporting to be doing......

Well THERE'S your first problem...

It's not about understanding, it's just about the music...

Get back in line and try to follow along.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
We can agree on this only if we agree on that what you think as well doesn't mean anything. Do we agree, then?
I was not stomping my feet to get you to agree to anything. I provided actual explanation and data from the video you posted on why your position was wrong. Answering with, "I think it is important" is neither here, nor there. You need to demonstrate you understand what is explained in that video. Your posts indicate you were not following any of that talk which is not surprising given the highly technical nature of it.

And don't take it personal if what you think means nothing.
Like those guesses about what ESS did and what they didn't do with their listening session setups.
Once again, I am going by data. Nothing in the video says the claims of audiophiles were verified using controlled testing. That is plain and clear or there would be statements to how they verified them, statistical analysis of the results, etc. You know, what you commonly find in any presentation that is based on sound audio science.

Your wishful thinking that they were controlled is the opinion that is of no value.

Finally, I am an electrical engineer. I understand signal processing and know what is, or is not in that video. So I do have a more informed opinion than you. I also post under my real name so my qualifications can be examined. None of this is true of you so please don't equate the two of us. It again discards facts that are plain and visible.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir tested like 150, 200 DACs or devices here, and still doesn't know how to properly set up a bandwidth to do a proper frequency measurement.
None of those DACs were broken as much as this one as to require bending over backward to extract even simple frequency response info out of it.

That's amateur level mistake.
Well, the amature mistake is a) to bring up this topic and b) buying a DAC with this (updated) frequency Response measurement:

index.php

So using totaldac d1-six as promoted in non-filtered mode, gets you the red curve which has a roll off starting as early as 3 kHz. By the time we get to 20 kHz, it is down 3.2 dB. No one mixes music assuming you play it back rolled off this way.

And let's agree that if your hearing extends to 20 kHz, you don't need any special training to hear this roll off. It will be plain and obvious deviation from correct frequency response.

In my original test, this attenuation was more mild so that would have been in favor of the DAC. This new measurement damns it a lot more! See what I mean about it being a mistake to bring it up?

Note that even the correction filter doesn't get you flat response that a cheap DAC would. Worse yet, it gets rid of what folks cherish in these DACs: square wave response:

index.php

So now you have least of both worlds. Bad squarewave and bad response!

Back to statement about me, I was happy to run new tests. Your favorite designer has refused to run any whatsoever. I am transparent about what I do. I ran test after test, meeting every requirement for new measurements. I spent nearly a week on this device. I am not afraid of what the results show. The designer though seems terrified to post any measurements despite saying he has an Audio Precision analyzer. Can you tell me why someone with that analyzer would not post one thing with it?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I do not recommend or represent any manufacturer, be it tube amps or any specific topology, dac or anything else to that matter.
But did you write a review on a Totaldac product?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Defend him as much as you wish since this is cult-like atmosphere anyway.
We wear our cult of audio science with pride. Just as well as your doctor would about his education and experience. Or your lawyer about his.

We also show extreme tolerance to people who oppose our ideas. The designer despite being impolite and uncooperative, was allowed to say everything he wanted. Same with you.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
We wear our cult of audio science with pride. Just as well as your doctor would about his education and experience. Or your lawyer about his.

We also show extreme tolerance to people who oppose our ideas. The designer despite being impolite and uncooperative, was allowed to say everything he wanted. Same with you.
We can't be a cult , if we were a cult I would expect to be having way more sex.

I think this evidence finally brings the ' cult ' accusations to a definite end.

sweetsounds

BorderPatrol response to measurements:
"Despite inferior measurements, there is a good argument to be made that R-2R NOS DACs are more accurate than delta-sigma DACs, which use upsampling and massive error correction to achieve good measured performance. D-S DACs are high-speed educated guessers, with no direct relationship between input and output, whereas a NOS DAC directly converts digits into current, with no guessing and no upsampling. Maybe that explains why NOS DACs are usually referred to as direct, natural, and organic. They simply sound more real"
The other 2 dacs had better measurements, perfectly good in most aspects.

It is hard to understand, why anyone wants to build the R2R network by discretes except to show off.
The problem is the matching tolerance. So you should process them on a silicon chip with excellent process control.
But h

bybee_03.jpg

Actually, cryogenic treatment works.
We use it in manufacturing to change the stress level of copper. However, electrically it changes only a couple of percent.

You want to see something crazy, look at cryogenically and synchrotron radiated Schnerzinger cables for 5-digit prices. I would like to see a blind test on those :)

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We can't be a cult , if we were a cult I would expect to be having way more sex.

I think this evidence finally brings the ' cult ' accusations to a definite end.
Well, I hate to bring up Heaven's Gate to you, Thomas...

(At least some of them castrated themselves, if memory serves.)

Top Bottom