• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

IHeartAudio

I did a search in this thread and looked over the DX7s manual (as I saw no D70 manual on Topping's site) and didn't see this clarified. Can you set a different volume for RCA and XLR and it remembers those? If yes, does it have to be in one of those modes or does it remember the setting even in RCA/XLR? If not, how is volume handled when switching outputs?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And why exactly is that needed and what new information could come from that? Don't you understand that AP analyzer does exactly that - it records the analog output to analyze it and the results are what they are, so why would anyone want to see the recording of the output of the DACs that have already been measured here?

I agree with you but some other people still need to be convinced.

zym1010

Forum Donor

gvl

Major Contributor
just curious about some of you have such a problem: New Topping D70 DOA

I had the same problem with the DX7s, bad DAC chip soldering, I had to ship it to Topping and they resoldered one DAC chip. It is a bit disconcerting to see these issues persist between models, but it might be a completely different problem altogether.

laidick

Forum Donor
Hi,

First post here, I just bought D70 and waiting for delivery.
May I know if there is any network streamer recommended to pair with D70 ? Is using I2S connector would get the best sound?

Thanks!

gvl

Major Contributor
Don't bother with I2S, any other input will serve you fine. What do you want to stream?

laidick

Forum Donor
Don't bother with I2S, any other input will serve you fine. What do you want to stream?

I have quite a lot of flac and dsd files on my NAS
Currently I have a laptop with USB out and a RPI3+ .
However both of them are USB out, and I heard that USB has lot of noise or jitter whatever, and I2S has the best signal . No?

Thanks.

gvl

Major Contributor
People say a lot of things. USB is fine. If it's not fine you will hear it, but until then don't try to solve the problem which doesn't exist. As for the streamer, you can install Volumio on your RPI.

zym1010

Forum Donor
People say a lot of things. USB is fine. If it's not fine you will hear it, but until then don't try to solve the problem which doesn't exist. As for the streamer, you can install Volumio on your RPI.

For Volumio, I tried installing it in a VirtualBox VM, and native DSD did not work (DoP does though) with D70, FYI. https://daphile.com worked with D70 on native DSD mode.

laidick

Forum Donor

Yes, currently I am using Volumio on my RPI3.
And together with a Nanomesher DAC HAT which works fine. But I am eager to get better performance so I purchased D70. And want to feed the best signal over.

I will definitely try USB as it is available in my current system with no cost at all. Just wonder if there would be any better choice over it.

Cheers.

gvl

Major Contributor
USB should be the best. In rare cases there can be a ground loop or noise leakage from your computer. Those type of issues are easily audible. If your DAC is dead quiet between songs over USB you're all set.

laidick

Forum Donor
USB should be the best. In rare cases there can be a ground loop or noise leakage from your computer. Those type of issues are easily audible. If your DAC is dead quiet between songs over USB you're all set.

Actually, may I know the main difference between USB and I2S? Is it just about noise or hump? Or something else? Thanks

Veri

Master Contributor
Actually, may I know the main difference between USB and I2S? Is it just about noise or hump? Or something else? Thanks
Amir found no benefit whatsoever
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/study-is-i²s-interface-better-for-dacs-than-s-pdif-or-usb.7105/

USB transport will also convert to I2S. I2S is a data standard that was never really intended to go over longer cables but only ultra short or direct, between chips. It is touted on certain forums to sound better. On ASR no one found a single proof of that.. always good to stay sceptical :);)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hi,

First post here, I just bought D70 and waiting for delivery.
May I know if there is any network streamer recommended to pair with D70 ? Is using I2S connector would get the best sound?

Thanks!

I am a big fan of the Chromecast Audio...optical connection in this case. Easy, no fuss. Just bitperfect transport.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Put'em in a rocket like Neil got convinced 50 years ago.

That would certainly be effective, but too expensive. I was asking for a realistic way to do that. :)

I dont see a way to prove to folks that DACs sound the same unless they are willing to start considering that on their own..

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That would certainly be effective, but too expensive. I was asking for a realistic way to do that. :)

I dont see a way to prove to folks that DACs sound the same unless they are willing to start considering that on their own..

Perhaps organizing a fake ABX where you make them believe they listen to 2 different DACs whereas there's only one. Something like that.

Top Bottom