• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Live Albums

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Off the top of my head, Curtis/Live! by Curtis Mayfield, Babylon by Bus by Bob Marley and The Wailers, and Live in New Orleans by Maze featuring Frankie Beverly.

OP
Ron Party

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
Well, in keeping with all time greats such as the ABB, no proper live album list would be complete without...

folder.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Saw Little Feet about 20 years ago at the Chicago House of Blues.
Big time fun. :)

LarsF

Stiff little fingers - See you up there!

40 years on, I still never get tired of going to see these guys.
I went to a concert with them here i Sweden very long time ago, I don't remember which year, but I think it was in the beginning in the 80's. Still listen to them from time to time :)

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
But musically it was a magical night for the AB band. everyone in top form showing talent way past their young years.

Fate played its hand with the members of the band but there's no denying that the album was a resounding "definitive statement" on their talent. I wonder if the band knew that at the time... if they did, it would have made the pain of what came after much more tolerable.

It's interesting how, for some bands, the tumblers click into perfect alignment. Others struggle and flirt with greatness, always coming up a little bit short or under appreciated.

OP
Ron Party

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
Saw him in concert in Santa Barbara about 35 years ago. Serious chops.

folder.jpg

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
SRV live in tokyo
it's for me the best version of the
Tin Pan Alley with a really correct sound recording

dc655321

Major Contributor
Somewhat surprised this hasn't been posted here (could not find a reference on this thread).

Last edited:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Deep Purple made in japan. Dit not like the recordings of Deep Purple in the 70ties sounded way to harsh. But Made in Japan brings theire music to a total different sound level completely balanced compared to their original 70ties albums recordings.

Last edited:

Newk Yuler

Journey Captured. (1981) Recorded right before Gregg Rolie left, Neal Schon's guitar was fully amazing and inspired, and Steve Perry's voice was undamaged, velvet-smooth and filled with energy. The band (IMO) took a self destructive turn into commercialized sterility after Rolie left although I believe Escape (1981) was a great album. Cranks to earbleed very, very well. I still can't sit still when it's playing. Captured is a phenomenal live album from an amazing short-lived period of time for pop rock and blues guitar oriented hard rock music. When a Hammond B3 still played well in a rock band.

Look on Youtube for Neal Schon's much more recent "Journey Through Time" videos featuring Gregg Rolie and many of the era's songs faithfully played in a club environment.

The CD version was remastered at some point during the loudness wars to questionably "better" sound. If I needed another copy I would probably look for an earlier used CD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captured_(Journey_album)

murraycamp

Forum Donor
1570812539787.png
1570812603345.png

Couldn't decide which one was better.

Shorty

What? Eight pages of favorite live albums, and no-one mentions
1571255741302.jpeg

For a teaser, check out this:

Edit: Ron Party beat me to it! A man of taste....

Last edited:

Eirikur

Got a German progressive/psychedelic rock band for you
Agitation Free, with At the Cliffs of River Rhine (Cologne, February 2nd, 1974)
Lutz Ulbrich - guitar
Gustav Lütjens - guitar
Michael Günther - bass
Burghard Rausch - drums
Michael Hoenig - keyboards, synthesizer

Top Bottom