• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Negative gravity sound particles

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah buddy, that and a Bricklin.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
*Pulls out crystal ball*

With an ominous voice: "I see thousands of snake oil products in the future claiming to take advantage of negative gravity!"

But hey, interesting discovery. Hope it leads to something useful.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I am a bit skeptical of this one... Remember cold fusion?

Then this idea would also suggest that light is transmitted via some media but this has been thoroughly disproved by the fact the speed of light is the fundamentally consistent aspect of reality.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Then this idea would also suggest that light is transmitted via some media but this has been thoroughly disproved by the fact the speed of light is the fundamentally consistent aspect of reality.
Maybe, maybe not. Light has different speeds in different mediums it travels through. Like glass or different kinds of fiber optics. The more common fiber optic cable slows light speed by 30%.

1560995808529.png

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Yep, the cable companies will be all over this, justifying impact resistant outer jackets to prevent mass-bombardment of the conductors resulting in intermodulation products that: "modern technology isn’t sensitive enough to measure the minuscule amounts of mass that a sonic wave can carry"

But discerning audiophiles with sufficiently resolving systems can hear the difference of course. :)

When light travels in a medium, light still travels through space at the speed of light until it encounters a molecule and the photon energy is absorbed and then re-emitted into the space in between molecules, which then travels at the speed of light in free space until absorbed by the next molecule. The apparent slowing of light in medium is because of the extra time spent in interacting with the molecules in the medium.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Maybe, maybe not. Light has different speeds in different mediums it travels through. Like glass or different kinds of fiber optics. The more common fiber optic cable slows light speed by 30%.

View attachment 27966

Look, I tried that tweak and it didn't improve a thing!

Putting TosLink cables through my vacuum didn't fix my PRaT, it just covered the room in dust.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When light travels in a medium, light still travels through space at the speed of light until it encounters a molecule and the photon energy is absorbed and then re-emitted into the space in between molecules, which then travels at the speed of light in free space until absorbed by the next molecule. The apparent slowing of light in medium is because of the extra time spent in interacting with the molecules in the medium.
Yes, I knew this. That is why my post was maybe, maybe not. It slows in a medium, but travel between without slowing. The original link I think may have been short on details and perhaps how they modeled negative gravity sound particles wasn't accurately put in the article.

To put it another way this would imply sound waves could travel in a vacuum which is certainly not the case.

Krunok

Major Contributor
To put it another way this would imply sound waves could travel in a vacuum which is certainly not the case.

As they are said to carry mass, are you sure they cannot travel in vacuum? Maybe the measuremetns were not precise enough.. :D

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You misunderstood. The speed of light is a fundamental constant of nature.

One of 26 or so, possibly more (to explain what puzzles us) hopefully less (to explain what puzzles us beautifully).

HiFiSoundFarts said:

There's a relevant comment in the paper about excitations propagating in a Poincaré-invariant vacuum. That's probably not going to satisfy QED theorists, but the debate is so much beyond our grasp that it is impossible to have an informed opinion.

One thing is certain though, one way or another, the actual vacuum isn't how high-school vacuum is usually imagined.

Oh, and if you think you know what vacuum is for sure in terms of GR and QFT, congratulations, you have a TOE. The next step is simply to prove it formally. Should be a piece of cake.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

Of course it does. I mean, when the Death Star blew up, you could hear the BOOM. Explain THAT, Mr. Smart Guy.

Top Bottom