• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should Amir go to Canjam in Southern California?

gvl

Major Contributor
Yup, don't go. You can't really mingle with the crowd there now.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Have you listened to the Abyss @amirm What did you think?
You mean the AB-1266 Phi or the Diana ?

That Phi felt heavy like a brick on the head. Certainly doesn't win points for comfort.

And if you are wondering my opinions about it, nope, I certainly didn't like it as much as the Hifiman Arya or Metze Empyrean. But I really dig the Raal SR1a.

garbulky

Major Contributor
You mean the AB-1266 Phi or the Diana ?

That Phi felt heavy like a brick on the head. Certainly doesn't win points for comfort.

And if you are wondering my opinions about it, nope, I certainly didn't like it as much as the Hifiman Arya or Metze Empyrean. But I really dig the Raal SR1a.
I guess any of them. Thanks for the other impressions. I hadn't heard of any of them. Have you heard the HD800S or the HD800?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I guess any of them. Thanks for the other impressions. I hadn't heard of any of them. Have you heard the HD800S or the HD800?

Oh certainly. I had a HD800 for a few months loaned from a friend.

Between the above named and the HD800, I rank it just behind the Arya. It has almost everything I need from it but its a little too clinical for some music tracks at times but the weight and comfort of the HD800 are excellent for me. They are not something I can listen to for multi-hour work sessions though as sometimes that wee bit of treble peak seeps though on certain music tracks and can be a little irritating / fatiguing. But very, very good for over 90% of what I listen to. Mostly orchestral music and acoustic / solo vocals in general. For the latter part, the Arya are preferred over the HD800 though I still rate the HD650 / 6XX very highly for vocals.

The Empyrean are excellent too, nicely detailed and textured presentation of music in general but kind of weighty for my comfort, not as bad as the Phi though as its headband design is excellent.

I didn't get to try out the Diana so, can't comment on those.

As I must state, these are purely from my subjective preferences. And not in any way suggesting that one is better or otherwise.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir pulling a cart with his AP onto the show floor... It would be epic.
I could keep it in my hotel room, borrow stuff, measure and then give them back!

cjfrbw

I could keep it in my hotel room, borrow stuff, measure and then give them back!
Amir would cause a riot, and vendors/customers would be rolling around strangling each other. However, they might also get pitchforks and torches and decide to come after Amir too.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Ok, so apparently you're going.

Well, maybe you could distribute your Seal of Approval (or disapproval, or perplexity, as the case may be).

On the wall by the door... as you take a picture of the entry upon leaving the room...

1560751422741.png

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32963002020.html

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Nah, stay home, breathe the fresh air, weed a few flower beds, and test more gear. :)

August

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Seems like there is a lot of immaturity around Amir going. If I were Amir I would go. That show is for grown-ass men and women. No one should be throwing eggs and flour at anyone in the audio industry, that kind of carry on would just make potential buyers/hobbyists turn and run. But just kind of lay low, don't say anything about gear being poor or measuring poorly whatever. Just go, see what your eyes and ears like, see what you might like to get your hands on in the future.

Some vendors would get shaky perhaps when they see Amir, I would too - But that still cant stop me from letting him try the gear and have an opinion. That's the nature of this beast, someone gets a bit of internet clout either by posting measurements or poetically worded reviews and the result can make vendors products boom or bust. There's always going to be left and right brained people, and there's always going to be products for left and right brained people. If you are a vendor just choose your audience wisely.

If you were a vendor reading this, and turned down Amir at the show, you would be a right Jack-Ass.

p.s. the panther stickers is an awesome idea, but it could be the match to the hay-bail. On the other hand, reviewers are always putting their "Product of canjam" trophies on things and taking pictures. So why couldn't Amir have a sticker for something to say "Looks well engineered" or something like that.

tential

How does auditioning gear there work? If I want to try out every headphone in the venue is that possible?

Top Bottom