• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Panasonic 2018 flagship UB9000 Blu-ray player launching at Value Electronics

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So what would you prefer, MP3 or 24/96 High Def sound?
Given how many people cannot tell MP3 and flac apart with 2 channel, how confident are you to tell multi channel lossy from lossless? I'm not confident I could do it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Given how many people cannot tell MP3 and flac apart with 2 channel, how confident are you to tell multi channel lossy from lossless? I'm not confident I could do it.
I'm not either. But seeing as a Redbox rental of a first run movie on bluray with both SOTA video and sound costs $2.00, while the PPV stream of the same movie runs about $5.95, I know which one I'm going to pick.

That's wasn't even bringing up the topic of 5.1.4 ATMOS immersive soundfield soundtracks, which is the becoming the norm on bluray and 4k discs. That I can hear the difference in under blind conditions.

BTW, since you can't hear the difference, how many MP3's have you purchased lately?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Also no one is streaming the audio in the lossless Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master formats that comes on BD
Best I know of being used to stream audio is the highly compressed Dolby Digital Plus
So what would you prefer, MP3 or 24/96 High Def sound?

Oh, I don't have my audio system hooked into my TV. I just use the built-in TV speakers, so no point in high res.

Then again, we only watch maybe 10% of stuff on the big screen.

All our other viewing is tablets, laptops, etc.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW, since you can't hear the difference, how many MP3's have you purchased lately?
I can hear the difference with 2ch music, but I suspect once my brain is busy processing images at the same time I wouldn't be able to, and the research form speaker testing shows mch makes it less likely for people to spot errors, seems logical that works with lossy Vs lossless.

I haven't purchased and digital music in a long time, I rent lossless. If I buy any music it would be on vinyl, for the cover and the different sound.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Oh, I don't have my audio system hooked into my TV. I just use the built-in TV speakers, so no point in high res.
Too bad, your missing out on a lot of great audio/video experiences.
A good multich rig can do everything a 2 ch system can, plus so much more.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

It i has dawned to me that I still need physical medium. I listen to music through streaming at 95% .. :) .. Watch movies on Netflix at 80% ... But if I need one of the newest HDR or 4K movies or 3D ( once in a while ...:facepalm:) my Internet connections craps out. So I will buy one of the newest 8K or whatever disc player on eBay :)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Too bad, your missing out on a lot of great audio/video experiences.
A good multich rig can do everything a 2 ch system can, plus so much more.

We just don't watch big blockbuster special FX movies at home -- we go to the movie theater for that.

The living room TV gets used for "couples watching" -- couch time with costume drama stuff like Downtown Abbey, travel shows, or cooking shows, where super sound just doesn't matter.

All the other viewing of streaming TV series and such we watch on our individual tablets, solo.

I'm not a millenial, but I think our video habits are pretty similar to theirs.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That's a lot of cash for a bluray player.
But still less than most used Oppos on ebay.
Buy a used Sony for no more than $100 and play SACD too. :)

Top Bottom