• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG M220 and SMSL Idea

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I ordered a pair of Massdrop/AKG M220 headphones. From what I've read, they're the same as the AKG K240 Studio. Can the SMSL Idea drive them to a listenable volume? From searching around for info, it seems that they can, but I'm not sure.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Massdrop doesn't claim they are (cheap) K240 Studio headphones otherwise they would be called K24X or something like that.
They say this: Inspired by the renowned AKG K240.

The idea can supply about 30mW so about 106dB peak.
That seems loud but isn't really when playing music the undistorted sound it can produce is much lower.
So probably moderately loud at best.
When you only need to go to moderate listening levels (long term listening) it will be enough.

OP
D

DarrylG

Thanks. Moderate is good enough.

bravomail

my answer would be no to SMSL Idea. Very weak. Try Hifime Sabre 9018.

OP
D

DarrylG

Well, I've had the Idea for about a year and a half, using it with earphones. If the headphones don't work well with the Idea, I'll probably just chalk them up as a $35 loss, at least for the time being.

Top Bottom