• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 4.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 145 28.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 336 65.5%

• Total voters

ThatGuyYouKnow

One of the most important things? Where did you get that from? People buy these because they have high performance DACs built-in. The percentage of people who want to use an external DAC would be miniscule.
You make a good point, though this is an exception in my opinion since it is quite affordable relative to the competing solutions. Bypassing the analog section is not wasting all that much money.

Anyway, I have confidence that they did not skimp on the digital output and will just buy it.

BobPM

I dis nothing. And your assertion is wrong. The entire audio pipeline in a streamer is tested including its networking subsystem whether push or pull is used. Testing using Roon endpoint simply has the bonus that I can play bit-exact high resolution test signal. If such a signal existed on a streaming service, the performance would be the same.
I apologize for coming off a little strong. I certainly wish that one of the audiophile loving streaming services would create a test section to facilitate outside testing. The effort you donate to the community is one of the best developments for our hobby in the last 10 years and we are all richer for it. My comments really go to the idea of what a streamer is and how it should be reviewed.

In that respect, I fully understand that testing a streamer, like the computer it is, would be a major undertaking, and I am happy to look elsewhere for recommendations on those functional aspects of the device. However, the point still stands that a major portion of the streaming function occurs on the Roon server and not on the stand alone unit. Accordingly, you are comparing a quite different system with two computers to a little pi box or something like the EverSolo DMP-A6 that attempts to handle the music service integration and download locally.

Fortunately someone posted screen shots of the operating software for this review and it seems intuitive and comprehensive. I judge the Wiim products similarly, but felt it was unfair to not recommend a device that clearly gave transparent output on its inability to run expensive proprietary software. The recent review of the Gustard A26 did not really touch on what it ran for stand-alone streaming, and after a search, it looks like a really good Roon endpoint, but a not ready for prime time streamer.

A streamer is really a mini computer (or two) running software that outputs data to an internal or external DAC. I agree that this means a significantly different testing set-up and scope than your current test system, and will simply be thankful for the data you do provide for such devices.

p.s., I have never been concerned with the internal DACs of a streamer whether my previous Node or my current Wiim Pro. It would be interesting to poll ASR members on the use of Roon, and external DACs.

multisport4me

One of the most important things? Where did you get that from? People buy these because they have high performance DACs built-in. The percentage of people who want to use an external DAC would be miniscule.

Wellllll.... I must admit, I bought this for the HDMI Audio output since the Marantz AV10 cannot take DoP over coax SPDIF. The DAC is a nice to have as well and slightly better than the DACs in the AV10 (which Gene just measured as having SINAD of 106dB). But I admit, the HDMI Audio output and Roon support as well as ability to play hi-res Apple Music out are reason enough for me. I think this DMP-A6 is targeted at users like me that have AVR/AVPs as well as 2-channel folks.

That said, I don't expect you to review for that if my usage is a corner case.

Korvenwin

Wellllll.... I must admit, I bought this for the HDMI Audio output since the Marantz AV10 cannot take DoP over coax SPDIF. The DAC is a nice to have as well and slightly better than the DACs in the AV10 (which Gene just measured as having SINAD of 106dB). But I admit, the HDMI Audio output and Roon support as well as ability to play hi-res Apple Music out are reason enough for me. I think this DMP-A6 is targeted at users like me that have AVR/AVPs as well as 2-channel folks.

That said, I don't expect you to review for that if my usage is a corner case.
I totally agree with you. One of the key features in this streamer is the multichannel support (included Roon).

Last edited:

Kw6

Where can we buy this new Eversolo streamer in North America? I checked Amazon and this model is not there. I have sent the manufacturer an email. No response yet!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Highvolt60

Highvolt, could you give me some more information about your experience with the Rivo?
One thing about the RVIO is it was designed mainly for the USB output IMHO.
The Spdif output was also derived from the small board computer they use (forget what its called).
They simply buffer and transformer isolate the signal (no re clocking etc.) I found out later from the designer.
The USB output is more advanced with filtering and isolation.

Both outputs however sound rounded over when compared directly with using my Oppo as the streaming source or more recently the Mercury V2 (best of the 3).
Specifically there was a lack of both bass and treble which tends to focus your attention on the midrange.
Differences were more pronounced with higher resolution files (24/96k & DSD) which will more reveal issues with jitter or perhaps something in the SBC.

All testing was done with 2 source components feeding Spdif or USB to the same DAC with the same cables so audible differences were only due to the digital source component.

Your mileage may vary depending on your system !

Highvolt60

In those cases you see characterization of digital output. See examples like this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-chromecast-audio-digital-output.4544/

index.php

The purpose of this device is to use its excellent DAC with its streamer. So I tested it that way. I don't have infinite time to test every bit of functionality of every product.
A great example of testing the digital output of a device and also the differences of Jitter rejection between 2 DAC's.
Yes, you do a ton of testing that we all appreciate.
Perhaps maybe setup some guidelines for products people send to you for testing.
This would include not testing some older products that are out of production and some of the cheap stuff (unless someone thinks it's way better than the cost) ?

MichaelJ

As someone remarked earlier, I think one of the distinguishing features of this box is the (presumably high-quality) HDMI output that supports multichannel. This is of interest to me as an owner of the Anthem AVM 70, which, according to Amir’s review, has a cleaner HDMI input compared to COAX. It might also allow me to stream higher-than-192k files to the AVM 70’s internal DACs. (Maybe someone can confirm or deny if the AVM 70 would, in fact, accept 384k signals). Anyway, HDMI-out just is not something I’ve seen on any (?) other streamers, and it might help me, and others in the AVR-camp, squeak out a bit more performance from our AVRs. Beyond that, the build quality, and what’s more, the user interface/display, actually seems to match or exceed the pricepoint and is commensurate with what we should expect in this age of “retina” iPhone and tablet displays. It’s quite refreshing. Typically I hide my Pi/hat-based streamers behind furniture, but I’d be happy to look at this box, what with its VU meters and all, while I’m sitting down for a listen…A tad gimmicky, but it might add something to the experience.

And so, I might be a buyer…except that I have really come to appreciate the Roon -> HQplayer -> NAA pipeline. No need to argue over the merits of HQPlayer here. But, not including NAA along with Airplay and RAAT seems like an odd omission…

edogawa

Interesting box. But with so many of us already having fine DAC's & Preamps I'd be more likely to purchase a straight transport with more digital outputs, like AES/EBU, i2S & BNC. Like a higher quality WiiM Pro...

ICantHearYou

Where can we buy this new Eversolo streamer in North America? I checked Amazon and this model is not there. I have sent the manufacturer an email. No response yet!
Following up on this one so it doesn't get lost as I asked the same question earlier with no answer. Where can you buy this in the US?

Burki

As I read in the zidoo forum, for Roon only PCM multichannel will supported and not DSD through HDMI out.
Is this the truth (it seems, that the DMP-A6 is yet not certified as Roon-ready) or what's the real status?

multisport4me

As I read in the zidoo forum, for Roon only PCM multichannel will supported and not DSD through HDMI out.
Is this the truth (it seems, that the DMP-A6 is yet not certified as Roon-ready) or what's the real status?

Ugh. That would really suck. I mean, not the end of the world, but I had hope to play DSD via HDMI using Roon.

catbb67

Think I saw someone mentioned that the streamer was not on Amazon yet. I asked Eversolo & they said that it would be in a week or 2.

multisport4me

Pretty sure it just runs the Apple Android tablet app and as such, are able to output full hi-res.

Reactions: Mat

miketeachesclass

Forum Donor
I just got an email response that they should be available on amazon in 1-2 weeks.

Top Bottom