• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard A26 DAC & Streamer Review

Rate this DAC and Streamer

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 40.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 127 54.3%

• Total voters

Music1969

Major Contributor
Thanks, @amirm. I was thinking about getting one to measure, you just saved me quite a lot a work.:)

PS: adding threshold of hearing line was a good idea.

About that. I was surprised that such a company could announce a streamer with Roon Ready certification. Doesn't seem to be already the case...
They don't announce Roon Ready anywhere.

It supports Roon - probably just Roon Bridge...

Snoopy

Major Contributor

And it has not that much ram. So you might run into issues there if you use DSD512. I've at least seen reports of issues for the R26. Probably not different with the A26.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well it's a DAC. It cannot be the digital filter for an other "DAC" By definition the output of a "DAC", is analog.
It's not. AKM calls it a "Premium Digital Data Converter", it outputs 7-bit delta-sigma modulated data to the two AK4499EXEQs.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Hum. Seems like I imagined it. :confused:

Specs from @Audiophonics also say "Roon Bridge", which I assume act the same as "Roon Endpoint"...

RandomEar

They have two 110/230 V switches and both are not clearly labeled? That seems like a smoking accident waiting to happen. Who designs something like that?

Edit: Is the voltage imprinted on the black switches themselves? It's really hard to see on the photo.

PeteL

Major Contributor
It's not. AKM calls it a "Premium Digital Data Converter", it outputs 7-bit delta-sigma modulated data to the two AK4499EXEQs.
OK, It is DSP then, It process the digital signal, but I tought you meant the reconstruction filter, which is at the end of the conversion chain.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, It is DSP then, It process the digital signal, but I tought you meant the reconstruction filter, which is at the end of the conversion chain.
The analog one is, the digital one isn’t. It’s before the modulators as can be seen in the block diagram:
IMG_6081.jpeg

glc650

Gustard have no Roon Ready or Roon Tested certification.
It's not a Roon Ready device (instead it is running Roon's bridge software which is almost as good as RR) and Roon Tested is for devices that don't support RAAT (so USB, AirPlay, etc.).

JohnnyNG

The analog one is, the digital one isn’t. It’s before the modulators as can be seen in the block diagram:
View attachment 276172
Looks like some discussion here:

PeteL

Major Contributor
View attachment 276172
I am not sure I understand your point, You where right it's not a DAC, thus, where do you see a digital reconstruction filter in this block diagram? Sorry if I'm missing something.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not sure I understand your point, You where right it's not a DAC, thus, where do you see a digital reconstruction filter in this block diagram? Sorry if I'm missing something.
It's the "Interpolator" bit. You can't have oversampling without a filter (well you can, but it gonna be shit).

PeteL

Major Contributor
It's the "Interpolator" bit. You can't have oversampling without a filter (well you can, but it gonna be shit).
OK, thanks I'll read trough that a bit more. I understand the need for a filter for oversampling, just seem to me that then the 4499 is not doing much for such a high priced dac chip, on other configs I saw the analog filter is completely out of the chip and solely for the images, but thing changes and it appears that you might have got it right.

PeteL

Major Contributor
can be scientifically rigorous and accurate and end up with a name like "the line below which the noise, distortion and other deviations from the original source signal would no longer have any perceivable negative impact on the listening experience of the average listener under normal listening conditions", be somewhat accurate at the expense of brevity and being easily understandable for the average Joe who
I think it is a fair point. Maybe a different name would be better. Any suggestions?

Thinking about it a bit more, it is tough to be Amir isn't it. The variety of audience of his reviews makes it very hard I think. In one side, he
pops up every once in a while, asking for best amp under $500; or he can go with something like "it does not matter to the consumer" line but than get a lot of heat from people who are knowledgeable in the field and point out why that statement is not accurate. Given experts already know better, personally I think it is fine to lean on the side of consumers.
Sorry to be a hard ass, but I feel your description isn't accurate neither. It's not "for the average listener" It's for any listener, and it's not "under normal listening condition", It's under any listening condition. It's not a treshold of audibility neither. It says that you can't hear anything below, but it doesn't say you can hear above. Maybe "Threshold of proven inaudibility"?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Hum. Seems like I imagined it. :confused:

Specs from @Audiophonics also say "Roon Bridge", which I assume act the same as "Roon Endpoint"...
Roon bridge should be fine. For DSD direct mode it needs to be in fixed volume mode anyway.

And it supports the NAA protocol. So great for HQPlayer.

I would always use a pre-amp/headphone amp with R2R volume control anyway instead of the DAC Volume.

A Raspberry pi 4 would probably be better as streamer.

No idea if the XMOS 216 Vs 316 makes much of a difference?

It checks all the audiophile boxes with that powersupply, the big spacious chassis . And it measures well.

I like it. But really a bit pricey for a DAC.

Top Bottom