• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pyle PT8000CH Multichannel Amplifier Teardown

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I recently reviewed the Pyle PT8000CH ultra low-cost multichannel/distribution amplifier. This is a follow up teardown to see if we can figure out how they can sell it so cheap.

Let's start with the overview shot of the insides:
Pyle PT8000CH multichannel distribution amplifier teardown pictures.jpg

The architecture is pretty straightforward. Each large toroidal transformer provides low and high voltage feeds for its corresponding 4 channels of amplification. The amplifier topology is class AB. Large array of beefy transistors on the heatsink tell us that among many other clues. As noted though, I could not find any marking on the transistors. They seem new though so not pulled out of old electronics.

While not ultra neat, the wiring seems fine with proper grounding and such. Use of a PCB and signal routing on the right PCB helps with keeping the number of wires and connectors lower.

Let's zoom into the amplifier module itself:
Pyle PT8000CH multichannel distribution amplifier teardown main amplifier pictures.jpg

The amplifier is discrete with the front-end on the vertical PC Boards. I see a couple of ICs on top right. They may be a buffer stage.

The extruded aluminum is beefy which is much more than I can say about multichannel amplifiers in typical AV Receivers. The fan as you see is positioned in front of it and only covers half the width. Still, even if the fan runs slow, it will provide far more than pure convection cooling. This is a very clever design in my view. Use enough heatsinking to be adequate and then use the fan to amplifier its effect.

The brand on the power supply caps is "cap cop." Needless to say it is a random brand. There is a source of heat (bridge rectifier) next to the one on the left so may not last as long.

Overall, this amp could be priced at $999 and the insides would seem to be fitting for that price.

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
I for one bow in front of our frugal chinese engineering overlords.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Simple 180 rotation of the amp boards to provide 2x the channel count.
??? You mean simply adding a second 4 channels board to provide 8 channels? What do you mean exactly? the channel count is not determined by the orientation? What exactly did you mean to say, that they used optimised positioning to make it fit the chassis? Or that they saved money by using the same PCB instead of a large one or one that would be a mirror instead of the same one?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Even internals are deacent while performance is good enough from 30 W into 8 Ohms up. Seams solid for the caffe shop's and such where you need more chenels and don't really want to think about amplifier nor performance much while you will actually drive speakers little harder and louder than at home. To bad it's not available wider.

Last edited:

JayGilb

Major Contributor
??? You mean simply adding a second 4 channels board to provide 8 channels? What do you mean exactly? the channel count is not determined by the orientation? What exactly did you mean to say, that they used optimised positioning to make it fit the chassis? Or that they saved money by using the same PCB instead of a large one or one that would be a mirror instead of the same one?
Try not to lose any sleep over my comment. The same board could be used in either a 4 or 8 channel chassis and a simple 180 rotation was used in the 8 channel version.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

peniku8

Forum Donor
With vents out of the top and bottom, one will have to pay attention to mounting this properly. Leave at least half a unit of clearance above and below the amp. I hope it includes some feet for when it's not rack mounted!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With vents out of the top and bottom, one will have to pay attention to mounting this properly. Leave at least half a unit of clearance above and below the amp. I hope it includes some feet for when it's not rack mounted!
There are vents on the sides as well.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Really appreciate all this effort and you lugging this heavy beast around multiple times.

peniku8

Forum Donor
There are vents on the sides as well.
Hard to see how tall the heatsinks are, but if they're going from top to bottom, the air sucked in through the fans will have to come out either the top or the bottom, since the fans are pressed right against them. There doesn't seem to be that much room for the air to go anywhere else and I doubt these are static pressure optimized fans which would push the air through the smallest gaps :D

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Great teardown! Better than expected at the sale price. I wonder about unbranded transistors. Are they to be considered 2nd tier, B-stock and therefore not worth the brand mark? Should we expect wider variations of specs between amps than typical?

Thank you Amir for a great look into the anatomy and histology of this decently performing power amp!

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for the analysis of the internals and they the get a passing mark. I’d hate to see money saved at the expense of the safety of the consumer.

Reactions: pdb

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are all those black wires the speaker output wires?

Top Bottom