• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Velvet (AKM 4499EX)

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
how do you compare this to the D90SE DAC?
There is absolutely no difference whatsoever between these DAC's... only points to compare are features, build quality, price and aesthetics.

JSmith

MadMaxx

Hi, I am interested in getting a E70 Velvet DAC. I currently have a Topping D90SE DAC. What is your opinion on this E70 velvet and how do you compare this to the D90SE DAC? Thanks.
D90SE: bigger/heavier, buttons for volume/functions, ESS9038 Pro, $800
E70V: rotary knob for volume/functions, AKM4499EX, $450

I like the E70V's audio and, especially, it's price compared to "flagship" dacs. However, wouldn't bother getting the E70V if I already had any version of the D90. Your dog might hear differences in audio between the two dacs, but I doubt many humans would notice.

Last edited:

DdEviL

Hi, I am interested in getting a E70 Velvet DAC. I currently have a Topping D90SE DAC. What is your opinion on this E70 velvet and how do you compare this to the D90SE DAC? Thanks.
Had both DACs and prefer D90SE…

If you are going to use it has DAC the differences are minor although I slightly prefer the way that AKM handles the top end. However if you are going to use the preamp function I did not like the E70V because the sound is very hard/agressive while being very flat.

Tonjen

I wonder if Ak4499ex's "velvet sound technology" really is an integrated r2r technique. It is described as "switched resistor technology" in various places.
At e.g www.audioexpress.com I found this
"The AK4499EXEQ solution offers a stereo premium D/A conversion stage based on Switched Resistor DAC method employing AKM's Velvet Sound technology. The design uses the company's latest high-quality approach that explores completely separate digital/analog signal processing to achieve a completely transparent and realistic experience that breaks down the perception barriers of digital and analog audio"

Last edited:

Ellie

I wonder if Ak4499ex's "velvet sound technology" really is an integrated r2r technique. It is described as "switched resistor technology" in various places.
At e.g www.audioexpress.com I found this
"The AK4499EXEQ solution offers a stereo premium D/A conversion stage based on Switched Resistor DAC method employing AKM's Velvet Sound technology. The design uses the company's latest high-quality approach that explores completely separate digital/analog signal processing to achieve a completely transparent and realistic experience that breaks down the perception barriers of digital and analog audio"
I'm not sure if you know this, but all Delta-Sigma DACs use a resistor-ladder technique. They do so at a lower resolution, usually between 2-6 bits, and then shape the signal afterward to resemble the original signal's resolution via filtration techniques.

This is done extremely accurately these days, and it generally recreates the original signal in analog with no audible distortion. Which makes me wonder if AKM really does have some kind of secret sauce, or it's marketing nonsense designed to appeal to uninformed audiophiles who don't understand audio. I'm hoping it's a bit of both.

Tonjen

I'm not sure if you know this, but all Delta-Sigma DACs use a resistor-ladder technique. They do so at a lower resolution, usually between 2-6 bits, and then shape the signal afterward to resemble the original signal's resolution via filtration techniques.

This is done extremely accurately these days, and it generally recreates the original signal in analog with no audible distortion. Which makes me wonder if AKM really does have some kind of secret sauce, or it's marketing nonsense designed to appeal to uninformed audiophiles who don't understand audio. I'm hoping it's a bit of both.
No I didn't know that, thank you for entlightening me.

Last edited:

bogi

All?? You probably mean segment DACs, but out of currently used chips I know only about Burr-Brown chips using that technique.

For example Burr Brown DSD1793 uses delta sigma DAC for the lower 18 bits and PCM DAC for the top 6 bits.

Delta sigma chips of ESS, AKM are not segmented. They apply interpolation (oversampling) to all 32 bits of input data, then delta sigma modulation and low pass filtering.

Last edited:

bogi

No I didn't know that, thank you for entlightening me.

He did not enlighten you. He dezinformed you.

AK4499* uses switched resistor circuit to convert delta sigma modulated signal to analog.

All 32 bits are input of delta sigma modulator. Modulator output is no more PCM - it is thermometer code type of signal - not binary weighted signal. Such a non PCM signal becomes then input of switched resistor DAC.

DAC chips from other manufacturers (Cirrus Logic, Wolfson) are using switched capacitor DAC to convert delta sigma modulated digital signal to analog.

That's different from how ladder DACs operate - their input is PCM (binary weighted) signal.

One needs to distinguish the term DAC used in different contexts. DAC as a complete device, DAC chip in DAC device and switched resistor DACs used within delta sigma type of DAC chip.

I did not find AK4499EX datasheet but AK4499 is also switched resistor DAC. https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/AKM Semiconductor Inc. PDFs/AK4499_Feb2019.pdf
Find delta sigma modulator (operating on all PCM bits) and switched resistor (SR) DACs on the picture:

1675270178590.png

Only unaltered DSD data in direct DSD mode (DSDD bit "1", no volume control) skips delta sigma modulator and comes directly to switched resistor DAC because DSD is already delta sigma modulated (non PCM) signal.

Last edited:

robertospeed

filter.png

This is the answer that Topping for the DSD filters of the Topping E70 Velvet gave me:

Hi,

We have investigated clearly, is the preparation of the manual colleagues made a mistake, resulting in the manual is wrongly written, DSD filter only one, and not two as written in the manual.
Thank you very much for your feedback, we will arrange to amend the manual as soon as possible!

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Best Regards

Hi,

Yes, you are right. DSD filter is only a fixed one, can not switch to choose, so there will be no DSD filter settings in the settings menu, when playing DSD press the remote filter button (FIR) will not respond, because there is only one DSD filter, does not provide a choice.

If you need it, I will send you the new manual when it comes out, but it is not much different from the previous one, only the DSD filter settings have been deleted.

Best Regards

For me the Topping E70 Velvet sounds very good and works very well and I have tried it with any type of audio file, and when switching frequencies there is no crackle, sadly Topping wrote the wrong manual on filters DSD, which would have been 2 filters, while it is only one and it is fixed.
Topping unfortunately did not notice this error and I made it clear to us through an email , and these you read above were the answers that Topping gave me .

Saponetto

The quality of Topp's user manuals seems to going to become soon an object of QA analisys team, imho.
Same level of incongruences found within the M50 one.

Tilata

Are you sure it has problems? then I also return it and buy the Gustard x18
The X18's sound signature is very different from the D300 or E70V. It is great DAC for electronic and pop music with good separation and a bit more oomph. The sound stage is simlar to the E70V. I own the X18 & E70V & D300. I like them all.

The D300 is a bit unique/niche and great for long listening sessions and instrumental/classical (Dirk Maassen)music. It has a great sound stage, good separation and the "softness" often associated with AK, but does it in a detailed and airy way, which I really like.
The X18 is a great overall DAC for general listening and Tidal/MQA. I think it is great for French electric (Justice) music female vocals (Yebba) and soundtracks.
The E70V - my latest addition - bridges the gap between the two above, combining a bit of softness with good bass. I think it will be the best for Jazz/Blues.
Being honest I am not being blown away by the E70V. I mainly bought it for aesthetic reasons as I bough the L70 (great amp).
I like them all, but if I had to choose which one should I take to a week long solo lighthouse stay, I would go with the D300 without doubt.

kopczas

I'm talking about the Topping E70 Velvet, that the 2 filters don't work when I listen to DSD natively
You mean cutoff filters at frequencies you wouldn`t hear anyway? Moreover measurements show that cutoff limit is set far lower than E70`s user manual suggests.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
You mean cutoff filters at frequencies you wouldn`t hear anyway? Moreover measurements show that cutoff limit is set far lower than E70`s user manual suggests.

DSD64 has a cut-off frequency of 19khz.. that's extremely low. But

DSD 128 has 38khz , DSD 256 has 76khz.

So simple solution... upsample In software (roon, HQPlayer) to DSD128/256.

But still a design flaw.

SACD players used to have cutoff frequencies as well. As low as 18-22khz where not uncommon.

My SMSL D300 has 3 cut-off frequencies.. highest one I believe is 52khz

robertospeed

I have an e70 velvet topping, I have time to return it until February 22nd, I would like to try an SMSL D300, do you think I should return the E70 Velvet and buy the D300? Have you tried the D300 with any audio file to see how it goes? if there are crackles or other various defects?

Top Bottom