• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Linn Akurate DSM DAC/Streamer

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Other than that I have heard no SQ differences with firmware or model, though that could be expectation bias since there is nothing changing which would change SQ, usually the updates add functions or re-map the amp to give more peak power.

I heard FW 7.x and 8.x in sequence on the same BW 803 at one reseller and, at the time, 8.x sounded really different to me. But, yes, tons of possible biases, unfamiliar environment, limited listening time, some options lost (?), etc... Highly subjective. I guess I did not want to go full speed into something that was still relatively new at the time. I'll probably end up getting one at some point though.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
M class S are really silent, double laminated glass I think. but I was thinking more of the pleasure to drive one, otherwise a Toyota is all you need..

Only the windscreens are laminated glass. Not the windows. Unless of course its an up-armoured version that has bulletproof implementations.
Besides, double laminated glass doesn't really reduce noise by much unless its super thick.

I think you're referring to "double-glazed" glass use in houses for heat and sound insulation.

I have a Merc, Ferrari and a Toyota. The Ferrari is a pleasure to drive but I mainly use the Toyota...

A friend loves his Lambo Gallardo, its his "indulgence" as he puts it. But on his day to day use cycle, he drives his Range Rover Evoke as he says its so much more usable for everything else except the driving part.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you're referring to "double-glazed" glass use in houses for heat and sound insulation.
he drives his Range Rover Evoke as he says its so much more usable for everything else except the driving part.
Some of the Merc S-class models do have double glazed side windows.
I am not a fan of so-called SUVs which tend to be neither sporty nor utility even though they are vehicles! I spent my life in racing cars where light and aerodynamic are essential for performance, SUVs are never either of these so are anathema to me, as are all the VW based “sports” cars which are all much too heavy because of the driveline. You can get the acceleration and top speed on a heavy car with lots of power but the cornering and braking will always be substandard.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
He says the Evoke steers like a barge compared to the Gallardo .... :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That would be spectacularly dishonest, surely?
Well, it is not that bad to the extent a manufacturer misstates performance specs. So I can see if someone really wants to own a device, takes advantage of my testing/evaluation during the refund period.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, it is not that bad to the extent a manufacturer misstates performance specs. So I can see if someone really wants to own a device, takes advantage of my testing/evaluation during the refund period.
But I understood the suggestion to be that you bought it, measured it then returned it for a refund, having never intended to keep it.
Maybe not illegal but certainly dishonest from my moral standpoint.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably! Anything that high and heavy would.
A colleague had a Range Rover and asked me to drive it back from the airport once.
It felt like it might fall over at any moment :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But I understood the suggestion to be that you bought it, measured it then returned it for a refund, having never intended to keep it.
Maybe not illegal but certainly dishonest from my moral standpoint.
I guess that is what he said. :) It is for that reason that I don't do it but want to make sure it is clear that it is fine if someone genuinely wants to own something.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I heard FW 7.x and 8.x in sequence on the same BW 803 at one reseller and, at the time, 8.x sounded really different to me. But, yes, tons of possible biases, unfamiliar environment, limited listening time, some options lost (?), etc... Highly subjective. I guess I did not want to go full speed into something that was still relatively new at the time. I'll probably end up getting one at some point though.
Might try a comparison, I have all the firmware files stored, though usually when I am going to do a SQ comparison I end up just enjoying the music and forgetting the comparison...

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
$250 "blows out" $10,000. Incredible.
Where else but in in the high-end audio industry/hobby can something like that happen.
Amir and ASR cohorts deserve so much credit for shedding this light for all to see and learn.

I've noticed myself several times that a simple and minimalist design (sometimes just a copy-paste from the datasheet) and good attention to the PCB layout combined with USB powered DAC or some decent linear regulators inside will measure better than a complex design.

akurate-dsm-1-linn.jpg

vs.

topping-d50-dac-es9038q2m-x2-32bit768khz-dsd512-xmos-u208-black.jpg

Of course, comparing only the DAC feature then D50 wins, based on measurements only, but checking all the features per total, we realize that Linn DSM is a much more complete audio device (more close than Oppo Sonica than Topping D50, but still more features):

https://www.linn.co.uk/sources/network-music-players/akurate#comparison-table vs. http://en.tpdz.net/products_detail/productId=37.html.

HairyEars

It is just a matter of time ...
They (the Chinese manufacturers ...) are entering the high-end market as well ...
With the 60 million millionaire potential customers in mainland China (as per 2017's statistic), the most important Chinese brands are putting into the market premium electronics with RRP well over the thousand of $ ...
How long will it take to bring some of these premium electronics into the western markets ?
One year ? Two years at the most ... ? :facepalm:

You're correct, but your timing is wrong. The Chiness are already deep in the woods; see AURALIC and Lumin.

I used to view Chiness products as crap, with enough bad experience to support my position, but I'm starting to believe they can now compete head to head with the TOL western gear. From first hand experience, the Vega G2 and Aries G2 are both brilliant.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
You're correct, but your timing is wrong. The Chiness are already deep in the woods; see AURALIC and Lumin.

I used to view Chiness products as crap, with enough bad experience to support my position, but I'm starting to believe they can now compete head to head with the TOL western gear. From first hand experience, the Vega G2 and Aries G2 are both brilliant.

Why do we need Chinese products that are more expensive than Western products?

D

Deleted member 4360

I can't comment on the costs but when you are competing with product on this level, you NEED to have the support component as most of the high end market is less price sensitive and requires North American support. I have a friend (don't we all) who puts Linn into high end homes and the last thing he's going to deal with is shipping product back to China for repair. Once that is solved, many of these products could be very competitive. However, companies like JDS have shown that they can compete too... with fantastic support.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I can't comment on the costs but when you are competing with product on this level, you NEED to have the support component as most of the high end market is less price sensitive and requires North American support. I have a friend (don't we all) who puts Linn into high end homes and the last thing he's going to deal with is shipping product back to China for repair. Once that is solved, many of these products could be very competitive. However, companies like JDS have shown that they can compete too... with fantastic support.

The saying «to carry coals to Newcastle» comes to mind.

I don’t see the point in paying $5000 for a dac from a company (Auralic) on the other side of the world that cannot even update its web site.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Might try a comparison, I have all the firmware files stored, though usually when I am going to do a SQ comparison I end up just enjoying the music and forgetting the comparison...
I've not noticed a difference either, so I wouldn't be bother. Any company that really did improve the sound quality with a firmware change would shout about it, Devialet could well be the shoutiest of such companies.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the evoke turned in like the lambo it would fall over, I don't see this as a bad thing, 2 completely different cars makes a lot of sense.

HairyEars

Please point out one high-end western based pure streamer that's more than a Roon end-point. Only Pink Faun comes to mind, and it's a super muscled raspberry pi at day's end.

The Vega G2 goes toe to toe with those British DAC/Streamers. Noticed the price difference?

HairyEars

AURALIC has a North American presence. I believe you deal with them directly. For me, being based in Thailand, shipping ouf to the UK or China makes no difference.

HairyEars

The saying «to carry coals to Newcastle» comes to mind.

I don’t see the point in paying $5000 for a dac from a company (Auralic) on the other side of the world that cannot even update its web site.

Sorry, I see no points paying $10,000 to $20,000 for a DAC that's described only in adjectives and vague terms. See Linn and Naim websites.

snip3r77

$250 "blows out" $10,000. Incredible.
Where else but in in the high-end audio industry/hobby can something like that happen.
Amir and ASR cohorts deserve so much credit for shedding this light for all to see and learn.

I think it's worth noting that this device is more than a Topping D50 in that it's not meant to be just a dac. I agree 100% that it's very highly priced given the performance but I also don't know what one should pay for this feature set. So I don't feel it's 100% fair to compare to a standard desktop dac.

Headphonaholic is right. More features for the Linn

Top Bottom