• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Linn Akurate DSM DAC/Streamer

Rthomas

Forum Donor
Hi Amir,

Any chance of you reviewing these 2 pro audio DACS?

1. Dangerous Music Convert 2
2. Crane Song Solaris

The companies seems to be revered in the pro audio world which is a good sign I guess but I'd love to see some independent measurements.

Thanks!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi Amir,

Any chance of you reviewing these 2 pro audio DACS?

1. Dangerous Music Convert 2
2. Crane Song Solaris

The companies seems to be revered in the pro audio world which is a good sign I guess but I'd love to see some independent measurements.

Thanks!
I am at mercy of members offering them for loan. Maybe contact the companies and see if they will send me one for review.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Quite frankly, I don't see what is the semantics of the back and forth about Linn and say a Topping.

Performance as a DAC wise, they are both within a hair of each other and don't really matter in the grand scheme of listening on a complete system.
The Linn is obviously a very well made product, plenty of nice add-ons and functions, with a long and much vaunted reputation. Topping in comparison is a straight to the point product, performs well and fantastic value.

If you guys really want to compare them analogously to cars, probably a Toyota Camry versus a entry-level Rolls Royce Cullinan.

On the road driving, they are within a hair's breadth of each other . The Camry being a bit more nimble. The Cullinan having loads of bells and whistles and that off-road option. And that prestige of the badge, not to mention the luxury fittings et al. And price wise, they are fairly comparable in ratio too.

We all know the mindset behind buying a Camry, and we know what's the mindset behind going for a Rolls too.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure I bought the Linn in a Rolls mindset ;) and I am quite a bit far from that mindset in the rest of my life as well. What I purchased was a Linn preamp / amp combo (Akurate DSM + Akurate 2200) for around 10.000 EUR - a bit below list price at the time, I guess my reseller see enough business potential in me to be "nice". That's probably significantly lower than what the same combination would cost in the US currently, but I did also pay around 2000 EUR for the board upgrade last year. I also considered McIntosh, but in that case, the European prices were very significantly above US prices. I would not pay the US list price today for that DSM.

My main goal back then was to have a decent and reliable Amp/Preamp combo. Streaming, DAC, HDMI, Phono were secondary but welcome (I owned a bunch of other cheap and not so cheap stuff already). I considered and listened to Devialet (discarded because the single box approach would not make much sense for future eventual power amps upgrades, listening tests varied between firmwares!), McIntosh (ultimately would have been more expensive than Linn), Naim (lots of reliability issues reported on the net), audiophile line of Marantz (unsure about them), NAD (the big digital amps weren't yet released back then), Audio Analogue, Audio Research (could not deliver bass into the Gyia G3 for some reason) and finally settled on the DSM as an apparently reliable and polyvalent preamp/dac/streamer and the Linn amp as a supposedly ideally matched power stage. To some extent, my options were also limited by what I could see and hear locally. I guess I could have gone for something like a nice integrated and a combination of (cheaper but well performing) bits and pieces, possibly for half the price, yes, but that would have meant a less clear upgrade path and tons of plugs and/or power bricks.

Incidentally I would love to see Amir test the Linn power amplifier too. Just out of curiosity.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Incidentally I would love to see Amir test the Linn power amplifier too. Just out of curiosity.
None has been offered for testing but you mentioned McIntosh and one of their massive amps (450 watts/channel) is being offered for testing by the owner of this Linn unit. I have postponed it for now to next month to dig out large amount of gear left to review this month. :)

edd9000

I got to try a Linn Majik DSM and the Majik Exaktbox to have a try of the active crossover in my system. It was very impressive.

Rthomas

Forum Donor
I am at mercy of members offering them for loan. Maybe contact the companies and see if they will send me one for review.

Hi Amir,

I'm happy to contact them on your behalf but I doubt I'd get a a response...

Are you against the idea of buying from a store with a generous return policy like Sweetwater and sending it back after measurements?

I'd be happy to assist with this as well but living in the UK complicates things :D

sonci

If you hide the brands and match the levels, you won't be able to tell the difference. But since you already "know" that 10,000 dollars has to be better than 250, it's a done deal. This has been proven so many times as to make the argument risible.
I haven't heard the exact Topping but Linn streamers are the only one that sound the same or better than good standalone cd players.,
M class S are really silent, double laminated glass I think. but I was thinking more of the pleasure to drive one, otherwise a Toyota is all you need..

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Are you against the idea of buying from a store with a generous return policy like Sweetwater and sending it back after measurements?
Yes. Very much so. I don't even do that with Amazon unless the tested unit is flat out broken. It is one of those personal rules I have set for myself.

That said, members have done that and then, I don't have any problem testing them and returning the unit during return period.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice to see a high end unit that is well engineered, although it speaks volumes about the world of hi-fi that such a comment should ever be necessary.

On the fact that the DAC doesn't measure spectacularly well (though it is certainly competent and well beyond the point of audible transparency) will be irrelevant for normal listening.

The price is expensive, but there is a micro-world of high end audio which would probably wax lyrical about this offering splendid value for money and its affordability. Really, when you get to this sort of gear the price is not really an issue as to use the old cliché - if you need to ask the price you probably can't afford it and at that point it's not about sound quality but about luxury build, making a statement and pleasure of ownership.

I saw this quote on the BBC website earlier today from a watch manufacturer:

But, just as Hermes is establishing itself as a serious watch player, does Mr Dordet think smartwatches threaten the mechanical industry?

"Absolutely not. Smartwatches are cold, functional objects," he says.

"Fine watches are an experience, a jewel, a luxury, an emotion," he adds. "One thing we are all sure of [at SIHH] is that people don't buy watches any more to see what time it is."

At least there is an honesty in the world of watchmaking, has anybody ever seen the following said by a hi-fi producer?:

"Fine hi-fi is an experience, a jewel, a luxury, an emotion," he adds. "One thing we are all sure of at [insert name of high end hi-fi manufacturer] is that people don't buy our gear for the sound quality."

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Nice to see a high end unit that is well engineered, although it speaks volumes about the world of hi-fi that such a comment should ever be necessary.

On the fact that the DAC doesn't measure spectacularly well (though it is certainly competent and well beyond the point of audible transparency) will be irrelevant for normal listening.

The price is expensive, but there is a micro-world of high end audio which would probably wax lyrical about this offering splendid value for money and its affordability. Really, when you get to this sort of gear the price is not really an issue as to use the old cliché - if you need to ask the price you probably can't afford it and at that point it's not about sound quality but about luxury build, making a statement and pleasure of ownership.

But, just as Hermes is establishing itself as a serious watch player, does Mr Dordet think smartwatches threaten the mechanical industry?

"Fine watches are an experience, a jewel, a luxury, an emotion," he adds. "One thing we are all sure of [at SIHH] is that people don't buy watches any more to see what time it is."

At least there is an honesty in the world of watchmaking, has anybody ever seen the following said by a hi-fi producer?:

"Fine hi-fi is an experience, a jewel, a luxury, an emotion," he adds. "One thing we are all sure of at [insert name of high end hi-fi manufacturer] is that people don't buy our gear for the sound quality."

Nice quote!

graz_lag

Major Contributor
It is just a matter of time ...
They (the Chinese manufacturers ...) are entering the high-end market as well ...
With the 60 million millionaire potential customers in mainland China (as per 2017's statistic), the most important Chinese brands are putting into the market premium electronics with RRP well over the thousand of $ ...
How long will it take to bring some of these premium electronics into the western markets ?
One year ? Two years at the most ... ? :facepalm:

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
With the 60 million billionaires potential customers

Huh?

60,000,000 x $1,000,000,000 = $ 60,000,000,000,000,000 (60 quadrillion)

"The total wealth of the world in 2015 was estimated to be $250 trillion dollars by Credit Suisse in their annual global wealth report. "

"But while the United States continues to be the country with the single greatest number of billionaires - 565 of them - China is catching up with 319.
The Asia-Pacific accounts for the most billionaires as a region - 720 of them."
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...st-mainland-chinese-make-up-greatest--8582612

Last edited:

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Huh?

60,000,000 x $1,000,000,000 = $ 60,000,000,000,000,000 (60 quadrillion)

"The total wealth of the world in 2015 was estimated to be $250 trillion dollars by Credit Suisse in their annual global wealth report. "

I apologize ...60,000,000 millionaire fellows ... already edited the post ...
Thank you !!!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Huh?

According to Credit Suisse's new Global Wealth Report 2017, there are now 36 million millionaires in the world -- a 170% jump in total numbers from the year 2000. Together, these millionaires hold as much wealth as 46% of the population.

https://www.inc.com/business-inside...-credit-suisse-global-wealth-report-2017.html

In what currency? 1 MM in Chinese Yuan is roughly $147518 (as of when I checked the exchange rate). Article seems to indicate USD without being explicit about it. Even then, 60 million millionaires is a lot :)

Headphonaholic

Wow, can't like this enough. Same is true for basically every kind of product, even our beloved cars. I think as with any hobby if it's something you enjoy you are more willing to spend more money. Some people are utilitarians and can't justify it which is fine but for others with the means, it's all about the enjoyment.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I considered and listened to Devialet (discarded because the single box approach would not make much sense for future eventual power amps upgrades, listening tests varied between firmwares!)
I understand why a Devialet wouldn’t be a good choice of preamp/DAC, a bad one even since IME the integration of the power amp and its superb performance is the main reason to buy one, I am not aware of a relevantly better measuring amp being available.
OTOH whilst there has been chat on the subjective web sites about sound differences between firmware I have used all of them from, I think v3.5, up to v12.3 the only time I heard a difference in firmware was one early update which affected the timing between the two amps if one was using 2 in dual mono (at a time when there were probably fewer than 20 people doing so) which ruined the stereo image on recordings with good stereo. It was quickly fixed.
Other than that I have heard no SQ differences with firmware or model, though that could be expectation bias since there is nothing changing which would change SQ, usually the updates add functions or re-map the amp to give more peak power.

I repeat that I do understand that using a Devialet with separate power amp is daft though!

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
M class S are really silent, double laminated glass I think. but I was thinking more of the pleasure to drive one, otherwise a Toyota is all you need..
I have a Merc, Ferrari and a Toyota. The Ferrari is a pleasure to drive but I mainly use the Toyota...

Top Bottom