• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Whats up with this?…..perfect dac sounds inferior allthough math says otherwise..

Sokel

Master Contributor
The video is garbage as 'proof' of anything. We've explained why. No need to keep wondering.
It's not only level,D400 seems of the charts there.
Do we have the original song chart?

Reactions: MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
Clear but ofcourse very minimal. But enough to make me wonder what the hEck..
I wonder about the reviewer and video more than anything. Aside from the level matching issue, seems they played different samples.:mad: And, I wonder if the person in the video made these devices sound different to prove a point. I have a hard time giving the reviewer the benefit of the doubt.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder about the reviewer and video more than anything. Aside from the level matching issue, seems they played different samples.:mad: And, I wonder if the person in the video made these devices sound different to prove a point. I have a hard time giving the reviewer the benefit of the doubt.
Wait...we're doubting the integrity of random internet posters?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Although it may be sheerest incompetence.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The sad thing is, a lot of people probably were fooled by this "test". There's a tendency to simply trust people.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Doesn't seem to be a different version...something else is at play here.

OP
O

Oukkidoukki

This could be pretty good (but dishonest) marketing. Hard to believe though, but who knows. I have couple of dacs and I tend to hear difference in those. Other one is 15 years old though, so the slight raise in distortion I hear might be real.

Sokel

Master Contributor
are we still looking for ‘something else’ to explain a difference where there is an obvious error in the levels of the two recordings?
It's not only level,waveform is different in the chart,some freqs are way more pronounced (around 1Khz and higher),is this only cause of level?

Edit: It's -8db lower there and before and after it's dancing disproportionately.

Last edited:
OP
O

Oukkidoukki

And why he changed camera position? I tell him to make new video.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not only level,waveform is different in the chart,some freqs are way more pronounced (around 1Khz and higher),is this only cause of level?
Room reflections, different mic position, where the person stood during the two recordings, all can contribute to differences. There are too many issues with the video and how it was made. No need to speculate. It's just badly done.

OP
O

Oukkidoukki

What is your interest in this guy and his video particularly?
Nothing particularly. I just happened to see it when I seeked info about d400. Thought I heard difference and wanted to hear community opinion. Consensus seems to be cant trust youtube and so on.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing particularly. I just happened to see it when I seeked info about d400. Thought I heard difference and wanted to hear community opinion. Consensus seems to be cant trust youtube and soon.
There's only a coupla guys making videos about audio I'd bother with, Amir here at ASR, Erin's Audio Corner and Audioholics.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

So our perfect ( math) dac M400 in the video sounds clearly darker or should I say muffled than d400ex. Was up with this? Didn’t the numbers say there can’t be difference?
Where’s the math?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Room reflections, different mic position, where the person stood during the two recordings, all can contribute to differences. There are too many issues with the video and how it was made. No need to speculate. It's just badly done.
Nevertheless I found the chance to use DeltaWave :p
They are no where near.

both.PNG

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nevertheless I found the chance to use DeltaWave :p
They are no where near.

View attachment 248428
Not sure what you did :) FFT Scrubber shows 400ms intervals at a time, and you need to move the selector along the time line to see other parts of the recording. You're just showing the first 400 milliseconds.

Here's what I get for about 30 seconds.

Before any gain/delay compensation:
1670446219504.png

1670446242548.png

And after:

1670446354435.png

Top Bottom