• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Breathing

I've noticed wearing iems or most any earbuds that I can hear myself breath pretty loudly. I can also hear the slightest rubbing of the chord against clothing. Is there a quantification for what these types of noises would represent in THDN? Would it be over 100% since depending on the product, the ruffling chord noise can be as loud as the music playing when it happens, even breathing is pretty loud.

OP
Y
Right Amir, I'm not asking if that's part of your current measurements, my question is IF THEY WERE, what would be the % quantification of THDN, because I noticed these "microphonics" get as loud/louder than the music itself, if I get a particularly strong rub of the chord on my shoulder, or if I take a loud deep breath. Even normal breaths are quite loud depending on the fixture/device, especially with in ear.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Right Amir, I'm not asking if that's part of your current measurements, my question is IF THEY WERE, what would be the % quantification of THDN, because I noticed these "microphonics" get as loud/louder than the music itself, if I get a particularly strong rub of the chord on my shoulder, or if I take a loud deep breath. Even normal breaths are quite loud depending on the fixture/device, especially with in ear.

They DO NOT show up on measurements because the perception you get is through a phenomenon called "bone conduction" when you perceive cable microphonics

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've noticed wearing iems or most any earbuds that I can hear myself breath pretty loudly. I can also hear the slightest rubbing of the chord against clothing. Is there a quantification for what these types of noises would represent

It is probably measurable one way or another. You can easily see how talking or physically interfering with headphones (cable for example) results in an altered noise floor when measuring them, particularly for headphones with a stronger occlusion effect.

Most active headphones with a feedback ANC mechanism will be able to reduce that effect (one of their most significant advantages over passive closed headphones or IEMs IMO).

OP
Y
The solution is simple, stop breathing and don't move.
I can't, I have adhd, and a mild will to live. :cool:

They DO NOT show up on measurements because the perception you get is through a phenomenon called "bone conduction" when you perceive cable microphonics
Does that mean, we should actually be developing a new head measurement to take bone conduction into account.
In Amir's reviews, he says things like noise dominant and distortion dominant when reporting sinad. This bone conduction issue is a very loud category of noise. It should be taken into account no? Since it's omnipresent in all headphones/iems to a great extent.

Does Amir review wireless earbuds ?

Most active headphones with a feedback ANC mechanism will be able to reduce that effect (one of their most significant advantages over passive closed headphones or IEMs IMO).
Does the anc solve the bone conduction issue raised by majingotan?

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
If you send your skull to Amir…
Keith

threni

Major Contributor

Does that mean, we should actually be developing a new head measurement to take bone conduction into account.
In Amir's reviews, he says things like noise dominant and distortion dominant when reporting sinad. This bone conduction issue is a very loud category of noise. It should be taken into account no? Since it's omnipresent in all headphones/iems to a great extent.

Maybe Amir could construct fake anlmatronic hands which could perform repeatable, deterministic levels of fiddling with the cables during testing to get another metric, maybe in different sizes.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've noticed wearing iems or most any earbuds that I can hear myself breath pretty loudly. I can also hear the slightest rubbing of the chord against clothing. Is there a quantification for what these types of noises would represent in THDN? Would it be over 100% since depending on the product, the ruffling chord noise can be as loud as the music playing when it happens, even breathing is pretty loud.
don't think there is anything to measure here.
The "loud breathing" is a normal effect of earbuds, particularly if they go deep into your ears and isolate very well. And it's not only breathing that gets 'amplified' but all your body noises: heart/pulse/swallow/stomach/etc.. Some people even pretend that they can hear their blood flow. Anyway, not much you can do about that, either get used to it or buy earbuds with less isolation.

And the "chord rubbing" means that you need a cable with better isolation. The braided ones are usually good.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The trick is to quit breathing...

Leiker535

If testing goes all right with neuralink, soon enough you'll be able to insert a chip and play music directly to your brain, distortionless, don't fret.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I don't know whether bone conduction is significantly involved or not, but ANC headphones with a feedback mechanism are indeed quite effective to reduce that phenomenon.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Simpler to just line the inside with Sorbothane.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom