• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Welcome New Members to ASR, introduce yourself here.

animalelder

Hello from Nevada USA. I love reading discussions on ASR. I have interests in many areas of audio and sound: headphones, speakers, amps, ADC talk, all kinds of amplifiers, music production, and more. I’ve never posted before, so I thought that this thread could be a useful first step.

I am going to continue to read quietly. Thanks!

Réidh

Patrick Réidh here thinking to say hello; being more and more appreciative after a few years of regularly visiting.

Not thinking I will have much to contribute beyond a variously similar background appreciation - along with the feeling of being a bit like a personified audiophile mechanism in for repair.

Anywho like my father before me, I am indeed an audiophile that checks specifications before
committing to a purchase while nevertheless experiencing subjectively manifested quirks of the far from resolved kind. Most of which my father thought was better kept to oneself, naturally.

Last edited:

delfuego

Hola! New member here. Read quite a bit on ASR, more confused than when I started. I do love music and am kind of a snob about it. I followed some of the advice and recommendations here and picked up some gear I thought would be good. We will see how it turns out. Records, tapes and cd's are all gone all digital for me. I do however have a digital collection that goes back to the wild west days of the internet.

tgrauss

Hello,
I am from France. I am building my audio system doing my own electronic design, mostly in the digital domain, and buying other parts from kits.
I like objectively good hardware as a transparent system (hence which has good specs). I want to listen to music, not to a manufacturer sound signature.

deathwish

Hi all,
I'm been into stereo gear since I was a teenager, courtesy of access to a Stereophile subscription and a desire for my music to sound good when I cranked it up. Fortunately, as my critical thinking skills have always been pretty strong, when I eventually got enough space and money to buy good kit I picked "transparent" (read: measured well) components that haven't given me trouble. And then I didn't pay attention to audio gear for the better part of a decade, I have plenty of other gearhead hobbies to consume my resources and as a computer programmer "if it ain't broke, don't touch it at all" is an absolute mantra.

But my living situation wasn't static. These changes resulted in the need for another sound system to serve my gym space. I wanted to do it cheaply, both for budgetary reasons and because the acoustics of the space are necessarily awful. Research into today's wonderful abundance of affordable stereo gear led me rapidly to ASR, and hence to components for a very nice sounding little system.

With the new toys, and a backlog of updates and repairs to my main system underway, I expect to have enough observations to repay the help this site has given me thus far. Thanks all!

jseyfert3

I'm a member over at pianoworld.com, recently bought a Kawai MP11SE digital piano keyboard, and as it has no internal speakers at all (not that any internal speakers are any good), I'm currently working on getting a speaker/amp setup.

I found this site while trying to find the manual for a TOPPING L50 headphone amp as another pianoworld member was having issues getting it to work with their keyboard. I recognized what seemed like one of those many generic brands you see for everything, and expected it would be a cheap, terrible product, but searches found this site where it scored near the top of all headphone amps.

Further searching found the TOPPING PA5 is an excellent amp for the price, and I quickly decided that would be the amp I get for my piano setup. Out of curiosity I then searched the Sony STR-DH190, which I had been considering as a possibly amp, and quickly found the review showed it to be absolute garbage. Now I'm curious how my STR-DN1080 7.2 channel surround amp stacks up....

I absolutely love test data like this. My job title is Test Engineer, and especially on car forum oil threads, I hate when people post their opinions about oils and haven't bothered to do any actual testing (it's quite easy to take a sample and send it off to get tested, so you don't even need expensive equipment to get your own oil data from your own tests).

In any case, I'll be sticking around to see what other things I should get, audio-wise.

Ped

Hi all, I've had a couple of days wandering around the forum and it's time to say hello. I'm a fan of good audio but a bit of a gunner as life gets in the way. I see DVDdoug is already here, we met on HA occasionally (it wasn't quite the same without Arnie) On the audio scene I've just taken down my first pair of speakers from the attic which I thought were great some 45 years ago, hmmm the build could have been a bit better Mr Philips. Looking forward to dropping in now and again, great forum.

KJohnM

Hi there,
I'm in Auckland, New Zealand (not far from Australia) and have dipped my toes back into the HiFi world these last couple of months. I last owned a stereo system in the 1980s!
I'm a minimalist by nature and that reflects my approach to equipment. Currently have a bedroom desktop setup (to keep the grandkids out of trouble!). I like a detailed neutral sound. My gear is:
Presonus 3.5 BT Speakers & Sub8 woofer; iFi Zen DAC v2, iFi HipDAC v2; HiFiMan DEVA Pros and Audiofly AF160s . That's all I need! Oh, and a set of hearing aids lol! My source is YouTube music (I've trialed all the others!) through a laptop and iOS devices.
Here for a bit of theory, opinions, suggestions, and to expand my music listening. Not here to discuss cables, Hi-Res, or why Rory Gallagher is the most underrated guitar player lol!

Cheers,

John

Swenap

Hello! Fairly new to audio as a whole, so I'm inexperienced but the journey is learning and fascination for me. Started out with a Modi+Magni 2U + HD650, later upgraded to Topping E50+L50 + HD650. Got fascinated into more vintage gear and restoring them, Onkyo TA-2022 cassette deck, Onkyo T-15 FM/AM tuner, some 80's Walkmans. Then went onto vinyl, Pioneer PL-550(AT-VM95ML) paired with ifi Zen Air Phono, Aiyima A07 and Triangle Borea BR02.

pytor

Hello, my name is Peter, but you can call me by my username as well, USA/Michigan resident. Into any music with a good melody, but mainly rock, pop, and jazz, and do my main listening by IEMs for convenience sake, too impatient to sit a desk to listen to music lol. Favorite urrent/past IEMs include LG Quadbeats, Noble 4, Savannah, Campfire Audio Andomeda Classic and 2020 versions, and my current daily favorite, the Ara. For sources, I just started using the Hidizs S8 and Helm Bolt after using just my iPhone/apple dongle for a long time, have owned/used an LH Geek Out V2+, and occasionally still use a Sony ZX2. Long time lurker, but joined in hopes to increase my breadth of mobile sources/DACs for IEMs while also sharing my own experiences and preferences!

Hi, I'm Charlie. I'm a 65-year-old IT person from NYC but live in Charleston SC. I have tinnitus at a very high frequency. In June, I moved back into my 150-year-old house on the second floor, with 10' ceilings and a bouncy-ish floor. For about 12 years my audio setup was a pair of Audioengine 5 powered speakers. First fed by an old Logitech squeezebox and later just by an Amazon Echo. As the powered speaker's amp started to die out, I started "researching" thinking I could turn those speakers from active to passive and get an external amp, continuing to use my echo as a streamer/DAC. That led me down the YouTube rabbit holes, starting with CheapAudioMan (looking at Chinese amps).

Finally realized it was time to a wholesale replacement, I went further down the rabbit hole of the mixed bag of YouTube reviewers that have been discussed in these forums: Andrew Robinson, Jay, Danny at GR, Joe-in-Tell, Darko, Guttenberg, Paul of PS audio (and his eemians, lol) and Erin. Then I found ASR, Amir and you guys.

I have a small living room (15x15) and purchased a Bluesound Powernode (as I wanted integration into my TV). Then got an SVS PB1000. Speakers were and are the toughest decision. I went with Polk R200's and then bought Elac DBR-62 to compare. Very tough to A/B compare. I just returned the Polk's because, in my space, and with my streamed music I found the high-end on the Polk's just too bright. I am enjoying the Elac's. Now on to tuning the positioning, etc.

I now realize how futile just subjective comparisons are without any measurements and how many other factors contribute to the final sound. These forums have become part of my daily browsing. I tend to talk a lot and over-share, so thanks for putting up with me and any of my newbie questions.

Charlie...

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
IT person
Welcome to ASR. :cool:

the-it-crowd-moss-the-it-crowd.gif

JSmith

Elgrosso

Hello from France, long time reader here but no post until today.
I’ve sent few amps to Amir for testing years ago when I lived in US (Marchaudio/vidar/aegir and few car amps).

I learned audio with caraudio, it was great fun and the high constrains asked for creativity, I loved it.
Now I’ve settled back in France and can focus on home audio.
Current setup is a nude 4 way OB Sbaudience/satori, maybe the 20th version and I’m pretty happy!

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
Finally made the leap and signed up. Have been checking in here for years to learn on various topics. Have been interested in audio reproduction since the early 70’s. Have had a stereo since 1974. My son may still have that Hitachi receiver.

Was planning on venturing into subs and room correction this year and addressing things in my mancave 2 channel room… then Hurricane Ian hung out off the coast and 40” of the Gulf of Mexico visited my home. Needless to say that has altered plans. Lost most everything audio related. Clean sheet to work with though so want to do things right from the get go. Luckily we have flood insurance coverage (including excess) and have our guest cabana above a separate garage/storage building to live in. They’re hanging and taping sheetrock as I write this hello.

Also want to thank @amirm and associates and mods for all the work here creating the great resource the site has become. I followed Amir’s posts on AVS during the HD-DVD vs Blu-ray battle. Was glad to catch up finding his work here.

I’ll be looking into room treatments, new AV electronics and major decisions on speakers for MY room for two channel and room correction options.

Regards,

Scott

evilted

Long time lurker who made extensive use of AudioScience forum reviews & discussion starting a few years ago when I had a lot of free time at home on account of the pandemic. Not actively acquiring much new gear at this point, but I spent a lot of time collecting headphones, dacs and amps for a couple years. Saw something today I wanted to respond to and was surprised to discover that I never registered for an account. Anyway, I'm appreciative for the helpful info and discussions provided by the forum participants over the last few years!

Top Bottom