• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Protection against breaker causing loud noise in speakers?

OP
Lord Victor

Lord Victor

Nothing wrong with a surge protector strip.

But… if the stove top always blows the breaker when water is around, then how important is it to maintain good stereo sound when the breaker blows?
Arguably we would fix the problem causing the surge and the breaker blowing, rather than focus on a cure for what is a known causal mechanism.

I would either replace the stovetop, or take out insurance on the cook.
And maybe also get a surge protector.
Thing is, its not my house, so I'm not at liberty to replace the stove - and its only like once or twice a year or so that something like this might happen. I just don't want to risk it blowing something up. That sound scared me.
Its not about maintaining good stereo sound - its about not blowing up my ten grand investment xD
The system want being listened to at the time, it was just idling because I had been listening a bit earlier and it hadn't auto shut off yet when the fuse blew, if I remember correctly.

This Brennstuhl thing might be a cheap option. Not entirely sure if it does all I'd need.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Sorry if this has been asked before - couldn't find this specific issue.

A bit ago an old stovetop triggered the main breaker in the house, and it caused a loud horrendous noise from my speakers.
Now I'm wondering if there is any way to protect against this sort of thing - I'm unsure what exactly would have caused the sound from my hifi system in the first place, so not sure if a surge protection power strip, filter or anything of the sort would be any use.

Getting something that would protect against lightning strikes and the like would probably not be bad either...
Replace the breaker. If an "all burners on" condition caused the breaker to trip, then it was either underrated or weakened.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I kept looking for a solution to the original issue....
This is part of why I run a gas stove (other than my wife has cooked on gas (gas is both plentiful & cheap here) for all of her cooking (life long), also we can still cook if there is a power outage. (I have the refrigerator on it's own large UPS, at least one LED light in every room is on a smaller UPS, the computer and WiFi are each on their own large UPS, the fan to the Gas/Pack heat & AC is on a large UPS (but not the AC, as my home is shaded & doesn't get stupidly hot even without running the AC, but I will not freeze in the winter as my heat is gas [unless there is an earthquake, in which case I will likely have other problems {there is a road within 20 miles of me with the name 'Fault Line RD}.]). This has proven to work well for at least 2 days of no power company electric power. And the stove cannot spike the electrical system.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thing is, its not my house, so I'm not at liberty to replace the stove - and its only like once or twice a year or so that something like this might happen. I just don't want to risk it blowing something up. That sound scared me.
Its not about maintaining good stereo sound - its about not blowing up my ten grand investment xD
The system want being listened to at the time, it was just idling because I had been listening a bit earlier and it hadn't auto shut off yet when the fuse blew, if I remember correctly.

This Brennstuhl thing might be a cheap option. Not entirely sure if it does all I'd need.

Brennenstuhl is like insurance​

It does nothing (no harm) until it works (if it works as it is supposed to), when it would prevent harm. For the price, I think it's a good deal. If it doesn't work, you did not through away but a small amount of money. If it does work, you saved a great deal of money.
I own my own home, so for you, that may be an issue with the stove.
But for many years I owned a business but not the building it was in. I did not like the cost of operating their AC system and was able to make a deal with them that I would put in my own AC system in my section of the building (and leave it there when I left), while still checking and changing the filters in their system (which would not be operating in my section except for the day that I was doing that once every 6 months. This saved me lots of money (in both power & not having downtime due to issues with their ancient AC system [heat was not ever needed at this location]) over the 4 years that I had my business there.
Perhaps you could do the same with the stove: it may behoove you to negotiate with them to perhaps pay half (or even all) for a new stove that would not be dangerous to you, your family or your stereo system. I am thinking that paying for a stove would be better than losing any of those things (or, perhaps even the home that you live in). Just my thoughts on safety.

Fred H

Forum Donor
How about something like Zero Surge? As it uses a transformer it should filter the spikes. My son in Atlanta has frequent line spikes that remove his AVR's settings; this ended when he used a Zero Surge. One I installed in a lightening-prone location is still working properly 15 years later.

Holmz

Major Contributor
This is part of why I run a gas stove (other than my wife has cooked on gas (gas is both plentiful & cheap here) for all of her cooking (life long), also we can still cook if there is a power outage. (I have the refrigerator on it's own large UPS, at least one LED light in every room is on a smaller UPS, the computer and WiFi are each on their own large UPS, the fan to the Gas/Pack heat & AC is on a large UPS (but not the AC, as my home is shaded & doesn't get stupidly hot even without running the AC, but I will not freeze in the winter as my heat is gas [unless there is an earthquake, in which case I will likely have other problems {there is a road within 20 miles of me with the name 'Fault Line RD}.]). This has proven to work well for at least 2 days of no power company electric power. And the stove cannot spike the electrical system.

with a harmonica and a kazoo, you will be set for no power.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
with a harmonica and a kazoo, you will be set for no power.
One night in our condo in Guam (where I had the same setup) my wife went outside to dump the trash. When she came back in she stated that the street lights are out, the traffic signals are out and no other condos or homes that she could see have any lights operating. Yet our refrigerator is running, you are on the computer and I have the TV on. Why do we have power when no one else seems to. I said that "We currently have an island wide blackout. You know those black boxes that we have in every room that you hate (because it makes it more difficult to have to hide something within the décor). They are why we have power when others don't. She then said "What a great idea". And has never bitched about them again.
That blackout lasted 4 hours and it did not impact our daily life at all. And in Charleston, SC (USA), we had a 2 day blackout that had ZERO effect on our daily life at home.
To me (and my family), that is worth having the UPS units and replacing the batteries every 4 years or so.

Top Bottom