• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

An audio engineer explains why Dolby Atmos Music is “definitely going to supersede stereo”

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You must be mistaking me for some other guys.
could easily be, no worries
Going further out into speculation, if it's not actually derived from the surround mix , and thus not a downmix, but rather something akin to an 'easter egg' embedded in the Atmos stream... either a new dedicated stereo mix with high DR from original multitracks, or a new high DR remaster from original stereo master tapes -- that would be strange and interesting. But I've read no evidence of that.
I think there are good reasons to think towards the "easter egg" way. Or at least they have different, pre-generated files on the server for Atmos Surround/Stereo/etc...

With millions of people listening at the same time, you just can't do any bits-generation on the server. That leaves the client device. Latest phones should have enough CPU for stereo-bits-generation but still:
  • client device must also do de-encyption & de-compression. Lots of CPU power and battery already.
  • older iPhones and many Androids won't have enough CPU for extra 'generation'. Millions of clients left behind is not best business.
  • even with the newest phones, you have the battery issue. Empty it too fast and no one will use your service.
  • any extra processing makes features like gapless/crossfade/etc hard to implement and brittle.
I'd bet that the "Atmos stereo" bits are pre-generated somewhere. Very good chances that they are also easter-egg-included.

Last edited:

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I found that any improvement (or lack of it) varies a lot with different albums. I got the most impressive gains (much better soundstage, chiseled voices, etc.) with pop/alternative. Many of the classical albums seem to benefit only a little, although there are exceptions.

This seems to suggest that much of the “magic” lies in the quality gap between the mixes (lossless vs Atmos), rather than some intrinsic technological feature of Atmos. But whatever it may be, I’ll take it, especially for free.
if the soundstage changes are easily audible, you can bet on a re-mix/master.
Many recordings (most?) do not even have a soundstage because they were not taken with stereo or binaural mics. The soundstage is simply created/invented in the studio. Pretty much 100% for generated/synth music.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hi Sal, I'm getting the impression that streaming has moved on, even with many audiophiles, from that function. It has its own legitimacy as a 'final product', at last.
Oh yea, your completely correct, I'm only speaking for myself.
I live comfortable in the fact that I can listen to my complete library as long as I have 110v electricity.
I couldn't sleep at night knowing all my music wouldn't be accessible without the internet connection and paying my monthly ransom. ;)
YMMV

if the soundstage changes are easily audible, you can bet on a re-mix/master.
Yep

Many recordings (most?) do not even have a soundstage because they were not taken with stereo or binaural mics. The soundstage is simply created/invented in the studio. Pretty much 100% for generated/synth music.
True but mainly irrelant. Modern talented mixing engineers are capable of creating great, if not dare I say superior, "soundstaged" recordings from multitrack mixing masters than from a pure 2ch mix. You can't mix Atmos music from a 2ch master. ;)

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
True but mainly irrelant. Modern talented mixing engineers are capable of creating great, if not dare I say superior, "soundstaged" recordings from multitrack mixing masters than from a pure 2ch mix. You can't mix Atmos music from a 2ch master. ;)
No issues there. I only wanted to enforce the point that soundstage changes == it was remixed. Atmos will not magically improve the soundstage, the mix engineer did/does that

OP
AdamG

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
To keep this conversation going, I am posting up a Dolby Atmos in a car demo at CES 2023: Who doesn’t want ATMOS in your new 2023 Mercedes right? I ordered one for me and the wife! :eek:

Newman

Major Contributor
D

Deleted member 19122

I for one haven't found Atmos useful for music at all.Granted it's been a small sample size so far but I much prefer DTS-MA non spatial vs any Atmos spatial mix.I just don't need crap spinning down from the ceiling in my music so far.O just find it gimmicky.Take the Stones Goat Heads Soup Atmos mix,just not that good tbh.I would love for a straight DTS HD 5.1 on that,you can flush the Atmos mix,it's a turd

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I might consider a new bicycle if it had built-in Atmos. Seriously though, I've been considering adding stereo speakers to my handlebars. One potential benefit is a complete lack of room modes and early reflections. It seems like it could work great with crosstalk elimination to create a super wide stereo sound field. Wind noise is a problem though. I always think it's cute when people are riding along with a bluetooth speaker blaring. I think it's much better than earbuds because then they can't hear what's going on around them. I ring my bell and call out but often they don't hear it and act startled when I pass.

Last edited:

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I for one haven't found Atmos useful for music at all.Granted it's been a small sample size so far but I much prefer DTS-MA non spatial vs any Atmos spatial mix.I just don't need crap spinning down from the ceiling in my music so far.O just find it gimmicky.Take the Stones Goat Heads Soup Atmos mix,just not that good tbh.I would love for a straight DTS HD 5.1 on that,you can flush the Atmos mix,it's a turd
I haven't heard any height channel effects with music yet. The 7.1 bed mixes I've heard were I thought interesting and refreshing at first, but now I'm back to 2 channel recordings with my own matrix array of 3 speakers. I think I enjoy the fact that it's my own quirky arrangement as much as the quality of the sound. As Sinatra said, "I did it my way!" Now I can still listen to the "Spacial" mixes in their 2 channel format with my current setup. I don't really have a strong opinion about those. I think they sound fine but not necessarily any better than the older 2 channel mixes of the same songs. It is interesting that some of these re-mixes seem to show a lot more dynamic range.

poxymoron

I might consider a new bicycle if it had built-in Atmos. Seriously though, I've been considering adding stereo speakers to my handlebars. One potential benefit is a complete lack of room modes and early reflections. It seems like it could work great with crosstalk elimination to create a super wide stereo sound field. Wind noise is a problem though. I always think it's cute when people are riding along with a bluetooth speaker blaring. I think it's much better than earbuds because then they can't hear what's going on around them. I ring my bell and call out but often they don't hear it and act startled when I pass.
1673057934147.png

These Genelecs might suit the bicycle.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Huffy Radio Bike had y'all beat in 1992.

Scana_7_465_263_int.jpeg

I think ATMOS is still finding its footing in music. I have an ATMOS demo setup at the office and we actually enjoy some of the ATMOS mixes streamed from Apple Music. (Fleetwood Mac Rumors and AHA stand out...) It is great for movies! I think back to the first time I heard the "Hell Freezes Over" DVD in the Genelec booth at a trade show - pretty amazing.

It will take a while before artists and mix engineers figure out how to exploit the format to best effect...

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
I have listened to a lot of different formats for music. Good ol stereo will be around as long as we have two ears. I will be long gone and turned to dust before stereo goes away. So I really don't think about it as I wind up my MONO Victrola with 78s. I haven't quit listening to MONO, stereo has to be good for another 100 years. LOL
In two hundred years we might just grow another ear for good 3 channel music. :)

Regards

Andysu

Major Contributor
atmos is stereo overheads are basic stereo pairs of heights 1 2 3 sounds can be panned diagonally around in square like circle unless they are actually positioned on or within flush of the ceiling in arrays of speakers to make circle . no this is all , sorry to say , Dolby BsMos . i never buy music Atmos discs or even stream unless a mixer can swear that it is a serious listening for myself personally . i would rather listen to my cats running around meowing or listen to just 10 seconds of traffic outside with maybe the odd jet airliner and i know , and some mostly know its all sound impulses and reflections and time delays that create this , stereo sound illusion and just 10 seconds is way better than 3hr Dolby Atmos movie . where only few i have noticed out of the , ten years , 10 years of it only tiny fraction % is decent enough , still not perfect by any means at least Gravity used the overheads for the full 90 mins unlike some other rubbish movie that is over 2hrs and only uses few minutes of overhead surround .

Dolby Atmos doesn't have a true discrete below surround with timings and textures and sound continuity to match the off screen sound to the on-screen sound with panning . i can do a matrix version of below surround but would rather have true discrete rather than all this , 3d Atmos snake oil of branding Atmos on old movies with the promise and yet just another rubbish Atmos that doesn't have any true sense of overhead they sound just like the regular channels , may as well just have used the rubbish upmixer DSU which is utterly rubbish , why matrix decoder attached to front L R ? that is so easy i tried this myself over 10 years ago with 5.1 to spread matrix surround ambience onto the stereo surrounds of , i think , " forrest gump " as the rain effects mostly mixed on L C R in 5.1 . when downmix 4.2.4 the rain is all around or partly due to crosstalk nature of the matrix 4.2.4 decoder . but easy to put matrix decoder connected to front L R and then feed the outputs into audio mixer with stereo surrounds and then combine say the . . .

. . . combine the output rear matrix surround decoder connected to front L R , connect S output into one line input on the mixer , where i have fader slider to adjust align it to the 5.1 or ( stereo split surrounds L R ) into two line inputs and combine and balance levels with pink noise , and bingo ! i now have the rain effect all around so easy that was and i did that over 10 years ago .

^ thinking about it i may try it again . but it does have crosstalk issues , which is what Dolby DSU is . Dolby use there own matrix decoder could be side surround decoder or rear surround decoder of that say like PLIIx and they won't use the front part of the decoder that would be a . dead giver away to non trained listener it would stick out like red sore thumb . so they cheat , you and even cheat you over there , yes Dolby labs cheat us all . they even cheat themselves .

dts use there own version matrix decoder have done for years which has different surround victor steering . i fact i prefer dts neural x .it has better fake stereo overhead matrix decoder of its own dts matrix . i can hear the crosstalks of where that sound originated from , front L R .

now Dolby DSU when used with 5.1 oh what a mess ! it even adds on to the rear back surround serious listening distraction of front L R crosstalk so bad i have to switch Dolby labs rubbish DSU off ! remember Dolby PLIIx that did great for 5.1 mixes as would have switching inside to add extension only to the surround channels to give a scene , say " mission from mars " where there is dialog pan that moves slowly around the speakers or in cinema with Dolby surround - EX ( my 1989 idea shared on phone dolby labs new york the guy stolen my idea i get 0 credit for the idea shared that in 1998 full one year before public knew of it being used for star wars the jar jar binks story ) sigh .

so the dialog pans with voice and connects with back surrounds of that voice which is phantom mono signal that would commonly hover or float between L R surrounds for few seconds before panning onto left surround and then mixed back into centre channel .
PLIIx gives the dialog pan stereo like freedom effect on the rear back surrounds as it slowly pans and in my listening personal experience i think the PLIIx is by far better .

how ever thou PLIIx for laserdisc Dolby Stereo 4.2.4 mixes its not so good . fake stereo surrounds for star wars and i think it adds on error of extra crosstalk that i found distracting and that is by listening to ( each channels one by one with other channels muted so i can closely examine )

Dolby DSU has thrown away PLIIx ? oddly so when using dts neural x with " mission to mars " i swear it sounds like PLIIx when the dialog pans around onto the surrounds with no front L R crosstalk . it has another function of maybe logic switching circuitry i guess ?

most on ASR don't listen the way i listen . they do say everyone listeners differently . i wonder how Dolby labs trained engineers back when i think Dolby Stereo was the most decent sound format that i heard or was listening to that wowed me at regular cinemas with 4.2.4 , while other cinemas was geared up for 35/70 and when showcasing 70 was a bigger deal . Dolby Atmos at regular substandard no THX just substandard sound bass that hardly even presses on my body with just plain middle to high range DEAFENING where i have no choice to using earplugs fearing HF hearing loss ! yeah , sure Dolby labs Atmos is natural sounding , may have brainwashed the people in there 30's with your BsMos , but doesn't fool me single bit . may fool people in another 20 years if Dolby Atmos is still around , while other sound formats have been slowly phased out and everyone has been , Dolby BrainwashedMos

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I’m sure there is something of interest in all of this, but I’m afraid I stopped reading after:

atmos is stereo overheads are basic stereo pairs of heights 1 2 3 sounds can be panned diagonally around in square like circle unless they are actually positioned on or within flush of the ceiling in arrays of speakers to make circle . no this is all , sorry to say , Dolby BsMos .

Your use of punctuation makes what you write very hard to parse (at least for me as a non-native speaker of English). Unless you’re writing for an audience of puzzle solvers or word game players, that is not a good thing. Remember, language belongs to the listener (or reader). The onus of drawing the reader into a story or argument is entirely on the writer.

I’m a cat lover, in case that matters :)

dfuller

Major Contributor
Atmos for music has never struck me as all that fun, to be honest. It's great for interactive media and for movies, but... not for me for music, especially in headphones. Disorienting.

Top Bottom