• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioquest Niagara 1200 Review (Power Conditioner/Surge Protector)

sjeesjie

Lying to themselves as much as they are lying to us.
"They won't upsell you...we don't roll that way here"

Riiiiiiiiight.
The guy from upscale is just another salesman right? “It’s so good, I’m using it at home!” Etc

CedarX

Forum Donor
Headfonia review at: https://www.headfonia.com/audioquest-niagara-1200-review/

Loved this: "The first thing I noticed, was that my system had a bump in volume. My Gain Cell pre-amplifier automatically starts at volume 25 out of 100, but with the Niagara 1200 in the mix, the volume was a good five to six clicks above as before." What...??? A bump in volume!!!! Is it a first? I don't think I had seen this type of claim before...

Oh and there is a typo in one of the introductory statements: "Power conditioners haven’t really set foot in the headphone business, though their use case would be relevant in it as well." I am sure he meant "irrelevant in it as well"

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Headfonia review at: https://www.headfonia.com/audioquest-niagara-1200-review/

Loved this: "The first thing I noticed, was that my system had a bump in volume. My Gain Cell pre-amplifier automatically starts at volume 25 out of 100, but with the Niagara 1200 in the mix, the volume was a good five to six clicks above as before." What...??? A bump in volume!!!! Is it a first? I don't think I had seen this type of claim before...

Oh and there is a typo in one of the introductory statements: "Power conditioners haven’t really set foot in the headphone business, though their use case would be relevant in it as well." I am sure he meant "irrelevant in it as well"

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Ugh. before i found ASR, i used to read headfonia a lot for reviews. Now that I see the truth of the matters via scientific data, I feel no remorse for not ever going there to read their horses**t reviews on products.

jayking8

Has anybody here done a blind listening test with any of the Audioquest Niagara lineup?

I have heard (yes with my ears) Niagara products really help stereo systems become more resolving and sound significantly better. They didn't always make a difference but sometimes they made massive improvements. Also, headphone listening is not always the best test for all accessories. If you didn't listen test on various amplifier/speaker pairings then your listening test is irrelevant. It seems odd to spend so much time measuring and so little time listening when the end goal is to have a system that is pleasing to listen to.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Hundreds of thousands of years of human evolution…
Keith

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While I'd say few around here would buy any Fraudioquest products in the first place, but imagining the time wasted doing listening tests, let alone a proper blinded test, of this sort of gear just boggles the mind....

DonR

Major Contributor
Has anybody here done a blind listening test with any of the Audioquest Niagara lineup?

I have heard (yes with my ears) Niagara products really help stereo systems become more resolving and sound significantly better. They didn't always make a difference but sometimes they made massive improvements. Also, headphone listening is not always the best test for all accessories. If you didn't listen test on various amplifier/speaker pairings then your listening test is irrelevant. It seems odd to spend so much time measuring and so little time listening when the end goal is to have a system that is pleasing to listen to.
How do you know it wasn't subconscious biases influencing your perception of what you heard? What would be the theory behind such "massive" improvements?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

You are mixing your opinion with science. They are totally different things.

TrevC

Unfortunately for you nothing on the power side can have any influence on sound quality. It isn't possible, and you are therefore mistaken.

beren777

Can we not turn every review into subjectivist vs. objectivist greatest hits rehash? Any responses to review threads which pop the "but my ears" argument should be moved to a dedicated "So you think your ears are golden" master thread.

ClearcutBoldHippopotamus-max-1mb.gif

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Can we not turn every review into subjectivist vs. objectivist greatest hits rehash? Any responses to review threads which pop the "but my ears" argument should be moved to a dedicated "So you think your ears are golden" master thread.

ClearcutBoldHippopotamus-max-1mb.gif

That's in the works... Stay tuned.

Edit:. In the mean time, we'll use the other catch-all.

Last edited:

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
have heard (yes with my ears) Niagara products really help stereo systems become more resolving and sound significantly better.
Nice now upload a video of acing the blind test and change the world, you will be the first guy in history who did this

MacCali

Major Contributor
Dudes probably not coming back, even though we would like him to join us.

I think we need to all tone it down in general. We shouldn’t waste our energy in debates and extra remarks when we know this isn’t going to go away.

The thing that gets me is we go to audio shows and everyone is so friendly and engage in conversation and will be friendly with everyone even if it’s for a few minutes or deep convo and the utmost level of respect.

Wish we could have a certain level of that here, regardless of what we believe. Whether people are trolling us or giving their honest opinion it is what it is.

EJC

I am new to ASR although I’ve been following for a couple of years now. Thank you to all who contribute as you’ve helped educate me and I’m sure many others. Now to the topic at hand. I met Bill Low, the owner of Audioquest, yesterday evening at a local audio dealer. I was there to pick up a sub and was waiting in one of the demo rooms talking to a sales associate. He started to give me a pitch about power solutions and pointed out the Niagara 1200. I told him I was somewhat sceptical of these devices, some of which I’ve read about here, because testing shows they don’t improve power quality, never mind sound quality. Bill Low entered the room and the sales associate introduced him to me. We continued the discussion about the Niagara line of products. I was respectful and kept my skepticism in in check, even though I’ve been a victim of snake oil poison. I did bring up measurements and testing to Bill and he went into a spiel about how much of this testing is flawed and blah, blah, blah. Needless to say I won’t be wasting my money on Audioquest products and have learned to put it where it counts most, room treatment and better gear. Thanks again ASR!

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I did bring up measurements and testing to Bill and he went into a spiel about how much of this testing is flawed and blah, blah, blah.
Did he say why he thought testing was flawed?

MacCali

Major Contributor
Did he say why he thought testing was flawed?
He said much of the testing is flawed and that no testing at all is the best evidence.

Wish I was there, I would of asked why 5000 dollar cables add distortion and make a negative impact rather than a beneficial one. Mind you that was twice with two different cables, the one with Amir and the other with Gene

Overseas

Major Contributor
I thought the Audioq guy would give you a fast comparison using the marvel product.

Tarq

Sound like JimmyJet is honest and heard a positive difference. But I was not there during his listening tests. Also, I was not present at the ASR tests.

I've listened and opened many power conditioners, and have built some. The AQ 1200 looks like a decent one, especially for source components, and TVs, video screens. I would use a second one for a large amplifier, say over 100 watts per channel.
I strongly suggest the use of a surge protector at the service entrance of a house, or breaker panel, as reliable protection from surges.

Top Bottom