• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Review (Speaker)

Doctors11

Critical review of Wharfedale 12.2:

"We hear sharpness in an important area: the voice area. This causes restlessness. Even on very clean amplifiers, well above the class of this Wharfedale. The competition is killing in this field. And that makes it so that a product just has to be right. And although the speaker looks neat, it does not play at the level of the competition. This Diamond is too bright."

I would make the same criticism of my Wharfedale 9.0s, with back-to-back listening to TV sources, compared to my KEF LSXs. Any passive speakers the same size as KEF LSX, at same (or lower!) price that match them in the voice area?
Maybe the Arendal 1961 Bookshelf?

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Critical review of Wharfedale 12.2:

"We hear sharpness in an important area: the voice area. This causes restlessness. Even on very clean amplifiers, well above the class of this Wharfedale. The competition is killing in this field. And that makes it so that a product just has to be right. And although the speaker looks neat, it does not play at the level of the competition. This Diamond is too bright."

That is literally the exact opposite of what Amir's measurements of the 12.1 show. So either the 12.2 crossover is very different, or one of the two reviewers got a sample that was somehow off from the norm. Or the other reviewer prefers speakers with a large BBC dip, which the 12.1 already has a bit of, especially if they primarily mean female voices.

That has no impact on your assessment of your 9.1s. They are significantly different speakers.

tw 2022

That is literally the exact opposite of what Amir's measurements of the 12.1 show. So either the 12.2 crossover is very different, or one of the two reviewers got a sample that was somehow off from the norm. Or the other reviewer prefers speakers with a large BBC dip, which the 12.1 already has a bit of, especially if they primarily mean female voices.

That has no impact on your assessment of your 9.1s. They are significantly different speakers.
the 12.x and 9.x were designed by different people with different thoughts on f.r.........seems the "new" WD is more neutral leaning in general vs the "old" days...they've always struck me as a good value though...

bennybbbx

the measure of this with the much 300 hz boost look as they put this speakers on a table or on floor and measure

but anyway there can see too the gap between 1- 3 khz so the better level at 3 khz let them sound bright and fizzling and make s f loud as they write. in this test shoukld ignore the fr below 500 hz because it look as near floor reflections

Bernard23

They are on a bookshelf, about 4 feet apart and wedged into the corners. And they sound absolutely fine like that! These are not for a large or even a medium room but are ideal over a desk or if you have limited space. Obviously you don't get deep bass but you do get a very nice natural sound and great clarity. They are ideal for this particular situation and I feel no temptation to change them.
I'm going to test that limitation out thoroughly shortly. Just acquired a pair of 9.1s for a paltry £99 as part of a cheap vinyl renaissance system (Technics SL-1800 and a Denon brute from the mid 90s) in a large lounge with an odd shaped roof and really ugly acoustics. I fully expect to determine the maximum cone excursion dimension, though my plan is to add a sub at some point as there's only so much that sheer optimism can overlook. I have some KRK Rokits on my desk that will be a useful sonic benchmark too.

Mal

*9.0s...

Amir's measurements might be wrong, or he could have the speaker deviating from the norm...

Walter

*9.0s...

Amir's measurements might be wrong, or he could have the speaker deviating from the norm...
"Wrong" is very unlikely. His equipment and methodology is state of the art, and the measurements are similar to others I've seen for the 12 series, but yes, it is not impossible his speaker was not representative of the norm, as I already said. However, it is absolutely certain that comparing a 12. 1 speaker against a 9.0 is likely to result in as much variation as comparing two current speakers from completely different companies.

goozlo

I bought the 12.2 based on this and other reviews. I also recently got the 9.1 for my home cinema.
The 12.2 are awful, they are full of distortion even at low volumes, they are just awful and annoying, I did a side by side comparison with the 9.1 and the 9,1 wins hands down.
Ok the 9.1 is lacking some bass, but overall is very enjoyable to listen to , the 12.2 is useless.

I was not thinking to get the EVO 4.1 but I saw the review and it looks bad. So I can't understand, If it is worse than the 12.2 , can it be that bad?

Willem

Major Contributor
Did you do any distortion measurements? Apart from that, for past models too the ones with the smaller woofer such as the 9.1 or more recently the 220 that I have, had better integration between the two drivers than the larger models with a bigger woofer.

goozlo

I don't have a way to do measurements, but it is crystal clear that the 12.2 have either harmonics or distortion even at simple recordings.
I use them at my desktop so I am at ear level and about 1m from each and listen from low to mid volume most of the time. But the distortion I found is present even at extremely low volumes.

warpdrive

I'd be surprised if what you are hearing is harmonics or distortion. All of the measurements check out in the 12.1, and Erin gave the speaker good passing marks in his listening sessions too. It could be the tonality doesn't work for you compared to your 9.1. I have the 12.0 and12.1 and have no issues with them

Without measurements of your 9.1 compared to the 12.2 in your room, it's hard to speculate about the actual cause of what you are hearing. Anyway, you should probably move on or try to live with them.

(you wouldn't use youtube video to judge sound quality but this audio demo will give you a rough sense of the some of the differences between the 12.1 and 12.2).

harrisonjr98

Pardon me if this has already been discussed elsewhere in the thread. Wharfedale’s website lists the impedance as “8 ohm compatible” but with a minimum of 4 ohm. What does this mean in practice- specifically the “compatible” language? Would it be inadvisable to use these with a cheap AVR (Yamaha RX-V385) that is only rated for 6 ohm at the lowest, or are they “compatible”?

tw 2022

Pardon me if this has already been discussed elsewhere in the thread. Wharfedale’s website lists the impedance as “8 ohm compatible” but with a minimum of 4 ohm. What does this mean in practice- specifically the “compatible” language? Would it be inadvisable to use these with a cheap AVR (Yamaha RX-V385) that is only rated for 6 ohm at the lowest, or are they “compatible”?
It should be ok as long as you don't try to see if you can induce deafness....

harrisonjr98

That's what I suspect, I'm mostly interested in clarifying the "compatible" language - if it means in Wharfedale-speak "a-okay to use with an amp not rated for 4 ohms," what is the difference between its 4 ohm rating and the 4 ohm rating of countless other speakers from the last half century? I should add that I am specifically referring to the Diamond 12.0 (4" driver), but this thread seems more active and the 12.1 shares the same impedance rating. I guess I'm worried that I could conceivably reach the danger-zone on a 4" driver at 4 ohms. But more worried about my girlfriend, as this is a living room setup :p

tw 2022

That's what I suspect, I'm mostly interested in clarifying the "compatible" language - if it means in Wharfedale-speak "a-okay to use with an amp not rated for 4 ohms," what is the difference between its 4 ohm rating and the 4 ohm rating of countless other speakers from the last half century? I should add that I am specifically referring to the Diamond 12.0 (4" driver), but this thread seems more active and the 12.1 shares the same impedance rating. I guess I'm worried that I could conceivably reach the danger-zone on a 4" driver at 4 ohms. But more worried about my girlfriend, as this is a living room setup :p
4 ohm, 8 ohm differences are often imagined imo, many manufacturer's aren't giving you accurate data... using good judgement on volume and using a sub correct a lot of "problems"....my experience with the 10.1s was they were easy to drive.....the easy answer is to just let your ears judge as to how hard the 12.1s are to drive...according to Amir's data they never dip below 4 ohms ,although the 100 hz region looks pretty steep. i still think you are ok...

witwald

Forum Donor
Wharfedale’s website lists the impedance as “8 ohm compatible” but with a minimum of 4 ohm. What does this mean in practice- specifically the “compatible” language? Would it be inadvisable to use these with a cheap AVR (Yamaha RX-V385) that is only rated for 6 ohm at the lowest, or are they “compatible”?
The impedance measurements indicate that, in the low frequencies, the impedance drops below 6 ohms between 120Hz and 600Hz, as well as below 18Hz or so. This particular model has high levels of distortion below 150Hz or so when driven to 96 dBSPL during the tests. Hence, it's possible that you'll hear audible problems before the amplifier has any major difficulties driving the low-impedance portion of the spectrum. The RX-V385 is rated at Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) of 70 W (6 ohms, 0.09% THD), and only a fraction of that is needed to get to the 96 dBSPL point with your speakers.

harrisonjr98

The impedance measurements indicate that, in the low frequencies, the impedance drops below 6 ohms between 120Hz and 600Hz, as well as below 18Hz or so. This particular model has high levels of distortion below 150Hz or so when driven to 96 dBSPL during the tests. Hence, it's possible that you'll hear audible problems before the amplifier has any major difficulties driving the low-impedance portion of the spectrum. The RX-V385 is rated at Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) of 70 W (6 ohms, 0.09% THD), and only a fraction of that is needed to get to the 96 dBSPL point with your speakers.
Thanks! I will probably be high passing the speakers around 80-100 Hz and sending the rest to a sub anyway.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know if Amir's eq is likely to apply to the 12.2 as well?
His EQ often adds a component for one of his own room modes, so that is a problem sometimes, not sure if that was the case here.
You would be wise to buy a UMIK1 and do your own measurements and develop your own filter, which you then also can tune to taste.
In my opinion it's fairly cheap for what you get.

It also works with Zoom :cool:

Top Bottom