• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New McIntosh Turntable

DonR

Major Contributor
I quite like McIntosh but I often see these kinds of aspiration brands go nuts in the marketing department.

McIntosh like to think they're being 'inovators' with their turntable cum integrated amp (sorry) but we all seen this at Aldis Lidl or whatever you guys have in the US....

and this is one of the nicer ones... we've all seen plastic fantastic ones

basically a turntable with speaker out terminals plus vol. plus a remote and maybe 3.5 headphone in and BT if its newish

as a 'lifestyle' choice these make sense

i mean turntables are arcane enough with phono preamps carts tonearms and i suppose letting rich people go this route isnt amazing.
I was thinking Crosley or Ikea (just need powered speakers). I am surprised this hasn't hurt the brand.

MAB

Major Contributor
Really could have been a goodish product if they had just used an SL-1200 mechanism, faked the belt-drive, and put a proper pitch control:
1669922254900.png

Two of these DJ-style with a mixer would actually make more sense than one of the actual product.;)

p.s. The volume control should go to eleven.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are thinking of “Boomers”.
I've wondered about the company's customer demographics. Back in the day, the 60s through 70s, my impression was that most buyers were typically higher end professionals--docs, lawyers and such. Practical men who didn't care to ever upgrade. Buy once and forget it. They probably didn't read the magazines (Mac was hardly ever reviewed, and never advertised much). So it had to be word of mouth and/or dealer advice.

[If wives were involved in a purchase, it probably came down to Bang and Olufsen (in order to blend with a Scan design living room). Or a bedroom system (see below).]

A Silent Gen relative owned a Mac tuner/preamp, and the matching amp. He had it hidden in some fancy wall unit cabinets, accessible by lattice glass doors. You couldn't really see the gear, even when it was in use. It wasn't meant to show off. FWIW, his loudspeakers were JBL L100, so you can figure out the era of his gear.

If they are like me, 'Boomers' interested in hi-fi probably have something left over from their heyday, that is still working. Besides, the price of modern Mac is through the roof. Most AARP types, at least the ones I know, tend to keep their dollars close, and are downsizing anyhow. Many have lost their hearing, so what's the point?

Newer 'modern era' big iron MacStuff? Possibly Gen X?

Do Millennials and Zs have the kind of dollars that McIntosh is asking? Or, are they looking at more affordable gear? Possibly checking out the Full of Schiit guys? At the same time, an 'all in one' unit like this little Mac might better appeal to the younger generation, due to its form factor. But @ $7000.00?

Honestly, I have no idea who is buying McIntosh. Or any of the high priced spread advertised in the 'review' magazines. Go to Harman's Mark Levinson site and check out the clip art in their ads. Those roll players sitting on the floor drinking red wine don't look to me like they could afford any of the gear they are using. But who knows? I sure don't.

72u0ny.jpg

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If they are like me, 'Boomers' interested in hi-fi probably have something left over from their heyday, that is still working. Besides, the price of modern Mac is through the roof. Most AARP types, at least the ones I know, tend to keep their dollars close, and are downsizing anyhow. Many have lost their hearing, so what's the point?

I was thinking similar. This looks like a box whose main purpose is to look like a record player with, uh, tubes, while mainly acting as a Bluetooth receiver. That's not the sort of veblen good you market to someone already whittling down their retirement funds.

dorakeg

Wow nice... I like the green glow form the tubes. But then, is that added LED?? I don't recall tubes have green glows.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Really could have been a goodish product if they had just used an SL-1200 mechanism, faked the belt-drive, and put a proper pitch control:
View attachment 247137

Two of these DJ-style with a mixer would actually make more sense than one of the actual product.;)

p.s. The volume control should go to eleven.
In fairness to Mac -- the SL1200 wasn't back yet when this product debuted.

Reactions: MAB

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
... and not in fairness to Mac :cool:, back when this particular lifestyle product debuted, there was some frantic chatter among fans and nonfans alike when there were some oddly edited cartons featured in an FB post by Big Blue of Binghamton. :)

i189jo0knpwv.png

"Designed in the USA by McIntosh"

DonR

Major Contributor
... and not in fairness to Mac :cool:, back when this particular lifestyle product debuted, there was some frantic chatter among fans and nonfans alike when there were some oddly edited cartons featured in an FB post by Big Blue of Binghamton. :)

i189jo0knpwv.png

"Designed in the USA by McIntosh"
What has been redacted under that statement? "Built in China by Foxconn"???

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
What has been redacted under that statement? "Built in China by Foxconn"???
Well, that was the speculation at the time (2019). The nomenclature around this particular product changed to ""Handcrafted in USA with US and imported parts"" by the time these were actually shipping.
The VPI turntable used in these, as it turns out, is made in New Jersey. :)

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Ugh. Integrated tubes with the actual TT, why? And why then put them right by the tonearm? This is just an unnecessary, terrible thing.

MAB

Major Contributor
Ugh. Integrated tubes with the actual TT, why? And why then put them right by the tonearm? This is just an unnecessary, terrible thing.
Yeah, the only thing that should go by the tonearm is a +-8% pitch control like a DJ turntable. At least it wouldn't detract from the use like the tubes do. Unnecessary and terrible are good words to describe this train accident product.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Yeah, I don't get the location of the tubes.

But IMO, tubes are dumb and vinyl is dumb! :p If you are going to have a turntable, I don't have a problem with a built-in preamp since not all modern receivers have one. But it should be made with op-amps or FETs for less heat (better energy efficiency) better life/reliability and lower cost..

In fairness, the tubes (assuming they're doing anything at all) are small signal tubes, not power output tubes, and won't generate much heat at all.
All tubes have an internal heating element and they don't work cold. In the tube days, you had to wait for your radio or TV to warm-up. And that's why they glow. You'll burn your fingers if you touch the glass! That's one of the reasons for the cage. The cage also makes it less likely that you'll accidently knock it out of its socket.

MAB

Major Contributor
Yeah, I don't get the location of the tubes.

But IMO, tubes are dumb and vinyl is dumb! :p If you are going to have a turntable, I don't have a problem with a built-in preamp since not all modern receivers have one. But it should be made with op-amps or FETs for less heat (better energy efficiency) better life/reliability and lower cost..

All tubes have an internal heating element and they don't work cold. In the tube days, you had to wait for your radio or TV to warm-up. And that's why they glow. You'll burn your fingers if you touch the glass! That's one of the reasons for the cage. The cage also makes it less likely that you'll accidently knock it out of its socket.
Yeah. It is double dumb. I don’t typically believe in ‘pairing synergy’, but this is an exception… These two stupid things conspire to create something way stupider than the sum of the parts.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
In most vacuum tubes (including virtually all of the ones used in consumer electronics), the amount of power consumed by/heat produced by the tube's heater is pretty small. Most of the serious HEAT comes from the power dissipated by the plates (and that delivered to the load). Thus does a HV rectifier or power output pentode get hot-hot-hot. Small signal tubes (e.g., a twin triode like a 12AX7), run within their design parameters, runs quite warm -- but hardly hot.

The heater in a 12AX7 is rated for 6.3 V at 0.3 A. P = E*I (to a good approximation), so that's 1.9 watts.
One 12AX7 triode section's rated for 1.2 watts plate dissipation.

Things get interesting for, say, a 6550. :)

Filament's 6.3 V at 1.6 A (10 watts)
Plate dissipation: 44 watts
Many power tubes (including the 6550) and HV rectifiers are rated for bulb temperatures of 250 degrees C. That is toasty. :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I guess you could argue that Harman Kardon doesn't have an intrinsic upscale brand recognition. People here might remember their Citation stuff. But mostly that's forgotten.

The Harman umbrella simply got too big, too diverse and destroyed the legacy of all the brands they touched. Even Harman Kardon itself as a brand got wrecked.

And yes, the real Citation stuff from the early 1980s- an absolute high water mark.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL been getting a laugh out of this one for a while.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Is that a Topping style, bog-standard Chinese plastic remote next to the unit?

1670111265897.png

Top Bottom