• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New McIntosh Turntable

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You would have to be a ‘vinyl mug’ .
Keith

Reactions: MAB

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, Jeep was always seen as utilitarian and rugged (an undeserved attribute, particularly in the last 20 years). McIntosh was refined and conservative. The pairing makes little sense to me. This new "thing" is simply mind-boggling.
As the erstwhile owner of two Jeep Wranglers (two door utility versions) I can attest to that. My guess is that from a longevity and long term maintenance standpoint, a basic MacAmp will cause you less problems than a Jeep.

Thing is, if you need what a Jeep does, I mean really need it, there's not much else around. Maybe a dirt bike.:) If you need what a McIntosh amp does, you have a lot of options.

If anyone asks, I'd tell them to buy an older, beat up Jeep, if they can find one. Then work on it as needed. As a daily driver? You've got to be kidding!

Galliardist

Major Contributor
This model’s three years old….

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Yes, Jeep was always seen as utilitarian and rugged (an undeserved attribute, particularly in the last 20 years). McIntosh was refined and conservative. The pairing makes little sense to me. This new "thing" is simply mind-boggling.
Well, umm... I mean... the Grateful Dead toured with Mac amps for decades. They had to be at least reasonably tough.

LLPBbQwTgYnddyEAUvN6m.jpg

phil_lesh_wallosound_macintosh_tubeamps-jpg.1885293

I think Mac & Jeep are cut from quite similar cloth --although you can't watch a Mac product rust in real time on a warm summer day. ;)

Put your records to close to the tubes, and with low sensitivity loudspeakers, your records will look like that mug!

In fairness, the tubes (assuming they're doing anything at all) are small signal tubes, not power output tubes, and won't generate much heat at all.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
That it is.
I believe I read someplace (on the internet...) that it's been a good selling item for Mac.
One may draw one's own conclusions.

:rolleyes:
For anyone with bluetooth streaming, it is the quintessential modern stereogram, isn't it? And a way to have McIntosh without the blue lights and meters, though apparently that's the point.

It should sell well, if not to most of the people here.

mti100-lifestyle-table.jpg

I think I'd give that "setup" a miss though. Probably best without the speaker leads as depicted.

MAB

Major Contributor
Well, umm... I mean... the Grateful Dead toured with Mac amps for decades. They had to be at least reasonably tough.

LLPBbQwTgYnddyEAUvN6m.jpg

phil_lesh_wallosound_macintosh_tubeamps-jpg.1885293

I think Mac & Jeep are cut from quite similar cloth --although you can't watch a Mac product rust in real time on a warm summer day. ;)

In fairness, the tubes (assuming they're doing anything at all) are small signal tubes, not power output tubes, and won't generate much heat at all.
Yeah. At any temperature they are in the way of operation. Like if I mounted some vu meters on the front of an amp that blocked access to the volume knob. Useless cosmetic stuff in the way is bad. Slightly hot tubes makes it slightly worse.

JaccoW

Does Mac consider their gear to be big and ugly? Is that the association? Maybe that's the answer. And maybe they need to work out a deal with Harley-Davidson.
I do, but then again I'm not their core demographic.

And Harley Davidson is not the popular brand it used to be. They bet on import restrictions to save their asses instead of building quality bikes. As such they are having their lunch eaten by many other brands.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
True for many Klipsch products, too -- vintage as well as modern.
:cool:

Actually, I can't criticize too much, but do like to make a joke, only in the context of McIntosh's origins. Certainly the 'lifestyle' marketing angle is not something Frank had in mind. And I confess, as an owner of 'modern' Klipsch Heritage horns, I'm guilty of a certain amount of 21st century anachronism.

The idea presented by this product is credible, for a space limited environment-- nothing new in the history of hi-fi, as others have pointed out. However, the implementation is a mixed bag. Tubes are just a marketing gimmick, and ergonomically in the way when manipulating the tonearm. But tubes are the thing, and green tubes are a Mac specialty. I don't know where they could mount them, elsewhere, given the form factor.

DAC, remote, preamp w/bluetooth--all in a compact record player is a workable idea for a small space.

For compactness I don't understand the inclusion of amplifiers. Wireless self-powered speakers would seem to be the way to go. Something like the little KEFs. Especiallyl since the main idea for this would seem to be 'declutter'.

I'm surprised it doesn't come with a clear plastic dust cover at the price point. That wouldn't add to the price much; it's not like the company is giving it away, as it is. Not for use during record playing, but for protection. The dealer blurb cited first, indicates the thing gets hot in use (the 'little oven' quote). The manual doesn't say anything about that.

Finally, for this class of 'all in one convenience' package, a semi-auto tonearm lift would be handy. Few manufacturers incorporate that feature, anymore.

Godataloss

I get the grab at the vinyl resurgence, but why not make a stand-alone tubed phono stage? I love my tubed phono stages- anything to make playing records more anachronistic and the average ASR nerd seethe.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I get the grab at the vinyl resurgence, but why not make a stand-alone tubed phono stage?
They do. But not at this price point. And then you're into a full sized system.

Here, the marketing angle has to be: "What can we make that will fit in a small room, possibly on an end table; costs no more than a mid-range high performance Japanese motorcycle (less speakers); and is something dealers in trendy cities can make some money selling? All the time possessing the MacVibe people want?

Whether they have created something successful... ?

I remember... I guess it was 1974. A roommate bought an Akai 'all in one' hi-fi unit. Not unlike this in idea. It was shaped like a stand alone cassette deck (the kind that lay flat, not upright) and played cassettes. It featured a little amp, and you could hook a turntable to it (we used a Dual 1218). I don't remember if it included an AM/FM radio. You just added loudspeakers.

My first record player (1962 or so) was an all in one. With a stackable auto changer that folded down, and a flip over needle (for 78s). Came with a detachable speaker, and folded up in to a suitcase, so you could carry it around. Certainly not as sophisticated or good-sounding as this Mac. But not too bad for luggage. :facepalm:

Godataloss

They do. But not at this price point. And then you're into a full sized system.
It's solid state. Who makes these decisions? We'll put tubes on the turn table because of our strong tube audio heritage as a company, but our only dedicated phono stage will be solid state!

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's solid state. Who makes these decisions? We'll put tubes on the turn table because of our strong tube audio heritage as a company, but our only dedicated phono stage will be solid state!

According the spec sheet it uses 4 12AX7. Has many phono related adjustments: five EQ curves, MC and MM, multiple loading options, low and high filters. Also evidently includes an ADC that converts your analog signal into a digital stream.

And meters. Blue meters. Unfortunately for the visually oriented consumer, its green tubes have to be viewed from the glass window on top. I'm not sure why they didn't mount them in front, so you could watch the green glow. Possibly that would have distracted from the meters. The blue ones.

All kidding aside, except for the tubes, which can't help matters, the device looks to be pretty inclusive. Eight large, if you have to ask.

mp1100-front-top-riaa.jpg

Godataloss

According the spec sheet it uses 4 12AX7. Has many phono related adjustments: five EQ curves, MC and MM, multiple loading options, low and high filters. Also evidently includes an ADC that converts your analog signal into a digital stream.

And meters. Blue meters. Unfortunately for the visually oriented consumer, its green tubes have to be viewed from the glass window on top. I'm not sure why they didn't mount them in front, so you could watch the green glow. Possibly that would have distracted from the meters. The blue ones.

All kidding aside, except for the tubes, which can't help matters, the device looks to be pretty inclusive. Eight large, if you have to ask.

View attachment 247044
I was not aware of this guy- probably because even if you search for 'McIntosh MP1100' the top three results are the solid state MP100. Not a bad looking unit. I'd rather see the meters than the stupid green tubes anyway. Only four tubes is weak sauce though- my Fosgate has 6.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I quite like McIntosh but I often see these kinds of aspiration brands go nuts in the marketing department.

McIntosh like to think they're being 'inovators' with their turntable cum integrated amp (sorry) but we all seen this at Aldis Lidl or whatever you guys have in the US....

and this is one of the nicer ones... we've all seen plastic fantastic ones

basically a turntable with speaker out terminals plus vol. plus a remote and maybe 3.5 headphone in and BT if its newish

as a 'lifestyle' choice these make sense

i mean turntables are arcane enough with phono preamps carts tonearms and i suppose letting rich people go this route isnt amazing.

Top Bottom