• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

DeepSpace57

It is lossless ALAC 44.1 16

It is able to give you such bandwidth in theory. Yet, as an example, if you stream music through the apple music app on any ios device, the conversion to acc takes place. Briefly, it is lossy and thereby not a bit perfect even if the original file is at 16bit/44.1hz. Unfortunately, there is nothing to do for Wiim and likewise, companies as the problem stems from the apple side.

mhecimovic

What settings to use to get MQA o
utilizando la conexión Tidal
Of course I have Tidal… my question is about settings on Wiim mini or Topping E50… no matter which option I use in Wiim Mini settings, I will not receive better quality than 24/48.8. What settings should be used in combination with topping E50? Decoder and renderer, Decoder or Renderer

Attachments

• 3D5AE0D9-66C2-4A57-9407-B3A25874E2AD.jpeg
    3D5AE0D9-66C2-4A57-9407-B3A25874E2AD.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 71

Perepep

What we are telling you is that you must launch the music to the mini from the native Tidal app, using Tidal connect.

mediocrebutarrogant

Of course I have Tidal… my question is about settings on Wiim mini or Topping E50… no matter which option I use in Wiim Mini settings, I will not receive better quality than 24/48.8. What settings should be used in combination with topping E50? Decoder and renderer, Decoder or Renderer
Renderer only for topping e50 over optical and only works on tidal connect but shit don’t work

MSL

Can you do Amazon Music on a pi? Alexa voice control, losslessly? Google voice control? Can the pi act as a Chromecast renderer? Does it have a case with AV buttons, and a remote control without a huge hassle? Does it have coaxial and optical outputs without adding additional hardware which requires configuration? Can you even purchase a pi in the foreseeable future, with all the functionality of the WiiMs for $80-150?

This thread is about the WiiM, not Raspberries
Can you do Amazon Music on a pi? Alexa voice control, losslessly? Google voice control? Can the pi act as a Chromecast renderer? Does it have a case with AV buttons, and a remote control without a huge hassle? Does it have coaxial and optical outputs without adding additional hardware which requires configuration? Can you even purchase a pi in the foreseeable future, with all the functionality of the WiiMs for $80-150?

Q: Can you do Amazon Music on a pi? Alexa voice control, losslessly?
A: No

Q: Alexa voice control

Q Can the pi act as a Chromecast renderer?

Q: Does it have a case with AV button
A: No ... and it's ugly as hell. And what am I supposed to do with AV buttons, it's a streaming device

Q: Does it have coaxial and optical outputs without adding additional hardware which requires configuration?
A: No, and and I don't need to add that. I prefer USB.

Q: Can you even purchase a pi in the foreseeable future, with all the functionality of the WiiMs for $80-150?
A: Yes, I can buy two for that price

My question was based on AirPlay 2. I don't have much left over for Amazon or Google and don't really care about the two services. And not at all their privacy policy. As written, the road to Spotify and Tidal is quite short.

For the other comments about quality... Airplay 2 on WiiM vs. Shairport sync (does WiiM even support Airplay 2?) Then the answers are an expression of ignorance. As far as I know, there are no devices that support anything other than 16/44.100. Shairport sync does.

I am in no way out to negate your enthusiasm. But I guess we can't disagree that this is a forum about HiFi ... especially a forum where even the smallest indifference (DAC) is highlighted. I found it a bit pathetic!

Statement: This thread is about the WiiM, not Raspberries

Surprise ... I ask why this device is so amazing.

Houna67

Hello

I just read the previous 20 pages or so for an annoying little thing but couldn't see a mention of this: the name of one of my 2 wiim minis (because I did not test on the other one) reverts to the very 1st name I gave it every now and then. Nothing earth shattering buts I said, just annoying. The solution might be to just relocate it to the original room and rename the 2nd wiim but then that 2nd unit might encounter the same problem so ...
Is this a know issue ? Any idea how to fix that once for all ?

telemike

AirPlay (1 and 2) is capable of ALAC (lossless) streaming up to 44.1 kHz (48 kHz for video contents).

Hi-res lossless (over 48 kHz) isn't supported via AirPlay as a protocol, regardless of Apple Music.

That said, Apple Music in its lossless form streamed via AirPlay isn't only limited to 44.1 kHz (as expected like said before): unfortunately it's turned into a lossy (AAC) stream. It has been confirmed from various sources. Don't ask me why.

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is MQA renderer working? I chose renderer only, neither tidal connect nor WiiM home tidal showing MQA over optical
I have topping e50 which does rendering on optical/coax and shows pcm. I read online the only way you get true mqa is to have full mqa meaning decoding and rendering on the dac. I’m getting pop noise on e50 when mqa is enabled.

Smartplug

What settings to use to get MQA on topping e50?

i can’t get more than 24/48,8…
I have e50 choose rendering only. The problem I have is pop noise sound like static noise. Let me know if you’re getting pop or annoying distortion.

Smartplug

Choose rendering only. That’s what’s stated on topping website. Full mqa need to use usb. Let me know if you hear pop or annoying distortion.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Expecting mine next week :D
Le WiiM Pro nouveau est arrivée :) (a little pun for any Beaujolais drinkers…)

WiiM Pro just arrived but in a classic case of bad timing, I need to go baby sit my nephew this morning :(

But I’ll get back home as soon as I can and see how it goes - setup on my Ipad was as easy as the Mini, and I’ll have a play with it and Chromecast from my android phone as soon as I can.

Might be time to start a new WiiM Pro Streamer thread?

telemike

Le WiiM Pro nouveau est arrivée :) (a little pun for any Beaujolais drinkers…)

WiiM Pro just arrived but in a classic case of bad timing, I need to go baby sit my nephew this morning :(

But I’ll get back home as soon as I can and see how it goes - setup on my Ipad was as easy as the Mini, and I’ll have a play with it and Chromecast from my android phone as soon as I can.

Might be time to start a new WiiM Pro Streamer thread?

yes, a new thread for the PRO

Top Bottom