• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Top 5 streamer devices by ASR community

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Hi I'm in the market for this kinda solution as well, wanting to connect my apple tv, to lg tv, then to studio monitors, still pretty unsure whats the best way here,

want to ask you, when using airplay from apple tv to the cxn v2, then from that, optical out to external dac,
will i still be able to control volume of apple tv using apple tv remote?

i figured maybe not, so I'm still scratching my head on how to achieve my dream connection, with only one single remote!

By using the optical out you will bypass the internal DAC of the CXN V2.

I tried this with AirPlay - Cxn V2 - optical out to the Cxa81 and you won't be able to use the volume control.

By using the analoge out (XLR and RCA) it will work. But only if you set the cxn V2 into pre-amp mode or connect the 12volt control bus

The apple TV won't be able to control studio Monitors through a optical connection.

The cxn V2 is only able to do that because it's a pre-amp + has a control bus Trigger.

Last edited:

WillBrink

RPi4 with RoPieeeXL is what I use and quite frankly is all that's required IMO.
As to not start another thread, is it strictly what the DAC does with the signal and past that that would matter, or can there be any differences between the basic RPi4 and various music streamers/transports offered? No doubt the law of diminishing returns kicks in fast, but can there be ni measurable differences, which may or may not translate into audible differences?

Has Amir tested any streamers transport units? I have not seen his tests, only on DACs. If there's a thread with some tests, someone please post a link. I seem to recall he did test the RPi4B & DigiOne Signature and it tested well. How would it have done as just an RPi4 for example?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Do you mean tests of streamers with digital (usb/spdif/toslink) outputs?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-chromecast-audio-digital-output.4544/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-review-of-sotm-sms-200-network-player.1846/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-sonore-microrendu-streamer.577/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...opi-neo2-worlds-smallest-audio-streamer.7598/
In summary if you've got one of the many competent DACs available then the streamer doesn't affect performance. If your DAC is sensitive to jitter, PSU issues etc. then there may be a difference, but in that case I'd replace the DAC with a competent one rather than pander to its deficiencies. You can find similar measurements from archimago comparing dedicated streamers with boards like the Pi and odroid and a few PC outputs.

WillBrink

Do you mean tests of streamers with digital (usb/spdif/toslink) outputs?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-chromecast-audio-digital-output.4544/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-review-of-sotm-sms-200-network-player.1846/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-sonore-microrendu-streamer.577/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...opi-neo2-worlds-smallest-audio-streamer.7598/
In summary if you've got one of the many competent DACs available then the streamer doesn't affect performance. If your DAC is sensitive to jitter, PSU issues etc. then there may be a difference, but in that case I'd replace the DAC with a competent one rather than pander to its deficiencies. You can find similar measurements from archimago comparing dedicated streamers with boards like the Pi and odroid and a few PC outputs.

Yes, thanx. That's what I was looking for and the info I wanted. I'm running a pricy streamer to my Anthem STR integrated, and assumed the audible aspect likely same as Pi4, but it looks cool among the other gear, so all good. I would be bummed if it actually measured worse than a sub $100 Pi unit however!

Slot

Yes, it's routine practice. Another standard practice is using HDMI Audio splitter with CC and using it as CCA.

Interesting. I have a Gen 1 Chromecast lying around, and need to add a new Bluetooth speaker to my LMS-based home audio setup. Does this mean that it's possible with the old CC and an HDMI splitter?

Kevin_Lane

Interesting. I have a Gen 1 Chromecast lying around, and need to add a new Bluetooth speaker to my LMS-based home audio setup. Does this mean that it's possible with the old CC and an HDMI splitter?
Yes!

snapcrackle

It's quite easy to replicate a SBT with a Pi and touchscreen. I use a 5" touchscreen with piCorePlayer, a Pi 3A+ and a Justboom Digi Zero, with coax digital output to my RME DAC. Just about ideal for my needs.

6006CB10-AB07-4A1B-90E9-704AC6DE1F7B.jpeg
Late in replying but - yes nearly replicated apart from having a dedicated IR remote control which the SBT has and this has not (no need to unlock a smart device - just point and shoot from the remote). Nit picking I know but still ....

Thermionics

I'm using a bunch of Raspberry Pi endpoints (3B+, 4B, CM4) throughout the house running Moode and connecting to a Windows Server 2016 box running LMS. The 4B/CM4 endpoints are all USB-connected to DACs, while the 3B+ endpoints are all using various HiFiBerry hats. Sound quality is excellent, and if I'm so inclined, I can synchronize output throughout the house for whole-house audio.

MrOtto

These "top 5" threads, "recommended me" threads needs a vote in the first post, which OP is updating when a new streamer is recommended in the thread, and people using this can vote for it.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using a bunch of Raspberry Pi endpoints (3B+, 4B, CM4) throughout the house running Moode and connecting to a Windows Server 2016 box running LMS. The 4B/CM4 endpoints are all USB-connected to DACs, while the 3B+ endpoints are all using various HiFiBerry hats. Sound quality is excellent, and if I'm so inclined, I can synchronize output throughout the house for whole-house audio.
The DIY/raspberry pi option, for Roon or Moode, really is pretty terrific, and shouldn’t be so intimidating. When the supply situation works itself out, I’m going to pick up some more.

Thermionics

The DIY/raspberry pi option, for Roon or Moode, really is pretty terrific, and shouldn’t be so intimidating. When the supply situation works itself out, I’m going to pick up some more.
With the Pi 4, no real reason to use a hat if you have a good DAC with a USB input. With the Pi 3, the results could be a bit hit or miss.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With the Pi 4, no real reason to use a hat if you have a good DAC with a USB input. With the Pi 3, the results could be a bit hit or miss.
Yeah I don’t use a hat. and I hear the pi 3 USB thing was overblown.

olbobcat

Has anyone seen any Pi4 in stock anywhere in the USA? It is hard to say it works the best when I can never seem to purchase one.

Thermionics

Yeah I don’t use a hat. and I hear the pi 3 USB thing was overblown.
I had some problems when trying to use a Pi 3 with an external USB DAC (Auralic Vega), so I wouldn't say it was necessarily overblown.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
“)
I‘m currently using a Pi4 USB to my DAC but as I understand it, the USB is not perfect…primarily due to the clock transmission. I just ordered an Allo DigiOne but for different reasons than SQ…but I understand the SQ will improve a lot as the board reclocks if that’s the right word. Amir tested the DigiOne and the Signature with high praise

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I needed Amazon support (family choice) which limits the choice ...
WiiM Mini, £90 GBP, works perfectly for me. No setup hassle of any sort, optical output to my DAC. Done.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I‘m currently using a Pi4 USB to my DAC but as I understand it, the USB is not perfect…primarily due to the clock transmission. I just ordered an Allo DigiOne but for different reasons than SQ…but I understand the SQ will improve a lot as the board reclocks if that’s the right word. Amir tested the DigiOne and the Signature with high praise
Please explain the bit about USB, preferably with evidence. From tests here we've seen no evidence that USB reclockers improve DAC performance for a competently engineered USB DAC. Archimago's tests with multiple USB sources connected to a competent DAC also show no difference in performance. Allo's DACs have measured well and been praised for it, but that doesn't make claims about UBS clocking more believable.

Oukkidoukki

Chromecast audio + ipad. Payed 10€ for ca. Thats price for streamer. Usb cables was too much of a hasle. Sound might be little bit better with usb but not much. I don’t understand playing with bluetooth when there is this lossless wifi thing.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Plug'n'play fan here. Would not be able to assemble a PI.. whatever it is called... by myself.

Got some streaming devices: Yamaha Musiccast, Denon Heos, Triangle AIO C, HK Omni Adapt +. I like Heos app the most.

For plug'n'play I think Yamaha Musiccast stereo devices are very good and affordable.

For tight budgets look for the tiny Triangle AIO C, preferrably to use with the optical output.

Top Bottom