• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Effect of Cannabis use on hearing

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you tried dry vaping or edibles?
Yes I bought a vape pen with 85% THC and smoked most of it but man alive does it make me cough because it is dry in the lungs and feels bitter and yechy. So I tossed that in the junk drawer and gave up on that and then I bought edibles several times and never had any noticeable THC experience so I bought $25 worth of edibles and ate it all and never noticed anything at all. I have a high tolerance for stuff. For example I eat 7 grams of zoomers(magic shrooms) and I get buzzed but nothing like other people describe.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sativa. I prefer Sativa. Smoked. To each his own smoked... self inflicted... indulgence. As to which is more harmful... smoked cannabis vs. smoked ham?... c'mon... lol. If one ate smoked ham every day for 6 years, or smoked a bowl every day for 6 years... which one is a ticking coronary time bomb? Self inflicted harm is in the blood test of the beholder. Seize the Day. :cool:
I like both sativa and indica and the best is to have both on hand and smoke them both. :D

ehabheikal

Probably. You can get *pure* strains, but most of the stuff available in the new dispensaries is hopelessly intermixed. The primary reliable indicator of how you will react will be the THC/CBD ratio. If it’s high you will get the reaction you attribute to Sativa and if it is low you will get something more like the Indica.

I’ve never tried the allegedly still pure kush strains (my experience is quite limited in general), but I recall someone here professing expertise in that regard. My own hypothesis is that, beyond that basic chemical ratio, the effect descriptions are more like high end gear reviews in TAS.
There are more than 200 cannaboids in cannabis not just thc and cbd. In this objective forum that might not be liked but the subjective feeling of the high although can be affected by many other attributes like mood or expectation, is affected by the complex chemistry of cannabis. Think how different strains of mango taste different. This is not the same for alcohol which has one psychoactive ingredient.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are more than 200 cannaboids in cannabis not just thc and cbd. In this objective forum that might not be liked but the subjective feeling of the high although can be affected by many other attributes like mood or expectation, is affected by the complex chemistry of cannabis. Think how different strains of mango taste different. This is not the same for alcohol which has one psychoactive ingredient.
The presence of cannabinoids does not suggest they are psychoactive or perceptibly psychoactive. There are three considered the primary psychoactives: THC, CBN, and THCV. CBD and CBG may have a moderating effect although they do not bind to the CB1 receptor (which is what makes the former psychoactive).

However, THC absolutely dominates the rest of the pack in research and perceived effect, hence its regulation as a drug.

People distinguish wines (and mangos) for their taste, not differing psychoactive effect. Taste is chemically complex, much more so than any psychoactive effects of fruit or beverages.

I absolutely agree that mood and expectation dramatically affect experience. My hypothesis is that if one could control for mood and expectation, THC and mild sedative effects from other cannabinoids would tell the rest of the story.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can chat @ ASR and listen to music for hours and hours if I have a steady supply of hashish/cannabis. The hash really relaxes me. I don't feel like I need to go out and do stuff and I am content to relax at the PC and just hang out with no worries on my mind etc. I smoke hash instead of flower because flower makes my asthma act up and with hashish I don't have those issues because it is concentrate and has less smoke. It's more expensive though. If I really want to relax I buy Moon Rocks which is flower buds soaked in honey oil and then dipped in kief to make a solid hard round ball of 45%THC stuff. I buy the blueberry flavor and it reallllly tastes like bluberry and the house smells like hot steaming blueberry pie after I smoke it. :D Moon Rocks cost me CDN ~$34 for 2 grams. The 2 grams can last me 2 days if I smoke my face off or ~5 days if I take it slow.
I don't consume cannabis myself, but your description matches with similar experiences from close people, sound like home :) Specifically on the point about relaxation and being able to get rid of the daily stress, which isn't a minor thing, watching some movie or listening to music. Actually the only difference is the law regime. You know, we can buy seeds legally but growing them is illegal. :rolleyes:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't consume cannabis myself, but your description matches with similar experiences from close people, sound like home :) Specifically on the point about relaxation and being able to get rid of the daily stress, which isn't a minor thing, watching some movie or listening to music. Actually the only difference is the law regime. You know, we can buy seeds legally but growing them is illegal. :rolleyes:
It used to be the same here in Canada. Europe needs to get it together and firstly let people with illnesses like rheumatism and cancer etc access cannabis and then after end prohibition entirely.

TSB

It used to be the same here in Canada. Europe needs to get it together and firstly let people with illnesses like rheumatism and cancer etc access cannabis and then after end prohibition entirely.
That's very difficult in the common market, it's essentially only possible if every EU country agrees.

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sativa. I prefer Sativa. Smoked. To each his own smoked... self inflicted... indulgence. As to which is more harmful... smoked cannabis vs. smoked ham?... c'mon... lol. If one ate smoked ham every day for 6 years, or smoked a bowl every day for 6 years... which one is a ticking coronary time bomb? Self inflicted harm is in the blood test of the beholder. Seize the Day. :cool:
As far as I know, smoked meats do not have to be unhealthy. If smoked without smoke, they are not harmful.

egellings

Major Contributor
As far as I know, smoked meats do not have to be unhealthy. If smoked without smoke, they are not harmful.
How would you smoke a food without using smoke, or a flavoring derived from smoke? What else produces that taste & smell sensation?

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
I'm not an expert... but nitrites and various other chemicals seem to be something to avoid... not to mentioned saturated fat, antibiotics in the feed and a propensity to eat it's own waste... if that doesn't equal unhealthy... then I've been mistaken for a long time... which isn't uncommon. I'll pass on the smoked meat... and smoke the flora instead.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
Yes I bought a vape pen with 85% THC and smoked most of it but man alive does it make me cough because it is dry in the lungs and feels bitter and yechy. So I tossed that in the junk drawer and gave up on that and then I bought edibles several times and never had any noticeable THC experience so I bought $25 worth of edibles and ate it all and never noticed anything at all. I have a high tolerance for stuff. For example I eat 7 grams of zoomers(magic shrooms) and I get buzzed but nothing like other people describe.
Blending weed with tobacco was the only way I could inhale it without coughing (tobacco supresses caughing). Once vapes became a thing, I started trying them, wanting to not smoke tobacco just to prevent coughing. Loose leaf vapes were hit/miss and I didn't find anything that could be coaxed into zero cough until I discovered the volcano vaporizor. Using it with loose leaf at 385° (no hotter) and running thru smallish amounts (.15-.20g) produces a vapor that does not cause caughing. The volcano also does the "pulling" for you with an air pump to fill up a bag. This means restriction free drags (no different than breathing fresh air) once you grab the bag, and room temp vapor all the time (both reducing lung stress). A friend I hadn't seen for years was over yesterday. She said she can't vape, and every one she's ever tried makes her cough like crazy and triggers asthema. I made lots of promises and had her try, and she was blown away. For any regular user, there is no better, and I know of no other vape method that won't make you cough.

As for edibles, if you are a regular user I'd expect 5mg THC to be almost not noticable at all, 10mg should be nice and chill and noticable, and probably 20mg to get the job done for ya the way you want.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Blending weed with tobacco was the only way I could inhale it without coughing (tobacco supresses caughing). Once vapes became a thing, I started trying them, wanting to not smoke tobacco just to prevent coughing. Loose leaf vapes were hit/miss and I didn't find anything that could be coaxed into zero cough until I discovered the volcano vaporizor. Using it with loose leaf at 385° (no hotter) and running thru smallish amounts (.15-.20g) produces a vapor that does not cause caughing. The volcano also does the "pulling" for you with an air pump to fill up a bag. This means restriction free drags (no different than breathing fresh air) once you grab the bag, and room temp vapor all the time (both reducing lung stress). A friend I hadn't seen for years was over yesterday. She said she can't vape, and every one she's ever tried makes her cough like crazy and triggers asthema. I made lots of promises and had her try, and she was blown away. For any regular user, there is no better, and I know of no other vape method that won't make you cough.

As for edibles, if you are a regular user I'd expect 5mg THC to be almost not noticable at all, 10mg should be nice and chill and noticable, and probably 20mg to get the job done for ya the way you want.
I've been admiring that Volcano. It's such a high entry fee though to vape. But I have heard nothing but good things about it from all.

Peterinvan

I've been admiring that Volcano. It's such a high entry fee though to vape. But I have heard nothing but good things about it from all.
Google "DIY vape made with a soldering iron and a jam jar". Total cost about $40. Vaping a half teaspoon of ground leaf does it for me.

I believe I am not inhaling as much carbon or other harmful vapours.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I said “dry vape” flower. Like a Storz & Bickel. Much less irritating. As suggested above.

Ra1zel

What is really strange is going beyond weed, how popular micro dosing has become amount groups of highly functional people. It would blow your mind to find out what folks are up to for good or bad (shrug).
Adderall.jpg

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
You have been around others who were under the influence who were 'Beethoven'. Many people who are extrodinarly high functioning use it all the time and many extremely talented folks.
You just don't know it.
I don't smoke it/partake in it all anymore and have no interest but it must be said that you two have no idea what you are talking about. You watched 'Dazed and Confused' to many times.
For many folks weed has the effect of increasing performance, especially with the contemporary delivery methods (that are 'clean' or free of smoke toxins)and the tailored varietals.

What is really strange is going beyond weed, how popular micro dosing has become amount groups of highly functional people. It would blow your mind to find out what folks are up to for good or bad (shrug).

In terms of hearing, music (along with quite a few things) was definitely more enjoyable and my hearing was more acute (and perhaps enhanced in odd ways as well)
Alcohol always dulled my hearing and I hate that and more about it. That is a waste from my vantage point. So glad I am not a drinker.

Anyway not advocating weed per say.
Used to hear much the same things about LSD in the ‘60s. Look what it did to one of the greatest blues guitarists Peter Green. Literally blew his mind and he never recovered from it! Why do we needs laws for the protection of individuals and wider society?
It’s because some people can’t handle what life throws at them, including perception altering substances. The War on Drugs has been a total failure targeting the supply side hasn’t worked. Maybe it’s time to target the users in the same way we tackle drink driving. Drug use funds crime and terrorism why should someone’s love of a joint put the rest of us in danger? Years ago it was suggested vehicles be fitted with alcohol breathalysers and if alcohol was detected the car would go into lockdown. A good idea and if expanded to include perception altering substances our roads would be much safer. It would be a start!

Top Bottom