• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Effect of Cannabis use on hearing

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
maybe some stronger stuff would be more useful and/or more 'audible' :)
And looks like there are a lot more studies in that area..
Not really interested in full blown hallucinations. Just a little hyper-focus (without stimulants).

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not really interested in full blown hallucinations. Just a little hyper-focus (without stimulants).
half a bottle of wine might be enough for that. Or try binaural beats (the Alpha waves might work here and you can probably find many focus-beats on youtube). Or some other form of focus-oriented meditation/yoga/etc.
Otherwise, with a true zero-stimulants-policy you'll probably just stay as you are :)

Last edited:

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

tuga

Major Contributor
I find trips to Walmart scarier than my hundreds of mushroom induced ones... even those 'shroom induced excursions while snorkeling with barracuda or getting dropped onto Muir glacier by myself for weeks, 40 years ago, (it has receded 5 miles since then). The barracuda is more predictable than the skinhead who is open carrying a Glock in front of me in the check out line of the grocery store and far more scary than if he had a joint behind his ear instead. I'm staring down the barrel of 70 years old and still smoking, tripping and listening to music in my futile attempt to seize fleeting moments.

Everything is relative... Still, I find self-inflicted harm a bit puzzling.

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
Ham. I prefer ham. Smoked.
Sativa. I prefer Sativa. Smoked. To each his own smoked... self inflicted... indulgence. As to which is more harmful... smoked cannabis vs. smoked ham?... c'mon... lol. If one ate smoked ham every day for 6 years, or smoked a bowl every day for 6 years... which one is a ticking coronary time bomb? Self inflicted harm is in the blood test of the beholder. Seize the Day. :cool:

tuga

Major Contributor
Sativa. I prefer Sativa. Smoked. To each his own smoked... self inflicted... indulgence. As to which is more harmful... smoked cannabis vs. smoked ham?... c'mon... lol. If one ate smoked ham every day for 6 years, or smoked a bowl every day for 6 years... which one is a ticking coronary time bomb? Self inflicted harm is in the blood test of the beholder. Seize the Day. :cool:
Every day, that's the problem. I eat smoked ham 5 or six times a year.

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
Every day, that's the problem. I eat smoked ham 5 or six times a year.
Your choice of terms like "problem" "puzzling" and "self inflicted harm" are pious and positively pontificating... keeping with the alliteration... time for a bowl or a bong... and listen to Coltrane's Bye... Bye... Blackbird.

ehabheikal

I wonder how does weed affect you guys while listening to music.

And if you know if any Scientific studies on this specific effect in particular.

For me when i smoke the Devil’s grass I experience few effects.

1) Bass is more pronounced, I would be perceiving it louder than it actually is

2) Better sound imaging, i could always tell where each part of the sound is within the stereo image.

3) i would pay attention to details that otherwise I wouldn’t notice, i would be able to separate background vocals from lead vocals and hear them as if i’m in a stage and they’re coming from two different places (due to the improved sound imaging as well)

4) Synthesia (when i’m really stoned) the different notes and tones start poping colors when i close my eyes.

Do you guys notice any particular effects on your hearing when you smoke?

Music just sounds better, as does anything else for example sex.
Weed is a give and take between intelligence and bliss.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not a user of cannabis, but as far as I know, the effects for listening to music vary greatly from person to person. I know people who really enjoy music being slightly under the effect of cannabis.
I can chat @ ASR and listen to music for hours and hours if I have a steady supply of hashish/cannabis. The hash really relaxes me. I don't feel like I need to go out and do stuff and I am content to relax at the PC and just hang out with no worries on my mind etc. I smoke hash instead of flower because flower makes my asthma act up and with hashish I don't have those issues because it is concentrate and has less smoke. It's more expensive though. If I really want to relax I buy Moon Rocks which is flower buds soaked in honey oil and then dipped in kief to make a solid hard round ball of 45%THC stuff. I buy the blueberry flavor and it reallllly tastes like bluberry and the house smells like hot steaming blueberry pie after I smoke it. :D Moon Rocks cost me CDN ~$34 for 2 grams. The 2 grams can last me 2 days if I smoke my face off or ~5 days if I take it slow.

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can chat @ ASR and listen to music for hours and hours if I have a steady supply of hashish/cannabis. The hash really relaxes me. I don't feel like I need to go out and do stuff and I am content to relax at the PC and just hang out with no worries on my mind etc. I smoke hash instead of flower because flower makes my asthma act up and with hashish I don't have those issues because it is concentrate and has less smoke. It's more expensive though. If I really want to relax I buy Moon Rocks which is flower buds soaked in honey oil and then dipped in kief to make a solid hard round ball of 45%THC stuff. I buy the blueberry flavor and it reallllly tastes like bluberry and the house smells like hot steaming blueberry pie after I smoke it. :D Moon Rocks cost me CDN ~$34 for 2 grams. The 2 grams can last me 2 days if I smoke my face off or ~5 days if I take it slow.
Have you tried dry vaping or edibles?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I work in a mental health jail with plenty of folks with substance induced psychosis. I do not think that cannabis has been demonstrated to cause schizophrenia. Clearly it can make it worse if a person already has it, or it can trigger psychotic episodes, but I imagine once people stop using it, the symptoms go away which would imply they do not have schizophrenia. Still, lots more research needed in this area. My mind is still open and if there is a causative link established, I will certainly be the first to admit it exists.
You must have a lot of heart to work with mentally ill people. I really respect that because I can't manage most of them but some are not so bad. All in all I avoid them because they can be very frustrating. I think teen use of cannabis is a no go for sure. Adults over the age of 25 are said to be not as susceptible to cannabis schizophrenia if it happens at all. I am against teen access to cannabis and it's derivatives.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Alcohol, of course, is one of our greatest killers, and there's plenty of evidence of harm to both physical and mental health, as well as collateral damage to family
I think mental illness combined wit alcohol abuse is a really big issue.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My experience is that cannabis makes you slow and stupid , so I quit 40+ years ago, but music sounded good then , mostly because hearing has deteriorated with age
I agree with slowing stuff down but I think the stupidity factor does not apply to me. I've worked on some pretty fascinating mechatronics while stoned and solved some very convoluted multiple faults gear while stoned on cannabis. :D

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
GPs here recommend olive oil:

I use one of those rubberized plastic suction/squirt bulbs that are designed for clearing babies nasal passages. It's just the right size to use in the shower and squirt warm water into my ears. Works awesome!

egellings

Major Contributor
I experimented with cannabis to see if it interfered with my ability to do my hobby, which is experimenting with electronics. It does, in my case. If I understand correctly, you are supposed to smoke the doob, not the electronic components.

birdog1960

Since VA and MD have it available in stores now, I guess I could perform some experiments.
not available to everyone in stores in VA. need an rx and docs need a rider on their license (for which the state get a couple hundred). I chose not to but it's always a no stress career option. Enjoying trying to grow it. Wasn't greatly successful first try but my buddy was and he shared

Top Bottom