• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Effect of Cannabis use on hearing

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
They should takeout insurance to cover the cost. Same with people who get tattoos, when the fashion for them ends, they will be claiming they should be removed as it’s affecting their mental health. Too many people have no sense of responsibility
Hmm, tattoo insurance... Definitely be needing misplaced sexual identification liability and bad late night eBay decision making insurance these days then I reckon.
Sign me up for responsible once weekly alcohol and cannabis indulgence insurance, within one's own home.
Where's my vape.

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Kinda like folk who are into motor racing /extreme sports then?
or doing nothing to avoid obesity.

Cigarettes, however, are interesting. Smokers may reduce health&welfare costs overall inasmuch as they tend to die earlier and quicker. Healthy people have these protracted departures that are inordinately expensive. Obesity leads to a protracted heart failure that is also quite expensive.

Such is the gruesome nature of these calculations.

Reactions: JRS

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
or doing nothing to avoid obesity.

Cigarettes, however, are interesting. Smokers may reduce health&welfare costs overall inasmuch as they tend to die earlier and quicker. Healthy people have these protracted departures that are inordinately expensive. Obesity leads to a protracted heart failure that is also quite expensive.

Such is the gruesome nature of these calculations.
Employers must take out Public Liability and Employers liability insurance in case they are found to have worked in a way that has caused loss or damage to others. Why is personal responsibility less important? Obesity isn’t always caused by a life style choice, many diabetics become obese. Many lung cancer sufferers never have smoked, we can carry on pointing fingers, substance abuse is dangerous and often terminal.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Employers must take out Public Liability and Employers liability insurance in case they are found to have worked in a way that has caused loss or damage to others. Why is personal responsibility less important? Obesity isn’t always caused by a life style choice, many diabetics become obese. Many lung cancer sufferers never have smoked, we can carry on pointing fingers, substance abuse is dangerous and often terminal.
In the US, people DO take out personal health insurance and personal behaviors DO affect your premiums... believe me, it's not a particularly good system as we've implemented it. I assume the 'suffolk' in your username is in the UK?

Anyway, to take this argument seriously and not just use it as an excuse to demonize cannabis in particular:

How much risk should people be allowed to take before the medical risk is no longer appropriately socialized? Is driving a car OK? Is riding a bicycle? A Motorcycle? Is it OK to eat red meat? Is it OK to consume dairy? Is it OK NOT to consume large quantities of vegetables?

Not eating vegetables is objectively a lot worse for your health than consuming cannabis via non-smoke methods. So if you're going to make people liable for one, you should have a clear stance on both.

Perhaps most importantly, how much surveillance should people be subjected to in order to moderate these risks and who should be in charge of evaluating risk?

BinkieHuckerback

NHS - if you're poorly you get looked after. The Tories are doing their level best to stop this.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
In the US, people DO take out personal health insurance and personal behaviors DO affect your premiums... believe me, it's not a particularly good system as we've implemented it. I assume the 'suffolk' in your username is in the UK?

Anyway, to take this argument seriously and not just use it as an excuse to demonize cannabis in particular:

How much risk should people be allowed to take before the medical risk is no longer appropriately socialized? Is driving a car OK? Is riding a bicycle? A Motorcycle? Is it OK to eat red meat? Is it OK to consume dairy? Is it OK NOT to consume large quantities of vegetables?

Not eating vegetables is objectively a lot worse for your health than consuming cannabis via non-smoke methods. So if you're going to make people liable for one, you should have a clear stance on both.

Perhaps most importantly, how much surveillance should people be subjected to in order to moderate these risks and who should be in charge of evaluating risk?
Many valid points! We all need to look at ourselves and ask is what we are doing right? Many people on the UK have private medical insurance and as you said must agree to exclusions to the cover. With the NHS there are no exclusions and it has been overwhelmed. The post above this one blames the Tories, playing the blame game. Our welfare and healthcare system has been overwhelmed by too many people having no sense of responsibility.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In the US, people DO take out personal health insurance and personal behaviors DO affect your premiums..
Most of us are community-rated at the individual level so this is not really correct. Corporations may get experience-rated for their population, so you or your colleague being sick might mean your employer pays more overall, but almost never that YOU pay more overall. There are, however, Tobacco surcharges. Pure private insurance outside of ACA is experience-rated. In that (small minority case) you would be right.

Community-rating at some level is a good thing though. My wife has an incurable cancer, she'd be uninsurable without community rating. She pays the same as everyone else at her employer and that would continue with ACA and Medicare.

Of course, people who refuse to take reasonable lifestyle steps to mitigate their own risks make it more expensive for everyone. Mostly we just eat it, as it were, since it is an intractable problem.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It will only get worse, too. Modern medicine is good at keeping people alive far longer, but of course many then need expensive medicine and treatments. This is all gold for the medical industry, but tough for us to pay for.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It will only get worse, too. Modern medicine is good at keeping people alive far longer, but of course many then need expensive medicine and treatments. This is all gold for the medical industry, but tough for us to pay for.
I'm going through that right now with my mother, who would prefer not to be treated. It's a bit hard to avoid.

BinkieHuckerback

Presumably you'll decline anything that might prolong your life to save us all some money.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Presumably you'll decline anything that might prolong your life to save us all some money.
Who, me? Luckily I'm not in any need. But a lot of people are.

BinkieHuckerback

Who, me? Luckily I'm not in any need. But a lot of people are.
Not yet you're not. What about when you do need help? The problem is with the provision of and access to medical treatments. There's more than enough knowledge, skills and expertise to go round.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
My experience is that cannabis makes you slow and stupid , so I quit 40+ years ago, but music sounded good then , mostly because hearing has deteriorated with age

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not yet you're not. What about when you do need help? The problem is with the provision of and access to medical treatments. There's more than enough knowledge, skills and expertise to go round.
I think we have a significant predicted doctor shortage.

BinkieHuckerback

I think we have a significant predicted doctor shortage.

UK is experiencing similar issues because of xenophobia. 'Marginalized and low-income populations will be especially impacted.' There's a surprise.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm touched by your concern, I guess. I'll pay for it. unless I have to buy the hospital.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
UK is experiencing similar issues because of xenophobia. 'Marginalized and low-income populations will be especially impacted.' There's a surprise.
Xenophobia?
It was predicted in the 90s when the Government of the day found most people in medical school were female. The burden of domestic duties rested and still rests with women. They pointed out if women were employed then it was likely some of them maybe a majority would only be able to work part time due to family commitments. It was estimated there would need to be a 40% increase in the number of people training to be doctors. The lack of education and vocational training in the UK is a disgrace. Was it Xenophobia when building sites across the UK were flooded with cheap East European labour. The Unions at the time thought it would be Xenophobic if they attempted to protect their members from joining the unemployment queue. The East Europeans were exploited by unscrupulous employers and the accusation of Xenophobia led to widespread unemployment on one side and exploitation on the other.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

BinkieHuckerback

Xenophobia?
It was predicted in the 90s when the Government of the day found most people in medical school were female. The burden of domestic duties rested and still rests with women. They pointed out if women were employed then it was likely some of them maybe a majority would only be able to work part time due to family commitments. It was estimated there would need to be a 40% increase in the number of people training to be doctors. The lack of education and vocational training in the UK is a disgrace. Was it Xenophobia when building sites across the UK were flooded with cheap East European labour. The Unions at the time thought it would be Xenophobic if they attempted to protect their members from joining the unemployment queue. The East Europeans were exploited by unscrupulous employers and the accusation of Xenophobia led to widespread unemployment on one side and exploitation on the other.
Capitalism.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
My experience is that cannabis makes you slow and stupid , so I quit 40+ years ago, but music sounded good then , mostly because hearing has deteriorated with age
Some of my best c++ code was written under the influence of some potent marijuana. Honestly, everyone handles it differently and I've seen some friends who should have never been on the receiving end of a joint, others who have been smoking their whole adult lives and are nearing retirement with successful careers behind them.

Top Bottom